Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Recently suspended my service... no access to my List to watch pre-recorded programs

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   iowaberg

iowaberg

Godfather

• Registered
  • 287 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:06 PM

I recently suspended my service due to some other obligations the next few months. I specifically asked the rep I spoke to if I will still be able to access my pre-recorded programs on each of my DVRs. The answer was a resounding 'Yes, It is no different if I lose my satellite due to weather.' Now, when I try to access my list, it says DVR service is not activated.

Obviously, this upset me, and I called back and now was told this isn't possible unless I reactivate my account-per the supervisor I spoke with. Frustrating to say the least.

I always thought this was possible. So, what have been others experience? Is this or is this not possible? Do I need to play 'CSR roulette' and call back and get someone else to see if it is possible?

Another example of the inconsistency with the reps answers.

Thanks!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:22 PM

If you aren't paying the $10/month DVR fee, you don't receive DVR service.

"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#3 OFFLINE   iowaberg

iowaberg

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 287 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:03 PM

If you aren't paying the $10/month DVR fee, you don't receive DVR service.

That's good and all, but it would have been nice of them to tell me that. I offered to pay the $10/mo but that is not an option either.

#4 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,719 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:06 PM

If you had disconnected the satellite cable before they disconnected your account you'd still be able to watch your recordings.  Once they sent the signal it was over.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,523 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:00 PM

If you had disconnected the satellite cable before they disconnected your account you'd still be able to watch your recordings.  Once they sent the signal it was over.

Only for a "little while" the DVR will eventually loose is authorizations and become a door stop

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#6 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,499 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:27 PM

It's unfortunate you got a poorly trained CSR.   But what do you expect them to do now?   Without active service, DirecTV DVRs are essentially boat anchors.  

HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#7 OFFLINE   MarkG21

MarkG21

AllStar

• Registered
  • 73 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:41 PM

You were given bad information but in the end the same result would occur

You were given wrong info and found out your DVR is inactive
If you were given correct info, you make a choice not suspending service and keep DVR service or suspend service and no DVR.
You were given wrong info and now you have the choice to keep your account suspended and no DVR service or activate your account to receive DVR service.

Everything is the same at the end.

#8 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,346 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:45 PM

It's unfortunate you got a poorly trained CSR.

The hard part is that they seem to so often err on the side of telling the customer what they want to hear.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#9 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,836 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:51 PM

The hard part is that they seem to so often err on the side of telling the customer what they want to hear.

And you're basis is what?

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#10 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,346 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:04 PM

And you're basis is what?

Based on the number of times people come to the forum for clarification on issues that didn't turn out the way the CSR assured.
  • Dude111 likes this

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#11 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,836 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:16 PM

Based on the number of times people come to the forum for clarification on issues that didn't turn out the way the CSR assured.

Yeah because a few thousand members here equates well. /sarcasm

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#12 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,523 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:47 PM

basing your "statistics" on forums like this one is biased, as most people with a good experience usually don't come here to say such, is only the ones with bad experiences that like to go "public"

• JACKIEGAGA likes this
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#13 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 07 March 2014 - 08:21 AM

That's good and all, but it would have been nice of them to tell me that. I offered to pay the $10/mo but that is not an option either.

A suspension of service is a suspension of service...your dvrs really shouldnt work at all during that time.....

#14 OFFLINE   VelvetUn

VelvetUn

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:16 AM

I was able to do this in summer 2012 without problems. Prior to suspending service, I did disconnect all of my receivers though, but I was able to watch all my DVR recordings. I do not remember if my unsupported wireless WH worked, but I don't believe it did. 

We kept our account suspended for almost the full six months and never had a DVR disruption. I also never connected it to the satellite during that time, just HDMI to the TV. 

#15 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,152 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:35 AM

I was able to do this in summer 2012 without problems. Prior to suspending service, I did disconnect all of my receivers though, but I was able to watch all my DVR recordings. I do not remember if my unsupported wireless WH worked, but I don't believe it did. 

We kept our account suspended for almost the full six months and never had a DVR disruption. I also never connected it to the satellite during that time, just HDMI to the TV. 

Did you disconnect the Ethernet cable and thereby terminate Internet access? Just wondering if leaving that connected might result in the DVR shutting down.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#16 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:35 AM

A suspension of service is a suspension of service...your dvrs really shouldnt work at all during that time.....

I only partially agree with that.  Why shouldnt you be able to watch old stuff sitting on the box?  The idea in my opinion would be that you are not able to record anything new, pause live tv,etc but in alot of ways the DVR is a VCR. In some ways, we own the content on the boxes and should have some rights to that.

Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#17 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 10:49 AM

What's done is done - If you call back and activate you account now - you won't be able to Suspend Service again until after 6 months from the first suspension.

"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#18 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:10 AM

I only partially agree with that.  Why shouldnt you be able to watch old stuff sitting on the box?  The idea in my opinion would be that you are not able to record anything new, pause live tv,etc but in alot of ways the DVR is a VCR. In some ways, we own the content on the boxes and should have some rights to that.

You don't own the content on the box either....you have the rights to view it while you have service...when you suspend service you dont really have the service.  if you want a dvr that isnt tied to some subscription, you need an independant OTA/QAM tuner solution, then you can do with it what you want.....

Edited by CCarncross, 07 March 2014 - 11:11 AM.

#19 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:06 PM

You don't own the content on the box either....you have the rights to view it while you have service...when you suspend service you dont really have the service.  if you want a dvr that isnt tied to some subscription, you need an independant OTA/QAM tuner solution, then you can do with it what you want.....

So I own the DVR but not the content on it?  I have owned DVR's deactivated all the time and the functionality still works just fine as long as I unhook the RG6 before dropping the DVR.

Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#20 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:35 PM

Remember joshjr, its intellectual property, so not all the normal "its in my possession so its mine stuff", applies.  Owned or not, those dvr's arent good for much of anything without an active Directv subscription, nor should they be.  Yes, people have found ways to make them work at least temporarily, but truthfully thats an unintentional loophole, and of course people are going to exploit it if they can.  Like people buying R22's, getting them activated with their other HD equipment, then when they break, demanding HR2x replacements, and just saved themselves about $100.

Edited by CCarncross, 07 March 2014 - 01:37 PM.

spam firewall