Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR44/HR24 Ethernet OK with Whole Home DVR?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   parwarp11

parwarp11

• Registered
  • 4 posts
  • LocationVA, USA

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:31 PM

Hey all,

I have read a multitude of posts on this subject and have found a variety of conflicting opniions.......so I'll ask for my specific situation.

I have 3 DVRs: HR44-500 / HR24-100 / HR24-100. I also have Whole Home DVR service.

The installer connected the HR44 wirelessly to my netowrk thereby passing through internet connectivity to the two HR24-100s.

Simply stated....if I connect the HR44 to my network via Ethernet (CAT-5e) do I break Whole Home DVR across the three DVRs? Will the HR44 still pass through the connectivity to the HR24's?

The installers seemed adamant to not do this but had no explanation as to why.

Thanks,

PR

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,273 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:34 PM

Connecting your HR44 with an ethernet wire is fine.  And some will recommend that over wireless.

You will need to reboot the HR44 and possibly rerun network setup after you change to wired.

#3 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,550 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 10 March 2014 - 06:46 PM

My Genie is connected directly to the router and is used as the bridge for the rest of my DVR's.  Works so much better than wireless!

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#4 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,218 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 11 March 2014 - 04:09 PM

Using the Ethernet jack on a HR24 disables it built in DECA. For Whole Home, you can't have two methods of connections at the same time.

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#5 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,909 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 11 March 2014 - 04:49 PM

I think the installer used the ICK that was on my HR20-700 (which we were replacing), we just removed the coax from the HR20-700 and put it on the HR44-700 and it worked fine. There is nothing plugged into the ethernet jack (of course) on the HR44. Since the router is right next to everything, I suppose we could have taken the ICK off line and just hardwired an ethernet connecfion from the 44 to the router, but  he chose not to do that.

Any opinions which of the two ways we had to connect is the better? (using existing ICK or going ethernet direct between HR44 and router)

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#6 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,369 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 11 March 2014 - 04:52 PM

Some installers got 

I think the installer used the ICK that was on my HR20-700 (which we were replacing), we just removed the coax from the HR20-700 and put it on the HR44-700 and it worked fine. There is nothing plugged into the ethernet jack (of course) on the HR44. Since the router is right next to everything, I suppose we could have taken the ICK off line and just hardwired an ethernet connecfion from the 44 to the router, but  he chose not to do that.

Any opinions which of the two ways we had to connect is the better? (using existing ICK or going ethernet direct between HR44 and router)

I'd go for the less equipment, direct to HR44. If you've plenty of room, keep the ICK for backup. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,367 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 11 March 2014 - 04:53 PM

neither way is better, they both accomplish the same results.  however, having the CCK lets you access the internet on the other boxes while the Genie reboots.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#8 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,369 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 04:55 PM

My Genie is connected directly to the router and is used as the bridge for the rest of my DVR's.  Works so much better than wireless!

Same here, and it's nice and clean. 

Your installer may have been one that hooked up an HR24 direct to ethernet working on a whole house system and got burned. Brings the LAN down as far as DIRECTV boxes go and the 44 is very different in that respect. 

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,367 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 04:58 PM

Same here, and it's nice and clean. 

Your installer may have been one that hooked up an HR24 direct to ethernet working on a whole house system and got burned. Brings the LAN down as far as DIRECTV boxes go and the 44 is very different in that respect. 

I have said it many times, installers do not get pay to connect directly, they get paid to install CCK or to connect wireless 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#10 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,665 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 05:37 PM

I have said it many times, installers do not get pay to connect directly, they get paid to install CCK or to connect wireless

That would also explain this:

The installers seemed adamant to not [connect CAT5] but had no explanation as to why.

/steve

#11 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,367 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 05:46 PM

That would also explain this:

Exactly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#12 OFFLINE   parwarp11

parwarp11

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts
  • LocationVA, USA

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:13 PM

Thanks all! Sounds like the way to go is to connect the HR44 via ethernet (this is why I wired the house Cat6 and am loathe to keep it on wireless) and the HR24s pick up the internet via the HR44. Now I understand that its the HR24's that can't do whole-home while having an ethernet connected directly to one of them but ok on the HR44.........the installer was saying that you cant connect ethernet to the HR44 as well....clearly erroneous.

Will try this all out tomrrow and advise.

Thank!

PR

#13 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,369 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:02 PM

You got it!

If no joy on first connect, hit reset Network to defaults.

#14 OFFLINE   lflorack

lflorack

Godfather

• Registered
  • 472 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:39 AM

I've asked this question here, so I'll try not to repost it exactly the same again but this may have been the better place to ask this.

I'm confused about an issue I'm having with using a wired internet connection to my HR44 that seems to be causing my HR20 to lose connection to the HR44 -- so much so that it eventually couldn't see it even after rebooting multiple times.  Once I disconnected the hardwire from the HR44 and rebooted it to run wirelessly, MRV was again working.  However, I then have no internet. 

Everything I've read here says the way I have it connected in my wiring diagram (see my sig for the link) should work fine.  Please help.  Thank you.

Links: My System Diagram / System Pix
Yamaha: RX-A2010, Samsung: UN55B8000, Oppo; BDP-93,,Yamaha: CDC-685
Klipsch: (2) RF-83, (1) RC-64, (2) RVX-54, (2) RSX-5, SVS: (1) SB13-Ultra
AppleTV, Roku3, Amazon: FireStick, ACP: J15BLK 1.5 kVA Power Conditioner/UPS
See links above for additional system details.

#15 OFFLINE   EricRobins

EricRobins

Godfather

• Registered
  • 463 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:48 AM

I think I am confused..... If a customer has an HR44 and other SWiM capable boxes, and wants WHDVR he has two options: 1. CCK, which connects to both router and multi-switch 2. through HR44, where HR44 acts as bridge and replaces CCK. All WHDVR requests go back to HR44. Is this correct?

#16 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,924 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:16 AM

Whole home or MRV can work with no router connection as long as each H / HR2x has a DECA module except HR24, H25, HR34/44 have DECA built-in.

Once a connection to the router is made (and units rebooted), they all have internet.  This connection can be one of several ways,

Wired to 34 or 44 Ethernet port.

Wired to a CCK

Wifi to a WCCK

wifi to a HR44

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#17 OFFLINE   RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv

Icon

• Registered
  • 651 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:51 AM

When I had my HR44 installed a few months ago, the installer was demanding to attach it with a CCK and not directly via ethernet.  I literally begged him to let me try it that way first.  He was pissed because it meant he'd have to sit there and wait for the HR44 to reboot before he could see what happened.  Luckily, they reboot quickly. 

He was absolutely amazed that it worked and that I had internet connectivity, but as he left the house he said, "I was told you have to use the CCK, and even though I see a direct ethernet connection works on your system, I'll still use it, because if the customer has a problem, and someone has to come back to fix it, I'll get dinged for doing the wrong installation."  He seemed to think my setup was somehow an exception to the rule.

So, it seems right or wrong has nothing to do with what installers do.  And to be honest, I can't really blame a guy who's going to get in trouble if he does it a different way, even if it is a way that works.

SMK

#18 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,550 posts
  • LocationColbert, WA

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:56 AM

When I had my HR44 installed a few months ago, the installer was demanding to attach it with a CCK and not directly via ethernet.  I literally begged him to let me try it that way first.  He was pissed because it meant he'd have to sit there and wait for the HR44 to reboot before he could see what happened.  Luckily, they reboot quickly. 

He was absolutely amazed that it worked and that I had internet connectivity, but as he left the house he said, "I was told you have to use the CCK, and even though I see a direct ethernet connection works on your system, I'll still use it, because if the customer has a problem, and someone has to come back to fix it, I'll get dinged for doing the wrong installation."  He seemed to think my setup was somehow an exception to the rule.

So, it seems right or wrong has nothing to do with what installers do.  And to be honest, I can't really blame a guy who's going to get in trouble if he does it a different way, even if it is a way that works.

SMK

Peds has said many times, installers are ordered to use the CCK (or Wcck) regardless of other options or customer choice.  It's been recommended to just change it after the installer leaves.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#19 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,924 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:03 PM

They apparently aren't required to use a CCK in this area.  Of the 8 HR44 installations that I've been involved with in the last year, all  have been wifi even though they were charged 19.95 plus tax for a CCK.  (otherwise free)

I've changed a couple to deca modules / PI.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#20 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,367 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:53 PM

Peds has said many times, installers are ordered to use the CCK (or Wcck) regardless of other options or customer choice.  It's been recommended to just change it after the installer leaves.

Correct, installers get paid to connect CCK, they don't get paid to use ethernet 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...