Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Cosmos: which channel for best PQ?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   skoolpsyk

skoolpsyk

Mentor

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:27 AM

Cosmos is debuting this Sunday on 10(!) channels: Fox, National Geographic Channel, FX, FXX, FXM, Fox Sports 1, Fox Sports 2, Nat Geo Wild, Nat Geo Mundo and Fox Life. 

I am in So. Cal. so not sure how my Dtv Fox 11 stacks up. Has anyone done any measurements comparing any of these channels for bitrate, compression, etc.? 

I'm assuming Fox would be the best, but I remembered how terrible my Dtv PBS station is--almost unwatchable on 100" depending on the programing (a flock of birds is just a mess of pixels). 

I was also thinking maybe more bandwidth is allocated for the Fox Sports since there is so much action.

Any thoughts? 

Thanks! 

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   WB4CS

WB4CS

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, AL

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:38 AM

All of those channels that are in HD are 720p. I believe DirecTV only has FXM in SD. I'm not sure about Nat Geo Mundo and Fox Life. 

If your local Fox affiliate broadcasts in HD, then their OTA (not satellite) feed should have the absolute best PQ since that OTA has the least amount of compression. As for DirecTV HD feeds of the mentioned channels, I believe they would all be more or less the same in PQ. Maybe someone with more experience than me in DirecTV's compression can further assist. 

EDIT: 720p is usually better at producing high speed images than 1080i, which could be the issue you mentioned with your local PBS station (PBS is 1080i). This is the reason that Fox and ABC networks chose to go with 720p in the beginning of HD - at that time 720p could produce better images for sports. 

I'll be watching the show as well and would want the best PQ as well. Personally, I wish there was a 1080p feed of the series but I imagine we'll have to wait for it to be release on BluRay before we get that option. I plan to watch it on National Geographic Channel, and have the DVR record it on one of the other channels as a backup, probably FX. 

As for why the show is being aired on so many channels simultaneously, I can't imagine what the idea is behind that. Seems kind of silly to me. 

Edited by WB4CS, 07 March 2014 - 11:51 AM.

#3 OFFLINE   skoolpsyk

skoolpsyk

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:53 AM

yeah, I figured FOX OTA would be the best, but I live in a rural area so that's not an option. I hadn't considered waiting for the Bluray, but I don't think I can wait that long; really looking forward to it! 

#4 OFFLINE   WB4CS

WB4CS

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, AL

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:57 AM

yeah, I figured FOX OTA would be the best, but I live in a rural area so that's not an option. I hadn't considered waiting for the Bluray, but I don't think I can wait that long; really looking forward to it! 

Me too! 

According to wiki, only the first episode is being simulcast. After that, the series will air on Fox with Nat Geo rebroadcasting the episodes the next day with extra content. So I'll probably have my DVR record it on Nat Geo. 

http://en.wikipedia....ce-Time_Odyssey

Edited by WB4CS, 07 March 2014 - 11:57 AM.

#5 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,911 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 07 March 2014 - 11:57 AM

It's only on all those channels for the first episode. After that, it's only Fox and Nat Geo.

I was just because Fox is the one that aired the "documentary" that purported the moon landing was a hoax, but will likely record Fox as well, since they get the episodes first for the rest, keeping Nat Geo in case Fox pulls it early.

Ohh, extra content? Good by Fox recording!

#6 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:04 PM

My local Fox OTA affiliate has 2 subchannles, so I am assuming their data rate on the main channel will equate with the PQ on DISH HD, or may be even less.

For those with Genies, or multiple HR-2Xs, might be fun to record more than one channel and do a comparison and post your results here.

If someone does this, a little info on the display device would be good to know, plasma or LCD ?  Inquiring minds want to know, LOL!

#7 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 07 March 2014 - 12:17 PM

I would think there could be more variability with Fox affiliates than there would be with Nat Geo, since each local affiliate has to get the signal to DirecTV.  Even if you get your Fox affiliate OTA, some affiliates have one sub channel, some have two, and some might even have three, so compression of the OTA signal could be different from affiliate to affiliate.

#8 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,701 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:17 PM

If your local Fox affiliate broadcasts in HD, then their OTA (not satellite) feed should have the absolute best PQ since that OTA has the least amount of compression.

Horsefeathers!

Unless your Fox affiliate has no subchannels (as is the case with mine), the OTA quality is not necessarily your best shot. In some markets, the Fox HD channel is a subchannel of another HD channel and both of them suffer significantly.

That OTA is your best be hasn't been a sure bet since subchannels started showing up. In some markets, the carriers can get direct program feeds from the stations and they could easily surpass the quality of an OTA offering that shares bandwith with one or more subchannels.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#9 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,937 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:21 PM

Which channel will have the least annoying logo at the bottom of the screen?

• gov likes this

#10 OFFLINE   skoolpsyk

skoolpsyk

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:46 PM

oh god I didn't even think about logos and programming ads during the program...

I think I'll record NatGeo and Fox both and then do a comparison and then stick with the lesser of the two evils when all things are considered.

#11 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,923 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:54 PM

Which channel will have the least annoying logo at the bottom of the screen?

That varies market to market too since Fox allows the local affiliates to use their own logo instead of the Fox logo during most programming. Some have a small transparent logo, others have a solid full color logo, and a few don't show any logo at all.

#12 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,937 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:54 PM

That is a plan then. The channel with the best picture quality and least shameless logos will win my series link. Not in that order.

oh god I didn't even think about logos and programming ads during the program...

I think I'll record NatGeo and Fox both and then do a comparison and then stick with the lesser of the two evils when all things are considered.

#13 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,117 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 01:37 AM

Is this going to run on all ten channels for every episode?

#14 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,923 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 08 March 2014 - 02:16 AM

Just the premiere, after that it will be Fox on Sunday nights and Nat Geo on Monday Nights with extra content.

#15 OFFLINE   PCampbell

PCampbell

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 07:18 AM

Watch somthing on each channel then pick the one you like best.

DirecTV since 1996

Slimline 5
HR24-100
HR24-500
HR24-500

H24-700
ATT uverse internet

#16 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 899 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 08:37 AM

Sounds like Nat Geo is the way to go.

#17 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 10:12 AM

Im going to wait and see if Amazon puts it up for download to my Tivo like any other fox show, those are 1080p/24 and outstanding. If not I may just wait for blu-ray.

FX PQ sucks lately.

65" VT50 / BDP-S6200
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500

#18 OFFLINE   Riverpilot

Riverpilot

AllStar

• Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:25 AM

I'm watching on my local Fox broadcast. The history channel logo, bright yellow and huge, makes the channel annoying to watch.

#19 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 899 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:13 PM

Damn, wish I knew Nat Geo was showing the original Cosmos today in HD. Missed most if it, and it doesn't look like they'll repeat it....

#20 ONLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,911 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 09 March 2014 - 02:45 PM

Does that exist? I wasn't sure if they shot to film or not.

This says exteriors were to film, interiors to 1" tape.

http://www.kcet.org/...of-the-new.html

Protected By... spam firewall...And...