Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

No sound during SD commercials on HD station

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:07 AM

I've known for a long time I could switch to an SD channel and not get any sound until I performed a new handshake with my AVR (Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH). This basically required switching away from the SAT HDMI port and back.

Now, when an SD commercial pops up on an HD station, there will be no sound. When the HD show returns, so does the sound.

I believe this is new behavior and may be coincident with the latest update. Or maybe I never noticed before. I have no idea whether it is the Hopper, the AVR, or SD commercials no longer come with sound! 

I haven't thoroughly fleshed out this problem by performing some tests like seeing if it happens during a recorded show, if it happens if I rewind into the commercial, if it happens without the AVR, different HDMI ports, etc.

Anyone else noticed anything like this?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:31 AM

Sounds like a great feature to me. :up:

#3 OFFLINE   kenglish

kenglish

Icon

• Registered
  • 972 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah, USA

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:00 AM

"SD Commercial", or "LOCAL commercial"......?

The major networks transmit a Spanish-language/Descriptive-video channel to their affiliates. They run Spanish occasionally, but it's mostly used for the Descriptive-Video Service for the visually impaired viewers. That's the stuff where you can hear the normal audio on one channel (usually the right), and a narrator (on the left) describing the on screen action. You'll hear things, during pauses in the regular audio, like, "And, he turns to leave...stopping..he turns back and faces her." It's used on a few prime-time (mostly drama) shows each week.

The network leaves mono audio up on the Spanish/DVS track as a filler, but it doesn't come through when the affiliate is broadcasting local programming or local commercials, so you'll just get silence. Is your receiver set to the "Spanish" or "Alternate Language" track, under "Preferences" in the menu?

#4 ONLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,440 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 03:11 PM

Sounds (no pun intended) like your sound settings on the receiver are wrong, should be PCM and DD, IIRC.

Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#5 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:58 AM

Hopper sound settings are correct, PCM and DD, no second language.

More investigation is required...

#6 OFFLINE   JeffN9

JeffN9

Legend

• Registered
  • 178 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:52 AM

You really got me wondering what would cause this. According to the Hopper manual if you have the audio output set to DD only you'll get no sound with any SD programming. BUT I can't figure out how you set it to DD only. The only settings like mentioned above are DD/PCM and PCM only, no DD only. My guess is that a lot of the manual was copied from previous receiver models.

The only thing left is your AVR. Have you tried going into the AVR menu to make sure that something wasn't set wrong for that input? Like digital only? Your AVR digital/analog processor might also be having a problem. Have you tried using an optical cable for audio instead of the HDMI?

#7 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:05 AM

I haven't checked my AVR detailed settings. I think I can make this happen when switching to SD channels, even the Sirius music channels.

I guess it's time to really re-setup my AVR. I bet the AVR is at fault. I think the HDMI audio gets lost when switching to SD/stereo mode.

#8 OFFLINE   kenglish

kenglish

Icon

• Registered
  • 972 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah, USA

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:46 PM

There may be some setting for "Digital Output" of the receiver, that asks if you want "PCM" (regular old stereo digital audio), or "Dolby Digital Bitstream".

There may even be a mismatch between the settings in the receiver and in the AVR setup, too.

You probably want "Auto-select" or something similar, so it follows whatever is there in the program.

#9 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:59 AM

Interesting. I changed the sound processing on my Pioneer AVR to auto surround and the SD commercials now have sound. I wish I checked what it was set to before!

#10 OFFLINE   some guy

some guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:04 AM

Something to do with PCM or DD?

#11 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:35 AM

I had the AVR in some Dolby Digital movie mode. As soon as I hit the AUTO Surround mode SD commercials worked again. The sound loss also happened when going to Sirius Channels.

spam firewall