Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Resurrection

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:26 AM

We watched Resurrection last night. It's based on the French show 'The Returned' which is evidently really good.

Resurrection was OK, but people seemed too stunned with the developments int he story and didn't take, what I thought, were obvious actions.

Thoughts?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:50 AM

Greatly enjoy it and looking forward to see where they go with the story.

#3 OFFLINE   rbonzer

rbonzer

Legend

• Registered
  • 113 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:25 AM

My wife saw the preview and realized it is from a book. Same names and location. She said the book was short so she wonders what they will do. I haven't seen it yet but am looking forward to it.

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,746 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:03 PM

What bugs me about this show is that everybody was more interested in why they are back but not they are back and not aged

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#5 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,913 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:07 PM

Hooked so far. But hope they add more plot with each succeeding return.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#6 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 02:35 PM

This is just a new version of "The 4400".

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#7 OFFLINE   grunes

grunes

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts
  • LocationCollege Park, Maryland

Posted 10 March 2014 - 02:49 PM

OK idea, but slow plot development, and they will compete for the same time slot with very popular shows on other networks, joined next week by similar genre show Believe. 

And next week's previews give too much of their plots away.

Little chance of success.

BTW, I don't believe the INS guy could stay there that long and keep his job. Especially after he lied about getting back the DNA results.

What bugs me about this show is that everybody was more interested in why they are back but not they are back and not aged

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The show is probably a copy of Orphan Black. I.E., the dopplegangers are clones.

Either that, or they are miracles, and the show proselytizes Christian Theology.

#8 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,954 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 03:08 PM

hmm, how did I let this one slip by?

#9 OFFLINE   balboadave

balboadave

Legend

• Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:43 PM

We watched Resurrection last night. It's based on the French show 'The Returned' which is evidently really good.

Resurrection was OK, but people seemed too stunned with the developments int he story and didn't take, what I thought, were obvious actions.

Thoughts?

From wikipedia: The series is based on the book The Returned by Jason Mott. Although similar in concept to Les Revenants, it is based on a different source, and Resurrection has no connection to the French movie or TV series. Source: Slate (some spoilers)

#10 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:09 AM

From wikipedia: The series is based on the book The Returned by Jason Mott. Although similar in concept to Les Revenants, it is based on a different source, and Resurrection has no connection to the French movie or TV series. Source: Slate (some spoilers)

That's interesting. I'll have to tell the daughter. Thanks.

#11 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,570 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:46 PM

Where's Pee Wee Herman? (Oh...I guess this is not a remake of Flight of the Navigator)

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#12 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,570 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 05:16 PM

OK, now I've seen it, and while I always expect them to coast and pick the low-hanging fruit when the concept is based in something so emotional and superdramatic (which is why I abhor medical dramas---the drama is already there and built in and the writers can basically phone the rest in) I have to give them credit for not doing that, and for using real skill in crafting the story. They made it compelling. If things stay at this level of quality, I'm in. But if if falls very much, I'm probably out. Pretty good cast, too. I was expecting to not really be this impressed.

"Flight" did it first (or decades earlier), but they are doing it better.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#13 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,661 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 March 2014 - 06:03 PM

Lets see. Young Jacob is resurrected in a Chinese rice paddy wearing a clean red shirt and jeans. Things get funky after being immersed in a rice paddy. The audience can only guess how much time he spent with the Chinese before they shipped him to the states. When he arrives in the states he's still wearing the same red shirt and jeans. He spends time with Martin wearing the same attire. He is then reunited with his patents wearing the same clothing. After that he is admitted to the hospital wearing the same red shirt and jeans. That's a lot of time for Jacob to spend wearing the same "clean" red shirt and jeans. Looks like the show's wardrobe department operates on a shoestring budget. :sure:    

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#14 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:11 AM

Maybe as a Resurrectee his clothes never get dirty! It's a special power!

I noticed the same thing...that's one of the issues I have with many shows. Clothes are too clean or too nice, especially in 'era type' TV shows. Cars are too clean, teeth are too white, too straight, etc. Hair is too nicely cut and stays clean for long periods of time.

#15 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,117 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:33 AM

I normally let thing like that slide but even I noticed it when he wakes up on his back in the rice paddy but as he is walking toward the Chinese workers his back is dry.  I can actually see the not changing it at least for the first episode as the team displayed was a major part of the story.

My Setup

#16 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,570 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:00 PM

If that is what upset you I can't see how you can suspend disbelief for anything. BTW, this little boy did not actually disappear or reappear, he is an actor. And he has a different name. And you are not really seeing the actors, you are seeing light from a LCD or plasma light engine; it just looks like real people. But it isn't.

There is something called creative license that is a part of every show. Use your first instinct, and let it slide next time. Most shows have many more things that are wrong or improbable. Star Wars still thinks you can hear explosions in the vacuum of outer space, but yeah, I let that slide.

#17 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 504 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:22 PM

His mom made a point of asking him to wear something else in the second episode. She had to go get his belongings -- but then decided to buy him new clothes instead.

In fact, I think it was supposed to be a key (yet subtle) point.

#18 OFFLINE   IndyMichael

IndyMichael

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 924 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 30 March 2014 - 12:34 PM

ABC is making it hard to watch and easy to give up watching.  Somehow last weeks episode was canceled, it's not on demand, and I can't watch it on abc.com, since DirecTV isn't listed as a provider.  You think they'd make it easier to catch a missed episode.

#19 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,218 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 31 March 2014 - 11:54 AM

ABC is making it hard to watch and easy to give up watching.  Somehow last weeks episode was canceled, it's not on demand, and I can't watch it on abc.com, since DirecTV isn't listed as a provider.  You think they'd make it easier to catch a missed episode.

That's weird.  None of mine have been cancelled.  Was it a DVR malfunction?

I went to this link  http://abc.go.com/sh.../103-two-rivers  for last week's episode and it played right away for me.  ABC.com did not ask me my provider or anything.  I just clicked on "shows"  => "Resurrection"  =>  "Watch Now" on the left side, and then all the episodes were listed below.  I just clicked on the 3/24 episode and it started playing immediately.

Are you seeing something different?

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#20 OFFLINE   IndyMichael

IndyMichael

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 924 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 31 March 2014 - 01:04 PM

That's weird.  None of mine have been cancelled.  Was it a DVR malfunction?

I went to this link  http://abc.go.com/sh.../103-two-rivers  for last week's episode and it played right away for me.  ABC.com did not ask me my provider or anything.  I just clicked on "shows"  => "Resurrection"  =>  "Watch Now" on the left side, and then all the episodes were listed below.  I just clicked on the 3/24 episode and it started playing immediately.

Are you seeing something different?

I think it was a kid malfunction ;)  When I went to watch it on abc.com, it went to a page of providers for me to log in, directv wasn't an option.  Now that's it's been 8 days, I should be able to watch it.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...