Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Recently suspended my service... no access to my List to watch pre-recorded programs

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:09 PM

Remember joshjr, its intellectual property, so not all the normal "its in my possession so its mine stuff", applies.  Owned or not, those dvr's arent good for much of anything without an active Directv subscription, nor should they be.  Yes, people have found ways to make them work at least temporarily, but truthfully thats an unintentional loophole, and of course people are going to exploit it if they can.  Like people buying R22's, getting them activated with their other HD equipment, then when they break, demanding HR2x replacements, and just saved themselves about $100.

Just in case that was a low blow to me on the R22, I had the R22 before we got locals here and they designated we were a MPEG 4 only market.  I dont buy R22's for that reason.  When and if I do buy, its usually a HR20-700 but somewhere down the road here I think I want to own my own HR34 or HR44.

Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   inf0z

inf0z

Legend

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:42 AM

I only partially agree with that.  Why shouldnt you be able to watch old stuff sitting on the box?  The idea in my opinion would be that you are not able to record anything new, pause live tv,etc but in alot of ways the DVR is a VCR. In some ways, we own the content on the boxes and should have some rights to that.

The easy explanation for this is legally you don't own it because you did not pay to own each show that comes on DIRECTV you paid for a DIRECTV subscription to view.  DIRECTV would have to pay through the nose to get the rights to give you an owned copy of every show you recorded.  Think of how much you would pay for a box set of a long running TV series.  Sienfield DVD box sets  start at like $100+

#23 OFFLINE   DNickelson

DNickelson

• Registered
  • 3 posts
  • LocationTulsa

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:55 PM

The only times I've ever seen a DVR still let you watch recorded content while the account was suspended or even interrupted was with the old TiVo receivers, like a R10, but i could be wrong. 

#24 OFFLINE   markfp

markfp

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:35 PM

Based on the number of times people come to the forum for clarification on issues that didn't turn out the way the CSR assured.

When it comes to customer comments, I think most forums regarding service from some company, be it DirecTV, cable, the phone company or whatever, tend to skew towards negative comments. People who are happy with their service rarely bother write to a forum and say how good it is, while those who either  have a legitimate complaint or just an ax to grind will write in, often several times.

#25 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:05 PM

Im still wondering why one would care about watching their recordings while under a suspended account.?

Most people suspend accounts because they are leaving the area and will not be able to watch or access directv.

This just sounds like someone just didnt want to pay their bill and now still wants the benifits.

Sent from my PantechP8010 using DBSTalk mobile app

Blue Ridge Communticatons

HD Basic Plus, HBO, Cinemax,Starz /Encore

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus analog Bedroom 5 and 6

G15 Internet

#26 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,309 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 18 March 2014 - 07:35 PM

This just sounds like someone just didnt want to pay their bill and now still wants the benifits.

It seems that these are the same folks that feels they are entitled to discounts just because 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#27 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,759 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:45 PM

I have two owned R22's that haven't been activated since July of 2012, I can still watch all programs on them today.

aka Tivoburkee

#28 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 12:22 AM

The easy explanation for this is legally you don't own it because you did not pay to own each show that comes on DIRECTV you paid for a DIRECTV subscription to view.  DIRECTV would have to pay through the nose to get the rights to give you an owned copy of every show you recorded.  Think of how much you would pay for a box set of a long running TV series.  Sienfield DVD box sets  start at like $100+

Suggest you re-read the SCOTUS Betamax decision, as you never "own it", regardless. Without that decision, you could not record ANYTHING on a DVR, whether a sub or not.

However, as you are not paying to use DirecTV DVR, i am surprised those would operate so long without a "hit". Clearly they must operate for a short time due to rainfade issues.

#29 OFFLINE   Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z

Godfather

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:04 AM

Im still wondering why one would care about watching their recordings while under a suspended account.?

Most people suspend accounts because they are leaving the area and will not be able to watch or access directv.

I can't speak to the question of doing this under a completely suspended account.  But if it is simply 1-n suspended DVRs that are part of an otherwise active account...

It could be someone who has more total DVRs than they need, some of which are owned.  That someone chooses to deactivate n owned DVRs but would like access to the already recorded content.  Not "need", but "like" or "appreciate".  At one point I had 5 DVRs, 3 of which were owned.  I'm now down to 2 leased.  I've appreciated the ability to view recorded content on the owned DVRs after they were deactivated.  At least as long as it remained available (which can be months if the cables and internet are disconnected prior to deactivation and the system stays powered on).

Kevin

My top 5 wishlist: 1) Free MRV HR to HR 2) Fix Channels I Receive so that it is accurate 3) > 50 SeriesLink 4) Usage of both internal and external drives concurrently 5) Support for other video providers as DoD (i.e. Hulu, CBS)   

DirecTV HR21-200, 2008 (DirecTV anniversary gift)
DirecTV HR20-100 (2TB eSATA), 2007
DirecTV since 1995

<><

#30 OFFLINE   F1aReD

F1aReD

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 08:11 PM

I still think it's funny how D* has exploited the DVRs. There is no such thing as "DVR service". They just don't want to call it a fee, which is all it is.

#31 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,218 posts

Posted 30 March 2014 - 08:21 PM

You think DIRECTV is all who does this? Every DVR manufacturer I've seen except maybe one has changed for DVR service. TiVo. Every cable provider. Even my replaytv. Just the way it is.

#32 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 31 March 2014 - 06:13 AM

You think DIRECTV is all who does this? Every DVR manufacturer I've seen except maybe one has changed for DVR service. TiVo. Every cable provider. Even my replaytv. Just the way it is.

Tivo charges a pretty steep monthly fee for Tivo service....isnt it something like $12-$15/month now?

#33 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 06:22 AM

Tivo charges a pretty steep monthly fee for Tivo service....isnt it something like $12-$15/month now?

Its $14.99 for the Roamios and $5.99 for the minis.

Blue Ridge Communticatons

HD Basic Plus, HBO, Cinemax,Starz /Encore

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus analog Bedroom 5 and 6

G15 Internet

#34 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,218 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 01:13 PM

Yep. Everyone is pretty similar for the first box. DIRECTV is one of the few that don't charge the same rate for every box if you have multiple.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...