Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Cinemax

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 807 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 10 March 2014 - 06:06 PM

I subbed to cinemax to watch something in particular, and when I went to cinemax's web site, I saw the channel line up, which shows 4 more channels than what Dish offers.

Then I looked at Direct's cinemax offering, and they show the same as what Dish offers, plus 2 more [ thriller max, and movie max]

"outer" max and "latino" max are missing on both sat providers.

The bite is Dish is the same cost as Direct, but is missing "thriller" and "movie" max.

Whats up with this? :raspberry

What happened to" you get what you pay for"?

Edited by satcrazy, 10 March 2014 - 06:09 PM.

chris

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,298 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 06:09 PM

Did you get the program you wanted to see?
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 807 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 06:11 PM

Come on James, of course I did.

That's not the question.

chris

#4 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,298 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 06:17 PM

It is a different rant. One would be "I paid $14 to watch something in particular but DISH didn't have it!" The other would be why does DISH have five Cinemax channels for $14 and DirecTV have eight Cinemax channels for $13.99. (Noting that only four of the five channels DISH has are available to DirecTV's SD customers.)

It is always good to know what the problem is.

The answer is that the Cinemax channels DISH carries are the channels DISH has contracted with Cinemax to carry. They did not add the three new HD only channels when DirecTV added them a few years ago,
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#5 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 807 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 06:24 PM

It is a different rant. One would be "I paid $14 to watch something in particular but DISH didn't have it!" The other would be why does DISH have five Cinemax channels for $14 and DirecTV have eight Cinemax channels for $13.99.

It is always good to know what the problem is.

Of course.

The question is the second part.

The program I followed is on the main Max channel which everyone carries.

chris

#6 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,904 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:25 PM

Cinemax isn't the only one in this boat.  There are several premium channels that Dish doesn't even have in SD I believe... and several HD feeds that they do not have.

There doesn't seem to be anywhere near the interest or threatening to quit when premium channel negotiations come up, though...  because I have to think there have been chances to add some of these missing premiums before now and yet both Dish and the channel provider were ok not doing so.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#7 OFFLINE   mwdxer

mwdxer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 375 posts
  • LocationSeaside Oregon

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:52 AM

I wonder for providers that have all of the Cinemax channels charge the same price per subsciber?

#8 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 06:24 AM

By the way directv does have latino max

Sent from my PantechP8010 using DBSTalk mobile app

Blue Ridge Communticatons

HD Basic Plus, HBO, Cinemax,Starz /Encore

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus analog Bedroom 5 and 6

G15 Internet

#9 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,176 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:27 AM

Cinemax isn't the only one in this boat.  There are several premium channels that Dish doesn't even have in SD I believe... and several HD feeds that they do not have

There doesn't sėem to be anywhere near the interest or threatening to quit when premium channel negotiations come up, though...  because I have to think there have been chances to add some of these missing premiums before now and yet both Dish and the channel provider were ok not doing so.

Most Cinamax movies are on HBO. The previews are very helpful when they come around.

Edited by Paul Secic, 11 March 2014 - 10:32 AM.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#10 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 807 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 03:46 PM

Cinemax isn't the only one in this boat.  There are several premium channels that Dish doesn't even have in SD I believe... and several HD feeds that they do not have.

There doesn't seem to be anywhere near the interest or threatening to quit when premium channel negotiations come up, though...  because I have to think there have been chances to add some of these missing premiums before now and yet both Dish and the channel provider were ok not doing so.

Yeah, that's interesting. I don't normally sub to a premium because of the repetition, but if there is a series I want to follow I will. So, I just never noticed the lack of complete channel listing.

It looks like comcast carries max with all the channels, and damondlt says direct has latino, so direct is only missing one then.

If  the provider is only offering limited channel line up, it really shouldn't cost the same as the competition [ who offers more] as premiums are "stand alone's", not package deals.

Makes premiums even less appealing on cost point basis.

chris

#11 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,904 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 11 March 2014 - 06:56 PM

As far as the cost goes...   Cinemax was $8-$10 when there was just one Cinemax channel.  When they started having more, I don't remember the channel package price going up sharply...  By which I mean...  It didn't go from $8-$10 for one channel to $30+ for all of the Cinemax channels.

So... basically people were used to Cinemax costing whatever it cost and you get whatever channel you get.  The fact that Cinemax themselves doesn't make a bigger deal of this is telling, to me...  I never see Cinemax commercials, for example, saying "leave Dish because they won't carry Cinemax 12" or whatever channel...

Viacom, Disney, AMC, etc. had disputes and negotiations and they always want Dish to carry all of their channels... especially when they launch a new one...  But I honestly can't remember the company (Cinemax) or Dish or even subscribers making a big stink at any point over any of the missing premiums.

People would scream if Dish dropped the whole Cinemax suite I expect... but no issues with some channels being missing... and more to the point Cinemax keeps being ok not trying to get Dish to carry those missing channels.

It's very weird to me in light of how almost all the other contracts go for channels.

#12 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,298 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 07:35 PM

Cinemax may be getting the same payment from DISH regardless of how many channels are carried. And while getting all the channels carried would increase exposure of the channels - it isn't the same as with commercial channels (like ESPN) where not carrying a channel would cut into how many people would see their ads. As long as the core channels are carried, failure to carry "the rest" would not be a big deal for Cinemax. They would not be losing money.

As far as DISH goes, they wouldn't be saving money by not carrying the extra channels - but three more HD feeds is three less feeds of other channels that they can carry. Back in 2008 DISH carried five channels of Cinemax with only Cinemax East in HD. In 2008 they added the HD feeds for three more of the five channels. Status has been quo since then. (DirecTV added the extra three Max channels in 2011 - only in HD.)

Perhaps DISH will add the remaining channels at some point ... but as Stewart pointed out, there does not seem to be a huge outcry for them.

BTW: Showtime was pulled from Time Warner Cable systems last year for a month during a larger dispute with CBS. It isn't impossible for a premium package to be involved in a dispute.

#13 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 807 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:21 PM

Your right, not a big deal for subs, it appears.

Even if those extra channels were SD, it would at least be the full line up, in my thinking. If I subbed Max on a regular basis, I'd want the complete line up, even in SD. Maybe dish wanted the extra channel space for info mercials, and Cinemax gets paid the same. Much as I like dish, direct still gives the extra channels for the same moola. I will look at other premiums to see who provides what for how much. It has got my attention now.

Encore has little in HD but as far as I know, it is their full line up. Sorry to say the shift in encore's programming is going backwards. Not what I would call a big plus for the 250 package.

yeah, I guess it sounds like a bit of a rant, but bang for your buck is  less of a sport and more of a necessity these days.

Just sayin'..........

chris

#14 OFFLINE   mwdxer

mwdxer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 375 posts
  • LocationSeaside Oregon

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:22 PM

I don't think the average subscriber realizes how many extra Cinemax or HBO channels they are missing either. as they never had them, then, they do not know what they are missing. I remember back before I got Dish, I had no idea how many channels they had, as I never had seen many of them. Now I would miss many of them as I have been watching them for years. My friend who lives in KC has Time Warner and they get several channels we do not get with Dish like BBC World and CNN International. I have seen both of them at times, so I really want them. The Roku has both channels, but often the pq is not the best.  The pq on the Roku varies all over the board. It is nice to have access to the channels, but the pq with Dish is more stable.

#15 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 807 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:09 AM

After looking at both premium line ups, I see that direct does offer a few more in each.

However, since cost is an issue to me, I won't sub long term to any premium.

It's just annoying that cost is the same, even though the offering is not.

chris

#16 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,904 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 12 March 2014 - 01:03 PM

To be fair... and I realize this has very little to do with DBS... but in my city there is a gas station selling gas on average 10 cents less per gallon than all the others around it... including other franchise locations of the same gas company...  no reason I can come up with selling the same gas as their other locations for 10 cents less.

It's not apples to apples...  but some stuff does cost different at different locations when it is exactly the same...  so the idea of more costing less somewhere (the Cinemax channels) doesn't entirely surprise me either.

#17 OFFLINE   ehilbert1

ehilbert1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 05:54 PM

After looking at both premium line ups, I see that direct does offer a few more in each.

However, since cost is an issue to me, I won't sub long term to any premium.

It's just annoying that cost is the same, even though the offering is not.

You would thinking raising AEP $20 in the last 2 years would give is more HD premiums or make the SD premiums in HD now. $20 and not a thing added. No spots pack nothing. That's why Directs premier pack look so good.  The have more HD premiums and the sports pack. Oh well what can do?

#18 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,298 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:49 PM

You would thinking raising AEP $20 in the last 2 years would give is more HD premiums or make the SD premiums in HD now. $20 and not a thing added. No spots pack nothing. That's why Directs premier pack look so good. The have more HD premiums and the sports pack. Oh well what can do?

The $20 (since 2011) includes $10 applied to AT250 and lower packages. AEP+Sports Pack is only $4 more than Premier. DISH gives you the choice of having AEP without paying for all the RSNs (a desired choice if you read the threads asking for sports to be sold separately). And for those who want all RSNs it is cheaper to add them to a lower package on DISH than on DirecTV.

If one thinks another carrier has a better deal they can always take it.

#19 OFFLINE   ehilbert1

ehilbert1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:09 PM

Why does it always have to end in that? If you don't like it leave. Why can't people have a nice discussion? I get it your going to protect Dish no matter what. I like Dish I wasn't bashing it. All I was wondering is why after a $20 increase do will still have less HD premiums than Direct. See you take that as bashing Dish so you have to pretty much say..... Leave if you don't like it.

The sad thing about the internet is people wouldn't say half the crap they do to people if they were in person.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk
  • damondlt likes this

#20 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,298 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:36 PM

You asked a leading question. Isn't that the answer that you were looking for? :)

Your comment certainly was not a compliment to DISH. But I suppose compliments are not allowed and complaints must always rule the day?

PS: I'd suggest you find another provider if we were having this discussion in person. Hopefully you're not suggesting that there would be any repercussions from making such a suggestion which could be considered a threat.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...