Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

2 Whole Home Systems on same ethernet network issues

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   babock

babock

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:08 PM

I have 2 HR24 DVRs on a home network. I am using the DIRECTV CINEMA Connection Kit DECA to connect internet to it.

I have a renter in my house next door who shares my internet wirelessly.

All was fine and dandy until a week ago, My neighbor picked up an HR44. I actually didn't realize he had bought this until last night. I came home and saw 50 shows that I had not programmed so I deleted them. They show as partial recordings and cannot be played. I also noticed some of my shows weren't there. It wasn't until I looked at my router that I saw a few new DVRs on my IP connect list that light bulbs started going off in my head. That is when I found out they had connected to the internet with their new DVR. They of course were not too happy that a years worth of shows weren't there anymore.

My question is can we isolate being able to see each others DVRs?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,813 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 07 March 2014 - 03:48 PM

Well assuming right now you have a single wireless router that you both you and they connect to, the simplest solution would be to get a second wireless router, plug its WAN/internet port into one of the LAN ports on your wireless router, and have them connect to that while you continue connecting to yours.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#3 OFFLINE   babock

babock

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 04:16 PM

Yes, I can see how that would help in getting their system on a separate subnet.

Unfortunatey I don't think I can do that physically. I have my main wireless/router/modem downstairs with a cable that runs upstairs to a switch. From that switch, it feeds a wireless access point that they join to and it feeds the DVR connection DECA.

I will see what I can do differently though. Maybe I can try your suggestion or at least test it out someway. Thanks for your reply.

#4 OFFLINE   jes

jes

Icon

• Registered
  • 908 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:15 PM

Try replacing the Wireless Access Point with a wireless router. Plug the WAN port into your upstairs switch. You will need to config the new router LAN to a different subnet & allow remote access so you can access the console from your network w/o having to connect to the other network. 

BTW your existing setup is a security & malware risk to all...  :eek2:

afterthought... You aren't sharing the dish & DECA are you?

Edited by jes, 07 March 2014 - 07:18 PM.

DirecTV since March 1998, HD since Oct. 2003

Protected By... spam firewall...And...