Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Media Servers

Plex Media Share

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dawgfan63

dawgfan63

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 01:17 PM

Just getting into the whole media server idea. I have installed Plex Media Server on my Windows PC and I am able to see content on both of my Direct receivers using the Media Share options. None of my videos play though and have the x beside them. I have read that Media Share only supports mpg2 so I converted a video to mp2 and it does in fact play although the program is not watchable.

I am thinking of getting a Chromecast or the new Roku Stick device supposedly to be released in April but would save the money if could get media share working. Are there other media servers better suited for Direct?

Thanks in advance.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,508 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:27 PM

Get something else, the Media Share feature on the DirecTV receivers s#cks! it won't let you do trick play and if you loose your place in the middle of a movie you must start from the beginning. Perhaps it may be good for pictures and short videos.

• dawgfan63 likes this
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,985 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:33 PM

I recommend that you consider a dedicated media player that can handle the various formats you use natively. In this way, you don't need a media server, just a basic file server or better yet, a Network Attached Storage (NAS) system.

At its best, DIRECTV's Media Share initiative (much like Intel's Viiv that it was based on) died on the vine and spending money chasing down a competent server may never yield the results that you're looking for.
  • dawgfan63 likes this

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#4 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,879 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:58 PM

AppleTV is the way to go on this one.  Chromcast is still in its infancy and Roku, last I heard, won't let you play your own media.  Another option is to setup an XBMC client.  

I agree with peds48, Media Share on the DirecTV hardware is junk and should be removed in lieu of something that actually works.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#5 OFFLINE   mreaves53

mreaves53

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:16 PM

Agreed on the Medai Share on DirecTv.  I use a WD TV Live. It will play just about any file format know to computerdom.  It plays from my laptop, my laptop running many different media servers and from my Seagate Central NAS.  It also has many services like Netflix built in.

Thanks,

Michael
DirecTv Genie,
Genie Client,
Genie Go
Multi-room viewing
Vizo 60" LED w/ Vizio Apps
Vizio 32" LCD w/ Vizio Apps
Toshiba DVDR/VHS
LG Soundbar

#6 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,002 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:02 PM

AppleTV is the way to go on this one.  Chromcast is still in its infancy and Roku, last I heard, won't let you play your own media.  Another option is to setup an XBMC client.  

I agree with peds48, Media Share on the DirecTV hardware is junk and should be removed in lieu of something that actually works.

Roku has added a new video client but it only works with MKV video (supposedly it also handles MP4 but I haven't been able to get that to work).  I have tried many things (not AppleTV yet) but WDTV Live works best for me.

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,508 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:02 PM

a Jailbroken Apple TV2 makes a great streaming box!

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#8 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,026 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 12 March 2014 - 05:28 PM

Roku has added a new video client but it only works with MKV video (supposedly it also handles MP4 but I haven't been able to get that to work).  I have tried many things (not AppleTV yet) but WDTV Live works best for me.

PLEX works with Roku to stream your files to Roku. It's kinda nice.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#9 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,622 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:01 PM

PLEX works with Roku to stream your files to Roku. It's kinda nice.

Haven't tried it yet, but PLEX supposedly works with Chromecast as well now.

/steve

#10 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,002 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 07:07 AM

I just tried Plex on my Roku.  Having previously tried many media servers and clients, I am quite impressed.  The server is supported on Windows, Linux, OS X and FreeBSD platforms.  Setup takes a while but it is very configurable.  In addition to my local video files, it did a good job with some PBS programming. 

It seemed that the video quality wasn't quite as sharp as I had hoped, but my cataracts have been acting up recently (I'm seriously considering surgery) which probably explains it.

#11 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,985 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:01 PM

It seemed that the video quality wasn't quite as sharp as I had hoped, but my cataracts have been acting up recently (I'm seriously considering surgery) which probably explains it.

As soon as you can get insurance to cover it, do it. You're wasting valuable viewing time.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#12 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,002 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:26 AM

As soon as you can get insurance to cover it, do it. You're wasting valuable viewing time.

I'll be talking to the doctor tomorrow.  My Medicare Advantage policy will cover most of it, except for the prescription lens,  I'll probably be out of pocket $1000 or so but it'll be worth it..  

Protected By... spam firewall...And...