Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DirecTV plans to simplify TV program offers and bills

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Steve615

Steve615

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,424 posts
  • LocationMiddle TN area

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:59 AM

The following link and info from deadline.com recently appeared online. I was not real sure where to place the topic.

So, if it needs to be moved, I am sure a mod will kindly oblige.   :)

http://www.deadline....fers-and-bills/

Steve

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez

Godfather

• Registered
  • 427 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 01:36 PM

So, Michael White laments median wage stagnation, but wants to address it via a DTV-Dish merger???!!!!

I have a better idea.  When  ESPN comes to the table with an offer of 5.75 a month, bid 2.25 a month, increasing at the CPI for the next five years, take it or leave it.

White also expresses curiosity as to how Dish will develop its IP PayTv offerings. 

My take?  Right now, the 18-34 that's interested in sports is already a PayTv subscriber.

You want to attract the 18-34 demo to PayTv?  Dish will have to allow a-la-carte choices, without ESPN, that will cost less than 15 dollars a month for a reasonable package.  Otherwise, I doubt Dish will see the results it is expecting.

Since 1995 the average cable bill has increased 122%, while TV consumption per household just 13%.

http://www.multichan...1_Per_Month.php

http://blog.nielsen....-all-time-high/

#3 OFFLINE   davidatl14

davidatl14

Icon

• Registered
  • 547 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:43 PM

Always good to see and hear the vitriol from the "usual suspects"

Hopefully bills and package offerings can be simplified to get back on topic.

Edited by davidatl14, 11 March 2014 - 02:43 PM.

May The Best of Your Past be the Worst of Your Future!

#4 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,707 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:24 AM

Hopefully bills and package offerings can be simplified to get back on topic.

Perhaps they could have chosen better names for some of the line items. The whole concept of "Advanced Receiver" could probably stand to be revisited. They might think of going back to the old scheme of just calling it a DVR fee or an HD fee as opposed to "Advanced Receiver-DVR" or "Advanced Receiver-HD".

The fact that the unqualified "Advanced Receiver" is more than either of the other two is also a bit of a boggle; especially since new subscribers with only an HD DVR must pay it without being able to avail themselves of the Whole Home DVR Service component. Why are these Advanced Receiver line items "charges" and not "fees"? Is it that you can't get prorated refunds on fees? I believe the key to simplifying bills is to present the itemized charges in terms that make sense. Don't create a situation where the customer has to research what something is (or you feel compelled to include a glossary).

Charging for the primary TV and crediting it back may not be something they can fix.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#5 OFFLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 675 posts
  • LocationStanislaus County Farmland

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:20 AM

A timely topic since I just off the phone with DirecTV to question why my bill went up after speaking to a CSR late last month an being told she was applying credits to reduce my bill by $23. Today's conversation was worse with the only solution offered was to reduce the package I sub to, which I find a unacceptable. If DirecTV offered ala carte pricing, most channels would disappear as the subscriber base would be speaking with its choices of what it wants to watch.  I'm probably like most subs, and only watch 10-15 channels ever, but there isn't one package, other than the Premier, that contains all of the few channels we do watch.  I also find the additional $29 in total receiver fees to be outrageous, and I only have two.

• nola56 likes this

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,703 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:39 PM

A timely topic since I just off the phone with DirecTV to question why my bill went up after speaking to a CSR late last month an being told she was applying credits to reduce my bill by $23. Today's conversation was worse with the only solution offered was to reduce the package I sub to, which I find a unacceptable. If DirecTV offered ala carte pricing, most channels would disappear as the subscriber base would be speaking with its choices of what it wants to watch.  I'm probably like most subs, and only watch 10-15 channels ever, but there isn't one package, other than the Premier, that contains all of the few channels we do watch.  I also find the additional $29 in total receiver fees to be outrageous, and I only have two.

Why would that be unacceptable? if you can afford a higher package it makes sense to downgrade the package.  Why folks like to chew more that they can eat is beyond me....

Asking for a credit is one thing, expecting or demanding one is well.... crazy ....

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#7 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:58 PM

What needs to happen is the regulators need to step in and ban forcing providers to carry a popular channel in a basic tier in order to secure rights to carry other less popular channels.

All sports (ESPN, FOX1, etc) should be in a sports pack.  If you want sports, you pay for the sports pack.

Movies should be in a movie pack

Reality channels should be in a reality pack.

Locals should be in a locals pack. Etc.

I could get by real easy each month with just a Sports pack, and a News/Weather pack.  I never watch anything else on DirecTv.

Even if the sports pack was $50 a month, and the News pack was $10 a month, I would be saving $70 a month.

• kandor likes this

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#8 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,749 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 05:08 PM

I could get by real easy each month with just a Sports pack, and a News/Weather pack.  I never watch anything else on DirecTv.

Even if the sports pack was $50 a month, and the News pack was $10 a month, I would be saving $70 a month.

That assumes that the channels would be able to survive collecting money only from those who would choose to buy them a la carte.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#9 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 05:10 PM

That's the idea . . .

:eek2:

• jtrain73 likes this

#10 OFFLINE   Rob37

Rob37

Legend

• Registered
  • 157 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:47 PM

I have an idea. I keep on seeing all these people who post saying I don’t watch sports, I don’t need ESPN and all the other Sports Networks & what not. Well I for one have DirecTv for the Sole purpose of Sports. I order NFL Sunday Ticket & MLB Extra Innings Every Year. How about giving me a choice of just getting the Sports Networks for about $20 a month and not forcing me to buy all of the other 500 channels that I NEVER will watch. I don’t need all the Discovery Channels and History Channels & Cartoon Channels. Give me a Sports Ala’ Carte Choice Why Don’t You?

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

#11 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:26 PM

I have an idea. I keep on seeing all these people who post saying I don’t watch sports, I don’t need ESPN and all the other Sports Networks & what not. Well I for one have DirecTv for the Sole purpose of Sports. I order NFL Sunday Ticket & MLB Extra Innings Every Year. How about giving me a choice of just getting the Sports Networks for about $20 a month and not forcing me to buy all of the other 500 channels that I NEVER will watch. I don’t need all the Discovery Channels and History Channels & Cartoon Channels. Give me a Sports Ala’ Carte Choice Why Don’t You?

What about channels like TBS that some times shows sports?

I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#12 OFFLINE   Rob37

Rob37

Legend

• Registered
  • 157 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 03:47 PM

What about channels like TBS that some times shows sports?

TBS only shows 1 weekend of NCAA Tournament games a year & baseball games during the Season on Sunday most of which are on MLB Extra Innings anyways. I really don’t need TBS.

#13 OFFLINE   milton

milton

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 192 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:00 PM

Actually the Turner properties have quite a bit of sports.  I would say the NCAA Tournament (including the national college basketball semi-finals), a MLB league championship series and considerable NBA playoff coverage is a big deal.

Also, WGN carries quite a few Cubs/Sox games, although that may not last for long.

#14 OFFLINE   milton

milton

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 192 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:10 PM

On the issue of simplifying packages, I would like to see Directv offer a comprehensive sports package that includes SportsPack plus every sports package (NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB, NCAA football, NCAA basketball, Deportes, Fox Soccer Plus, and MLS) for around $70 per month.  Kind of like how you can have all the movies for about $50.

#15 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,749 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:09 PM

A la carte would be the opposite of simplifying one's bill. It would be making the bill more complicated.

In the simplest form a bill would state the package(s) one has chosen to subscribe to and the price, totaled up. Then any additional fees are added and any credits are listed and the bottom line is presented for payment. Perhaps a section would show previous balance, payments since last bill and current balance due. Add a date due and one has a bill. Taking all of those facts and figures and getting them into a concise readable form is part of simplifying the bill.

Bills also include disclosures ... perhaps some are required (statements about what happens if you don't pay before the date due) ... perhaps some disclosures are not needed (statements that belong in the terms of service - not in the monthly bill). There will be some disclosures required by law - but if California requires a certain paragraph and New York requires a different paragraph should those paragraphs be on a bill sent to Illinois? Simplify.

Getting the bill down to a single page ... two pages with required disclosures ... makes it easier for the customer to understand what they are paying for. Not forgetting that the customer is paying to watch TV, not for monthly delivery of a statement that resembles a small book. Keep it super simple!

That is simplifying the bill. Not adding a la carte (which would be an increase in line items). But making the bill easy to understand.
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#16 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,120 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:53 PM

IMHO a simplified bill would be all channels grouped in packages and none where its in this pack and this package, but not this one that costs inbetween, and so forth...

#17 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 18 March 2014 - 10:02 PM

Nothing is ever going to change with programming until there is a major revolt by the customers. 

The MVPDs (meaning the combined industry of cable, satellite, and telco TV) legally cannot gang up to drive prices down. The content companies can't do the same in the opposite direction, but they have the power. If all the major distributors told ESPN to take a hike, something would happen. The problem is that their contracts never expire at the same time and the pain inflicted would be immense. And, there's always one company that will say "I'll give you your ESPN" at any price.

I don't know what Dish or DirecTV expect to accomplish with "internet TV". The method of delivery isn't where the costs are at. Buying TV over the internet will be just as expensive if not more since you have to factor in data usage. Some of the talk coming about the Dish internet TV service is that it will be tied to a person, not a household so expect to get nickled and dimed even more than you are today for the ability to watch more than one thing at once. Finally, the content will cost the same because Disney isn't going to willingly blow up their business model. It'll be an improved experience, maybe even dramatically improved. But it will cost the same and there will be very, very annoying restrictions such as the inability to FF through commercials. Basically, expect a Hulu-ization of the TV experience, both via the providers' set tops and their "apps" you'll get on your phone or tablet.

• PCampbell likes this

#18 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,749 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:18 AM

I don't know what Dish or DirecTV expect to accomplish with "internet TV".

They expect to stay in the game and make money. From their perspective it is better that DISH and DirecTV make money off of the cord swappers (not really cord cutters) that move to new distribution methods than to let that market go to someone else. From the programmer's perspective it is better to have the MVPDs handle the sales to individuals than need to set up their own shop.

#19 OFFLINE   prushing

prushing

Godfather

• Registered
  • 462 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:31 AM

The problem with a la carte pricing is that the channels will just split up their shows across all of there channels. Look at what FOX did to get providers to carry FXX. No one wanted another channel, but FOX moved FX hit shows there and now providers had to carry it or face potential loses.

In the past there has been talk of grouping channels, but what happens is they group them where you end up having 1-2 channels in each group that most people want. So you end up having to buy all the groups if you want those 10-15 channels.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Edited by prushing, 19 March 2014 - 02:35 AM.

#20 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,546 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 March 2014 - 03:37 PM

The problem with a la carte pricing is that the channels will just split up their shows across all of there channels. Look at what FOX did to get providers to carry FXX. No one wanted another channel, but FOX moved FX hit shows there and now providers had to carry it or face potential loses.

In the past there has been talk of grouping channels, but what happens is they group them where you end up having 1-2 channels in each group that most people want. So you end up having to buy all the groups if you want those 10-15 channels.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Good point, bad example. FXX was the rebranding of an existing channel that had no real viewership. It is an example of the free market working.

A better example would be MTV2 or H2. Or the move of NCAA tournament games to TruTV to force wider coverage and HD coverage.

Edited by tonyd79, 20 March 2014 - 03:37 PM.

LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

Protected By... spam firewall...And...