Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Premium channel pricing question

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ONLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,381 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:27 AM

Thanks to Coolman302003, in another thread for giving a break down of the pricing:

"-If you still decide that you want to keep some premium channels after 3 months you certainly can do that, and the regular pricing is as follows:

Any single premium (except HBO) $13.99 mo.
HBO only $17.99 mo.
2 Premiums (no HBO) $25 mo.
2 Premiums (with HBO) $30 mo.
3 Premiums (no HBO) $35 mo.
3 Premiums (with HBO) $40 mo.
4 Premiums (no HBO) $43 mo.
4 Premiums (with HBO) $48 mo.
All 5 Premiums $55 mo."

but looking at that it seems odd that any multi-premium packages are $5 more per month if they include HBO, when the the price difference between HBO and the others is only $4.

And just where on D*'s site do you find that info?  

• coolman302003 likes this

Lloyd
Receiver : Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,253 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:13 PM

I didn't see any movies packages.  it looks like HBO IS $17.99 and all others are $13.99

http://www.directv.c...e&lpos=Header:3

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 ONLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 3,381 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:38 PM

That's the problem I've seen.  the only way to get the packaged deals is to not be subscribing to them, or not hacking Premiere.

Lloyd

#4 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,455 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 07 March 2014 - 03:17 AM

Correct the Watch More Save More discount on multiple premiums only applies when they are added to all base programming packages except Premier because all 5 are already included. I don't think the information is actually on the website anymore, I simply knew the packaged rates prior and added $1 to each of them and asked Satelliteracer to confirm if it was all correct. This was when the new price increase went into effect last month. He confirmed my pricing being correct in this post.

The only way I used to find the information previously was to start to build a new customer package on the website and you could click a [?] beside Watch More Save More which would state the following: 

Order HBO for $17.99 per mo. or Starz, Showtime, Cinemax or Sports Pack for the regular price of $12.99 per mo. and get your second premium channel for only $11.01 per mo., your third for $10 per mo., your fourth for $8 per mo., and your fifth for $7 per mo. (Please note: HBO cannot be discounted). 

However, that pricing was before the price increase of $1 per month went into effect for all premiums except HBO. Now when you go to that section and click the [?] it doesn't spell it out individually as it did previously currently it only states: Watch More Save More screenshot.png
The more premium channels (HBO, Starz, Showtime, Cinemax, and Sports Pack) you add to your package, the more you save. Save up to $18.95/month off the regular price when you add all five premium channels.

#5 ONLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 3,381 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:52 AM

Thanks.

Yes the page used to be a PITA to find and I guess now it is gone altogether.  :(  Dish has it right on the programming page at mydish.com for the account.  Laid out efficiently and easily noticed.

Even with the increases, I still can't figure out why the difference between HBO+whatever is $5 difference when the full retail difference between HBO and others is only $4.  Yeah, I know it is only a buck, but those bucks keep adding up every year.

Lloyd

#6 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 08:22 AM

Thanks to Coolman302003, in another thread for giving a break down of the pricing:

"-If you still decide that you want to keep some premium channels after 3 months you certainly can do that, and the regular pricing is as follows:

Any single premium (except HBO) $13.99 mo.
HBO only $17.99 mo.
2 Premiums (no HBO) $25 mo.
2 Premiums (with HBO) $30 mo.
3 Premiums (no HBO) $35 mo.
3 Premiums (with HBO) $40 mo.
4 Premiums (no HBO) $43 mo.
4 Premiums (with HBO) $48 mo.
All 5 Premiums $55 mo."

but looking at that it seems odd that any multi-premium packages are $5 more per month if they include HBO, when the the price difference between HBO and the others is only $4.

And just where on D*'s site do you find that info?  

Actually no difference than all of 2013 for the multipicks.

That's because the price increase this year was $1 for the first non HBO premium.  So prior to Feb 6th the amount was $12.99 for non HBO and $17.99 for HBO  -  a $5 difference.

By raising the price by $1 on non HBO, if you are comparing a single non  HBO to a HBO, the difference is now $4.   Prior to Feb 6th, a pick two without HBO was $24 and a pick two with HBO was $29.00 - a difference of $5.00.

For any combo with HBO that additional dollar increase on Starz or Showtime or Sports Pack or Cinemax had to be carried over to the first non HBO in an HBO combo as well.  Thus, that new price went from $29 to $30.  So we're back to a $5 delta with $25 vs $30.

DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#7 ONLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 3,381 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 07 March 2014 - 08:26 AM

Thanks for the explanation.  I didn't remember the pre-raised fee pricing.

I'll be finishing up my 1st 3 months after return and will be calling to make some changes or get talked into some 'new deal' at that time.  Currently I'm at the Premier level but not sure I'll keep it there.

Without any kind of addt'l discounts, most likely will switch to Xtra and 3 Premiums (HBO,SHO,Sports) and kick Max in and out as some series show up.  Note Starz is virtually not on the radar at all.

Lloyd

#8 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,169 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:59 AM

Thanks for the explanation.  I didn't remember the pre-raised fee pricing.

I'll be finishing up my 1st 3 months after return and will be calling to make some changes or get talked into some 'new deal' at that time.  Currently I'm at the Premier level but not sure I'll keep it there.

Without any kind of addt'l discounts, most likely will switch to Xtra and 3 Premiums (HBO,SHO,Sports) and kick Max in and out as some series show up.  Note Starz is virtually not on the radar at all.

I dropped STARZ six months ago because it was expensive.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#9 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:25 AM

FYI, I add and drop premiums depending on original content. Recently called to drop Showtime, while keeping the other 3, and they offered me $20 off/month for 6 months to keep it. I took it.

65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500

#10 ONLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 3,381 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:33 AM

Frankly to me, Starz has no value at all.  Their movie selection is poor and I've not actually found any of their original series to be good enough to want to pay for, though I do like Black Sails.  It just isn't good enough to want to pay for.  When I was with Dish, Epix was like that.  Some great blockbusters before others got them, but not many.  And the incessant repeats which reminded me of Voom's MonstersHD towards the end of their run.

And Jason, thanks for the info.  I suspect that I will be offered some sort of discount to keep Premier and if it is good enough I may very well take it.

Lloyd

#11 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:42 AM

I like Black Sails enough, and enjoy Davinci's Demons. If they dont come up with more stuff that will just be gaps in the year I dont sub. HBO has the hooks in me all year around and Cinemax and Showtime have some good stuff coming. I was sad to see Spartacus and Magic City go.

I really only use my Directv service as a backup now for recordings off local channels and stuff like FX, because I get most of that on my TiVo or streaming. They do have the lock on my $$$ with HBO, etc... series and ESPN/FS1. Once my contract is up and rebates expire, my service will be as basic as possible with premiums added on most of the year. When Fball kicks in, Ill add ESPN, but that will only be for 4 months out of the year.

65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500

#12 ONLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 3,381 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:47 AM

I keep HBO/SHO on all the time as I like the boxing on both and the HBO series I like seem to come back to back over the year.  I keep sports pack because I like the up and comer boxing matches shown on lesser sports stations, some real interesting fights with a good mixture of real stinkers1

Max for Strikeback and Banshee, otherwise it isn't all that interesting to me.

Lloyd

#13 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,455 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 23 August 2014 - 11:44 PM

Just wanted to update this thread to mention that DIRECTV has finally added a chart to their site explaining the pricing of the multiple premium packages. 

In addition, I've had a chart myself listed in my profile and in my signature for a while now. 

Banner located on the premium channel pages Multiple Premiums.PNG Multiple Premiums2.PNG

Although when you click Learn More on this page, the popup overlay is not working properly http://www.directv.c...emiums/overview

However, it works fine on the other specific premium channel pages:

http://www.directv.com/premiums/hbo

http://www.directv.com/premiums/starz

http://www.directv.c...remiums/cinemax

http://www.directv.c...emiums/showtime

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV   DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 8am-1am ET)   DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25 ($30 with HBO) | 3=$35 ($40 with HBO) | 4=$43 ($48 with HBO) | All 5=$55 per month 

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

Protected By... spam firewall...And...