Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Is GenieGo a good replacement for an original Slingbox?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:36 PM

I have a HR44-500, HR21 and a C41W. The HR21 is used almost exclusively with a original Slingbox so my wife can watch her soap operas on her MacbookPro. I also watch it on the road and it feeds a seldom used 61" projection TV. I have been wanting to upgrade but don't want to spend the money for a new Slingbox 300 or 500. I hate having to change the format to SD and back on the HR21 when we use the Slingbox. I tried a Vulkano box last year and was not happy with picture quality and quirkiness. 

Thinking of getting a GenieGO and ditching the HR22. I would put the 61" on OTA/DVD only duty.

I understand you can stream live (almost) if you first start a recording. 

Thoughts from those who use the Genie GO?

Is it true you can only watch on wi-fi and not 4G or LTE on an I phone?

I saw a thread that said a new model/version was due out soon. Any changes?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,285 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:03 PM

With the GenieGo, you can stream anything on any of your DVRs, but yes, it only works on WiFi.

If you transcode your shows and load them on your mobile device before you leave your home, you can watch those show w/o any connectivity.

I bought mine so I could watch my favorite hockey team when they played on the west coast while traveling. But out-of-market games (even though I paid for NHL CI), aren't available. You can still transcode and watch your local RSN or national games though. 

#3 OFFLINE   brian26339

brian26339

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 07:23 AM

I have a GenieGo and use it fairly often. I like it ok but would like to see an improved version.

I use it almost exclusively to transcode a program and then download it to my iPad.

My experience with streaming it out of home is that the picture quality has been marginal at best. Streaming is so dependent on the available internet speeds. I stay at a lot of hotels. Most seem to not have enough bandwidth to stream a decent quality picture consistently. That wouldn't be any different with a sling though.

So for the way I use it, it works.....ok. The transcode is about 1:1. This means it takes 1 hr to transcode a 1 hr program and make it ready for download. Download takes 3 to 5 mins for the same 1 hr program. I usually do the transcode overnight and download to the ipad the next day.

My biggest gripe is the quality of the transcodes. They are not HD. On my ipad they are watchable. Same with the iphone. On my windows laptop with a 15in 1080p screen it's pretty bad. Low res and bit starved. If I try to connect iphone or ipad to a tv via hdmi and watch a transcoded program, it's almost unwatchable. The bigger the screen the worse the picture.

I also can not get it to stream via cellular to my iphone. It does work for wifi.

Haven't heard of a new model but I would be interested if it fixed the picture quality issues. I use a windows media center computer to record programs also. If I have time I use those recordings and transcode them with Handbrake into something the ipad can use. The picture quality is HD and so much better to watch. The transcodes take MUCH MUCH longer though and are much larger in file size but you can throw them up on a tv via hdmi and they look pretty good. It takes 3 to 4 times as long to transcode though. I just like to watch the higher quality picture when I can but the Geniego is pretty convienient and much faster.

Hope this helps.

#4 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:06 AM

Is it true you can only watch on wi-fi and not 4G or LTE on an I phone?

With a recent update, they added cellular streaming to Android devices (the first time that Android has had something before Apple devices do).  So, I have to believe that, unless there's a technical reason that it can't be done, cellular streaming on Apple devices is in the works.

#5 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,303 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:41 AM

With a recent update, they added cellular streaming to Android devices (the first time that Android has had something before Apple devices do). So, I have to believe that, unless there's a technical reason that it can't be done, cellular streaming on Apple devices is in the works.

or you can jailbreak and use 3G unrestrictor works like a charm!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#6 OFFLINE   Jason Whiddon

Jason Whiddon

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:52 AM

Intersting, I did not know Genie Go allowed streaming to a phone out of home. I really haven't kept up. 

I always liked relaxing on vacation, say at the beach, and watching a little tv on the phone.

So since I have a Droid Maxx HD, I could be out of town and use the app to watch a show on my HDD? 

As far as live, its a no go? It seems I understand it in this way, if I was to work one weekend and a sports game I wanted to see was on at noon, I could set a timer for it to begin recording, once it started I could then watched the delayed recording on a device, just not live?

65" VT50 / BDP-S6200
X4000 / Outlaw Model 7125
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500

#7 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,158 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:30 PM

My Genie Go works better on cellular than it does on wi fi.  In fact, on a recent trip in January, I was unable to get wi fi streaming at all.  Only cellular.  I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 and an Asus Transformer tablet.  No I-phone or Ipad.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,303 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 01:18 PM

As far as live, its a no go? It seems I understand it in this way, if I was to work one weekend and a sports game I wanted to see was on at noon, I could set a timer for it to begin recording, once it started I could then watched the delayed recording on a device, just not live?

correct

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#9 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,395 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:15 PM

For some reason, a new recording takes about 4-5 minutes to show up on the GG playlist.   So it's near live.  But no trickplay, and if you lose connection, it's a start over.

I've often set manual records for 1 hour of a game or race to at least see those increments instead of one large recording.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#10 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,303 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:41 PM

For some reason, a new recording takes about 4-5 minutes to show up on the GG playlist.   So it's near live.  But no trickplay, and if you lose connection, it's a start over.

I've often set manual records for 1 hour of a game or race to at least see those increments instead of one large recording.

Are you sure, last time I used my GG, I was able to "save" the place when I was streaming OOH.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#11 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,395 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 11 March 2014 - 03:18 PM

On a current recording?  Complete recordings 'save' the location but not current.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#12 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,303 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 03:30 PM

hmm, I don't exactly remember, but is a god point

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#13 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,643 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 11 March 2014 - 03:53 PM

With a recent update, they added cellular streaming to Android devices (the first time that Android has had something before Apple devices do).  So, I have to believe that, unless there's a technical reason that it can't be done, cellular streaming on Apple devices is in the works.

Wow, I would like to have that!  When I'm in the city (Reno) I get 15 Mbps speeds on Sprint LTE, but when I'm back in my home town, Charter "broadband" is usually around 1-2 Mbps.  OK, technically, it's 30 Mbps, but that's only at 5AM before I leave for work.  Whenever I'm home, and my neighbors are home, that speed rarely tops 3 Mbps.

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#14 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 05:28 PM

Well I pulled the trigger and should see my Genie-Go later this week. I have a trip scheduled for next week so I will compare both the Slingbox and Genie-Go. I really would like to see the iPhone streaming soon.

#15 OFFLINE   prushing

prushing

Godfather

• Registered
  • 458 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 05:14 AM

Well I pulled the trigger and should see my Genie-Go later this week. I have a trip scheduled for next week so I will compare both the Slingbox and Genie-Go. I really would like to see the iPhone streaming soon.

Since you had a Vulkano, I'll give you a comparison. Vulkano quality is better than you get with the GG. Recordings are about 500MB on GG vs 900MB on Vulkano top quality for a 1 hour show. It looks fine on a phone, SG4, but is noticeable on a laptop.

You get the ability to automatically transfer your shows though, so no having to select a show on the DVR and press play and start the recording on the Vulkano. So I really enjoy that function.

You cannot download anything while OOH. This is a big negative depending on your travel lengths, but streaming helps somewhat.

Streaming quality is a big disappointment. I have GG, Vulkano, and Slingbox. GG is the worst of them. It is acceptable on a phone, but that's it. I can get 3mbps on my phone using Slingbox, GG doesn't come close to that. Screen shot comparisons would make you think you are watching HD vs SD.

Overall I do like the GG and use it all the time now, but I just feel like it is incomplete. It needs to come up to the level of Slingbox and Vulkano recording/streaming quality.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

#16 OFFLINE   critter

critter

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:00 PM

I have Genie Go and a SlingBox and use the SlingBox 99% of the time.  I will use the Genie Go to put shows on my IPad and watch while flying, but will use my sling box to watch sports out of market at a hotel.  I will also use the sling box and a google tv bo to watch my DTV on the porch without buying another receiver. So I find the sling box very useful and helpful

#17 OFFLINE   spedinfargo

spedinfargo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:45 AM

I used Genie Go streaming for one Timberwolves game while on the road and gave up on it and bought a Slingbox 350 instead.  Trick play is important to me when watching NBA games - I never watch them live but rather delayed and I have a pretty good system of knowing how many 30-second skips to get through various types of commercials / end of quarters / halftime / free throws, etc. 

With Genie Go streaming recorded shows trick play was virtually unusable - you couldn't hit the 30-second skip a second time until streaming resumed.  And sometimes resume would take 30 seconds!  Plus quality was no where as good as the Slingbox.

Still happy with Genie Go for off-line shows (although I wish they had a native Windows 8 client) but not so much for streaming.  Still have plenty to complain about on my Slingbox but light years ahead of Genie Go for its purpose.

spam firewall