Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DirecTV & DISH & STELA Reauthorization

STELA Distants

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 08 March 2014 - 01:10 PM

You're assuming that the SV channels are surely on the same (or 100% overlapping) spot beam as the LIL channels and I don't think that's a reasonable assumption.

This is not an assumption, the resources are out there to know this.

We have transponder maps that show where the locals are located (along with indicators that show the virtual remaps for areas where SV channels are carried, they don't reuplink them, they just remap the existing LIL feed):
http://www.dbstalk.c...refresh-352014/

The significantly viewed list is on the FCC site to know which counties and/or towns neighboring stations can be carried:
http://transition.fc...tions112013.pdf

Spot beam maps are available too that show where the signal starts to die off.

Edited by KyL416, 08 March 2014 - 01:29 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 734 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 01:51 PM

One thing I don't understand about that list is that it lists local channels that are in the market.  For example, Baltimore County is in the Baltimore market and it lists 3 Baltimore stations and 2 DC stations and it leaves out 4 Baltimore stations.  I would expect them to either list all of the stations in the Baltimore market or leave them all out and only include the out of market stations that are significantly viewed.

Also, I think any legislation should allow customers to opt out of receiving local channels (and the cable/satellite companies shouldn't have to count them as part of their subscribers for the purposes of negotiating).  I can receive my locals OTA and don't need them provided via satellite.  The only thing that they would need to monitor is that a local station doesn't modify its signal so it cannot be received by as many people or reduce the quality of the OTA signal.

Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#23 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,095 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 02:31 PM

"Where would you require carriage of a local station?"

Since the system for carriage is already in place, all channels and sub-channels would be carried.

I was looking for a where more than a what ... although I like the concept of carrying all non-repetitive subchannels.

The where question (for required carriage) would be "within their predicted OTA coverage" or "within their Nielson market" or "anywhere the spotbeam they are on covers".
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#24 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,095 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 02:53 PM

One thing I don't understand about that list is that it lists local channels that are in the market.  For example, Baltimore County is in the Baltimore market and it lists 3 Baltimore stations and 2 DC stations and it leaves out 4 Baltimore stations.  I would expect them to either list all of the stations in the Baltimore market or leave them all out and only include the out of market stations that are significantly viewed.

It may be as simple as the missing stations not asking to be on the list. If the station is already carried on cable systems where they want to be carried the list is irrelevant.

Also, I think any legislation should allow customers to opt out of receiving local channels (and the cable/satellite companies shouldn't have to count them as part of their subscribers for the purposes of negotiating).  I can receive my locals OTA and don't need them provided via satellite.  The only thing that they would need to monitor is that a local station doesn't modify its signal so it cannot be received by as many people or reduce the quality of the OTA signal.

There are standards that apply to OTA regardless of if they are carried by satellite. The stations would also be harming their non-cable/satellite subscribing viewers.
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#25 OFFLINE   hancox

hancox

Godfather

• Registered
  • 457 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 04:06 PM

It may be as simple as the missing stations not asking to be on the list. If the station is already carried on cable systems where they want to be carried the list is irrelevant.

...and that's exactly why the law should be tailored for cable equivalency, with regards to DBS.  Makes for a fairer market.

#26 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,095 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 04:36 PM

...and that's exactly why the law should be tailored for cable equivalency, with regards to DBS.  Makes for a fairer market.

I agree. If a local channel must be carried by a cable system it should also be carried by a satellite system. The big hole in the current rules for neighboring markets create a situation where a channel that must be carried by cable cannot be carried by satellite. And that is just wrong.

#27 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,642 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 06:02 PM

The broadcasters have too much influence in getting laws written that benefit them and not us.

And that is just wrong.

Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#28 OFFLINE   kenglish

kenglish

Icon

• Registered
  • 972 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah, USA

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:19 AM

The broadcasters have too much influence in getting laws written that benefit them and not us.

And that is just wrong.

If satellite and cable had their way, there would be NO local stations or broadcasters, and you'd just pay extra for everything.

The only thing keeping many local stations alive is retrans fees.

#29 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,187 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:03 AM

We have transponder maps that show where the locals are located (along with indicators that show the virtual remaps for areas where SV channels are carried, they don't reuplink them, they just remap the existing LIL feed).

Your argument doesn't answer why they carry so few SV channels.

SV channels don't have to ask for carriage, it is something that the provider wants to carry to be competitive with other carriers.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#30 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,378 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:51 AM

Your argument doesn't answer why they carry so few SV channels.

SV channels don't have to ask for carriage, it is something that the provider wants to carry to be competitive with other carriers.

I think that is a narrow view.  There are other reasons.  It could be short markets, orphin counties, etc.

Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

Protected By... spam firewall...And...