Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Want to install HD, but satellite signal trouble

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Taeriel

Taeriel

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 01:17 PM

The branch has been removed, earlier this week. The tech and supervisor came out at that point for the third visit detailed above. They did not provide a new photo with satellite locations at this point. I just have the report from my dad, saying that they couldn't get the "left satellite". I have been assuming that referred to the 95, but I need to clarify that.

Assuming my theory is correct though, I don't understand what the issue is. Perhaps it is as was mentioned above, that they want a few degree window around the three? Maybe they use signal from 95 as indicative of whether they have that window?

On one hand, I can understand why it is ideal to have tolerance build in. OTOH, if the size of this extra window stops me from getting service even though I have the actual signal I need... well, that needs some discussion. Will they want to lose a customer just for this extra tolerance window?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,768 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 02:50 PM

On one hand, I can understand why it is ideal to have tolerance build in. OTOH, if the size of this extra window stops me from getting service even though I have the actual signal I need... well, that needs some discussion. Will they want to lose a customer just for this extra tolerance window?

A discussion with them is needed.

If a branch gets in the way and you call to complain, within 30 days or so, they don't get paid for their work.

You need to understand their position and they need to understand yours.

I had branches grow and block signals. I couldn't remove the growth, but I was able to move the dish [a few times] a foot or so and get a clear LOS again.

A.K.A VOS

#23 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,746 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 08 March 2014 - 04:43 PM

DirecTV needs to be able to provide service through out your contract and "hopefully" beyond, otherwise they "lose".  this is the reason for the required window.  DirecTV would not want to install a service which they are paying for the installation to have you cancel in a few months.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#24 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,730 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:16 AM

The branch has been removed, earlier this week. The tech and supervisor came out at that point for the third visit detailed above. They did not provide a new photo with satellite locations at this point. I just have the report from my dad, saying that they couldn't get the "left satellite". I have been assuming that referred to the 95, but I need to clarify that.

As inkahauts noted earlier, 95W is off the table as it is not within the capability of the Slimline dish.

The key area is 99W, 101W and 103W as VOS mentioned.  That they've moved the dish from the old location means that you're looking at a clean slate with new branches. Looking at some older maps, it appears that SF SD stations are on 101W and HD stations are on 103W so you're probably looking at a SL3 dish.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#25 OFFLINE   Taeriel

Taeriel

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 03:54 PM

I spoke with the supervisor this weekend. Unfortunately, it is the 99W that they are having difficulties with. The ID hadn't been clear before with the way the info was conveyed to me. It must be just barely blocked from what I can tell - moving the dish over around the corner gets the signal for it. I think the chances of my neighbor finding that location acceptable are low, though, as it hangs out on top and over her deck. The supervisor did say he would come out again to brainstorm about other location options, though. I hope it can work out - I find myself less inclined to continue to pay for SD service.

I thought I read something over on the DISH boards about an attempt to start phasing out SD in a few years. Does this ring any bells? Has anything similar been indicated for DTV?

#26 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,746 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 07:06 PM

I thought I read something over on the DISH boards about an attempt to start phasing out SD in a few years. Does this ring any bells? Has anything similar been indicated for DTV?

While DirecTV has not made an official statement, we know that this will eventually happen 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#27 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,411 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:22 PM

One of Directv's VPs made a couple (unofficial) statements in 2012 suggesting that 2016 or 2017 would be the date when SD was gone, but I imagine that is one of those things where whatever date they may have in mind it is far more likely to get pushed back over time rather than staying where it is.

Considering the lead time they granted for phasing out the MPG receivers, any movement to phase out SD will be pretty well known and won't take anyone by surprise. Since they still perform new SD only installs for customers who only want SD, they haven't even taken the basic first step of ceasing to install dishes that aren't capable of receiving the HD satellites, so I wouldn't hold my breath.

I have even less knowledge about what Dish may be up to, but I expect the situation is similar. Both companies have a lot of SD only dishes and a lot of SD only receivers out there, and until natural attrition reduces those numbers to a manageable level, the plan for phasing out SD will remain at least "a few years" out there.

Either way, it doesn't help you with your problem of not having LOS to 99W. There's not really any way around that, if you don't have LOS to that location you can't get HD on Directv. Dish has a much wider satellite spacing, so given the photos you posted I'm sure they're not an option either. If you want HD, you'll probably have to go with cable.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#28 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,730 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:39 PM

One of Directv's VPs made a couple (unofficial) statements in 2012 suggesting that 2016 or 2017 would be the date when SD was gone, but I imagine that is one of those things where whatever date they may have in mind it is far more likely to get pushed back over time rather than staying where it is.

I can't imagine replacing 10 million or more receivers and a whole bunch of dishes in only a few years.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#29 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,053 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:13 AM

I can't imagine replacing 10 million or more receivers and a whole bunch of dishes in only a few years.

They can't;

It's virtually impossible.

Admittedly, Phil Goswitz's statement at that time was obviously way overly optimistic.   

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#30 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,730 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:03 AM

Admittedly, Phil Goswitz's statement at that time was obviously way overly optimistic.   

Even today it seems like a pipe dream based on the number of smaller dishes I see scattered around.

#31 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,122 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:03 PM

Id suggest that may be when they begin the transition. But it will take years.

#32 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,411 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:19 PM

Even today it seems like a pipe dream based on the number of smaller dishes I see scattered around.

Seeing a dish on someone's house doesn't mean it is in use. It isn't like Directv takes them down when you switch to cable or cut the cord. There are a lot, but not nearly so many as you think by counting SD dishes.

Some Slimlines are not in use either, but SD dishes are more likely to be "abandoned" for obvious reasons.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#33 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,746 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:33 PM

There are a lot, but not nearly so many as you think by counting SD dishes.

Some Slimlines are not in use either, but SD dishes are more likely to be "abandoned" for obvious reasons.

Oh yeah, there are a lot/  and the fact that DirecTV is still doing SD installs does not help the "cause"

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...