Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DirecTV plans to simplify TV program offers and bills

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,229 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:24 AM

My point is, distribution via the internet is not some magic bullet that is going to bring costs down.

That isn't the goal of TV providers. Lowering prices may be the goal of their subscribers, but the goal of the people we pay is to remain competitive in a changing market and make money for themselves.

What is the prime driver of MVPD package price increases? Satellites don't cost any more today than they cost 20 years ago (as a matter of fact they probably cost less, adjusted for inflation).

How many satellites were up 20 years ago? How many have been replaced at a lifespan of 15 years? If we were still working with ONLY the capacity of satellites in the sky in 1994 there would be a lot less channels on our systems. The number of subscribers have gone up - which helps share the cost - but the number of satellites, uplinks, channels, local market backhauls, etc. have all increased as well.

Content owners get to decide how they sell their content. It is unfortunate for the end user who wants different packaging and lower rates but at the end of the day it is their content to sell.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 17,380 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:27 AM

In fact James I'd say their goal
Is to establish a foothold in the new methods and get the profit model equally to the current models so they never have to worry.

#28 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,163 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:59 AM

That isn't the goal of TV providers. Lowering prices may be the goal of their subscribers, but the goal of the people we pay is to remain competitive in a changing market and make money for themselves.

And this is my point. Most of the chatter and excitement among people about internet video is borne out of the disruption that Netflix has had on the market. They put Movie Gallery and Blockbuster out of business with a $10 a month service, and people think that same pricing strategy is going to happen to MVPDs. People aren't clamoring for disruption in the video market because of interfaces (though that is important). If interface were important, TiVo would be having much more success in the marketplace. People want cheap first, and then having it on their tablets and phones are further down the list.

There will be disruption, but it won't be anything anyone will really like. It will be on the terms of the content owners and the MVPDs. It will be proprietary streams and apps, and you won't be able to record anything, and you can forget fast forwarding through commercials.

20 years from now we'll be wishing for the days when we had TiVos and the old distribution model.

#29 OFFLINE   Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z

Godfather

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:15 PM

I'd watch commercials (forgo being able to skip) for a defined percentage reduction in my bill - say 30%.  I've started watching programs on Crackle and find that I don't mind the commercials so much knowing that the content is free.  I've also started more actively borrowing DVDs from my local library.  Yes, that does come with the inconvenience factor of picking them up and returning them, but other than the time/gas the DVDs are free.  Currently on season 2 of Babylon 5.

Kevin

My top 5 wishlist: 1) Free MRV HR to HR 2) Fix Channels I Receive so that it is accurate 3) > 50 SeriesLink 4) Usage of both internal and external drives concurrently 5) Support for other video providers as DoD (i.e. Hulu, CBS)   

DirecTV HR21-200, 2008 (DirecTV anniversary gift)
DirecTV HR20-100 (2TB eSATA), 2007
DirecTV since 1995

<><

#30 OFFLINE   Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z

Godfather

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:20 PM

I can't wait to see what Netflix charges in five years. It won't be what they charge today. Not even close I don't think.

It will be interesting.  If they implement one model that's been discussed (1 stream @$6.99, 3@$9.99, and the current 4@$11.99) and grandfather current account holders for up to 24 months - that will be just in time for us to reduce to the 1 stream option.  If they implement one of the quality tiering models (SD, HD, UHD) then who knows how that will work out.  I do think that whatever NetFlix rolls out it will be remain in place for a number of years - as they've done so far.  They won't follow the D* or Post Office model of increasing by a small percentage each year.

Kevin

My top 5 wishlist: 1) Free MRV HR to HR 2) Fix Channels I Receive so that it is accurate 3) > 50 SeriesLink 4) Usage of both internal and external drives concurrently 5) Support for other video providers as DoD (i.e. Hulu, CBS)   

DirecTV HR21-200, 2008 (DirecTV anniversary gift)
DirecTV HR20-100 (2TB eSATA), 2007
DirecTV since 1995

<><

#31 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 17,380 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:42 AM

It will be interesting. If they implement one model that's been discussed (1 stream @$6.99, 3@$9.99, and the current 4@$11.99) and grandfather current account holders for up to 24 months - that will be just in time for us to reduce to the 1 stream option. If they implement one of the quality tiering models (SD, HD, UHD) then who knows how that will work out. I do think that whatever NetFlix rolls out it will be remain in place for a number of years - as they've done so far. They won't follow the D* or Post Office model of increasing by a small percentage each year.

At some point their mega billion dollar deals will have to be paid and that will require consistently hiking rates. It's coming sooner rather than latter I think. But yes it will be interesting. I would not be surprised if they don't go to a hourly rate. Forty hours for 10, 80 hours for 15 etc... As an example....

#32 ONLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,990 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland, Pa

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:06 AM

What mega Billion dollar deals? They have nothing exclusive.
And with 44 million subscribers and growing faster, paying a minimum of 7.99 I'm sure Netflix will be just fine.

I think they can Manage with 3.5 Billion per month. :hurah:

Even at $20 you won't find anything Directv has for that .EVER.

These streaming providers have way more wiggle room then Comcast ,direct,or dish.

Sent from my PantechP8010 using DBSTalk mobile app

Edited by damondlt, 25 March 2014 - 07:13 AM.

Blue Ridge Communticatons

Digital HD Basic Plus, Cinemax,Showtime/TMC,Starz /Encore
Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 Inch

Tivo Mini Livingroom Vizio M602i-B3 60 Inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2  LG 26LE5300 26 Inch
Tivo Mini Bedroom 3  Element ELEFW328 32 Inch
Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4  Magnavox 32 inch

Arris Touchstone DG1660

Dream 60 Mbps down 3 Mbps up.

#33 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:55 AM

A timely topic since I just off the phone with DirecTV to question why my bill went up after speaking to a CSR late last month an being told she was applying credits to reduce my bill by $23. Today's conversation was worse with the only solution offered was to reduce the package I sub to, which I find a unacceptable. If DirecTV offered ala carte pricing, most channels would disappear as the subscriber base would be speaking with its choices of what it wants to watch.  I'm probably like most subs, and only watch 10-15 channels ever, but there isn't one package, other than the Premier, that contains all of the few channels we do watch.  I also find the additional $29 in total receiver fees to be outrageous, and I only have two.

Bear in mind that you don't pay reciever fees at all. You pay for services. The DVR and HD fee are for those services, not the equipment. You get one 10$ charge a month whether you have 1 DVR or 20 DVR's. Same on the HD. I'm not sure why people find fees for these services out of place, yet they continually want more channels provided/available in HD format and continually want functionality improvements with DVR's. These things do not come without cost. The 6$ for additional TV you pay is for the /programming/ that goes to that reciever. It's also the reason why your primary is free, because pay the full package price for programming on the primary. It's just like if you have a celphone on a family plan. You pay full price on the primary phone and then 5/10$ for each addtional phone to share the minutes. Same thing here, but your sharing programming.

#34 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,447 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:59 AM

Bear in mind that you don't pay reciever fees at all. You pay for services. The DVR and HD fee are for those services, not the equipment. You get one 10$ charge a month whether you have 1 DVR or 20 DVR's. Same on the HD. I'm not sure why people find fees for these services out of place, yet they continually want more channels provided/available in HD format and continually want functionality improvements with DVR's. These things do not come without cost. The 6$ for additional TV you pay is for the /programming/ that goes to that reciever. It's also the reason why your primary is free, because pay the full package price for programming on the primary. It's just like if you have a celphone on a family plan. You pay full price on the primary phone and then 5/10$ for each addtional phone to share the minutes. Same thing here, but your sharing programming.

I don't understand why this is so hard to grasp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#35 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:02 AM

How many satellites were up 20 years ago? How many have been replaced at a lifespan of 15 years? If we were still working with ONLY the capacity of satellites in the sky in 1994 there would be a lot less channels on our systems. The number of subscribers have gone up - which helps share the cost - but the number of satellites, uplinks, channels, local market backhauls, etc. have all increased as well.

Content owners get to decide how they sell their content. It is unfortunate for the end user who wants different packaging and lower rates but at the end of the day it is their content to sell.

The biggest driver behind price changes is programming costs continually increasing.  This is why sports is becoming so contentous, because it's the last bastion for live eyeballs on commercials for ad revenue, as most people don't DVR sporting events, instead wanting to watch them live. Not to mention, the Networks have all the power because their content is not competative with each other. They know a person can go to another provider to see their channel, but can't go to another channel to see the show they love (in most cases). Put those two together, and you have Networks with all the power, when they don't provide the consumer base, because they don't have to deal with the flak from pricing increases.

#36 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,631 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:03 PM

Updates on the new bill format, noticed this info banner with a URL when I logged into My DIRECTV online account tonight.

New Bill.PNG

Example screenshots:

New Bill format1.png

New Bill format2.png

More info available here:

• jimmie57 likes this

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV  DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 7am-12:30am ET)  DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25.99 ($30.99 with HBO) | 3=$36.99 ($41.99 with HBO) | 4=$45.99 ($50.99 with HBO) | All 5=$57.99 per month

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#37 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 17,380 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:39 PM

Actually that does look a lot simpler to me. I might have itemized the actual equipment in the persons house to but then you can see that fine online.

#38 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,482 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:26 AM

I notice that it says 2 TVs and not receivers. Also, there is no credit for the First TV ?

I do like any applicable credits being on the line that the credit is for and not listed somewhere far away.

I don't have a Genie so I will be curious as to what the line looks like for my bill. Is an HDDVR now going to be called an Advanced Receiver ?

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM, HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#39 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:59 AM

On the issue of simplifying packages, I would like to see Directv offer a comprehensive sports package that includes SportsPack plus every sports package (NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB, NCAA football, NCAA basketball, Deportes, Fox Soccer Plus, and MLS) for around $70 per month.  Kind of like how you can have all the movies for about $50.

You're an optimist but I would buy it.

#40 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 20,495 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:27 AM

I notice that it says 2 TVs and not receivers. Also, there is no credit for the First TV?

This appears to be how it is going now for new customers. I just went through the sign-up exercise and the monthly cost had no credit for the first TV. They went from calling each box a "receiver" to "TV" because of the RVU TV possibility. I suppose if they change the name of the fee, it is harder to compare.

Is an HDDVR now going to be called an Advanced Receiver ?

It has been that way since February 9, 2012 when the fee went into effect.

New customers are getting hit pretty hard with fees. Charging for WHDS with a single DVR is bordering on mean.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#41 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,447 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:36 AM

New customers are getting hit pretty hard with fees. Charging for WHDS with a single DVR is bordering on mean.

And let me guess, dish does quite the opposite, correct? 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#42 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,482 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:59 PM

I just talked to a CSR in billing and he said that the new look bills will be in the next bill ( for me is Aug 4 ).

He said there is no price changes for existing customers.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM, HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#43 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,229 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:21 PM

And let me guess, dish does quite the opposite, correct?

Nope. If one gets a Hopper one gets to pay the fees associated with a Hopper - even without any Joeys. One pays for the capability, even if it goes unused. Both companies are "mean". :)
  • Laxguy likes this
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#44 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,447 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:01 PM

Nope. If one gets a Hopper one gets to pay the fees associated with a Hopper - even without any Joeys. One pays for the capability, even if it goes unused. Both companies are "mean". :)

Exactly my point!  There was some sarcasm on my post...

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#45 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 20,495 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:42 AM

If a new DIRECTV customer orders an HR24 (perhaps for stability reasons), they are charged $21 in hardware fees before promotional credits. If the same customer opts for a ViP722 with DISH, they pay a $17 in fees (excluding promotional credits).

There are degrees of meanness.

edit: fixed fee price as it changed that day

Edited by harsh, 26 July 2014 - 10:01 AM.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#46 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 3,912 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 25 July 2014 - 12:42 PM

If a new DIRECTV customer orders an HR24 (perhaps for stability reasons), they are charged $31 in hardware fees before promotional credits. If the same customer opts for a ViP722 with DISH, they pay a $17 in fees (excluding promotional credits).

There are degrees of meanness.

And if the Directv customer and Dish customer later decide to add a Genie and a Hopper, respectively, what does that do for their fees? Only $6 more for Directv, how much more for Dish?

When comparing providers you can always come up with cases that cause one to look better than the other. It is a pointless pissing match. Especially when your comparing "hardware fees before promotional credits". Without comparing the full price including the packages the subscriber would need to get the channels they consider are must-haves, it is stupid. What if you want a channel that Directv provides in a lower priced tier than Dish does - that would make up or nearly make up the hardware difference. On the other hand, if it is Dish that provides that channel in a lower tier, you might not even get to hardware cost before deciding against Directv.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#47 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,742 posts
  • LocationLancaster, PA area

Posted 25 July 2014 - 03:14 PM

Being able to pay only for the channels that you want is a great idea, but it's never going to happen.  There are way too many networks out there that want their 'piece of the pie', even when less than 5% of people watch any one network.  The fact that Disney wants and gets $5+ per sub for ESPN is beyond me, but the problem is that the providers already pay for that (they've already set the dangerous precedent), and network fees certainly aren't going down.  Re-organizing networks into fewer tiers is one thing, but probably won't cause our bills to go down.

HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200 (2), 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV), Cinema Kit (Wifi connection)
Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#48 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 3,912 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 25 July 2014 - 07:05 PM

I've always thought there would be a market for a provider that offered premium tiers but no sports at all. Half the country doesn't watch sports, and the more prices for sports content goes up relative to the price for everything else the greater the demand will be for something like this.

The only logical choice (unless Dish had decided go this way a few years ago to better differentiate themselves from Directv) would be someone starting up a new national IPTV provider. Maybe Barry Diller will start something like that up, since Aereo is dead. I suppose technically that would count as part of the "cord cutter" movement, but they'd have access to everything those of us who subscribe to cable or satellite have, except the sports - they'd maybe even have the major sporting events on broadcast networks blacked out to save on retransmission fees.

That's what people really want if they want to save money. If you want a list of channels that's longer than about 20, you'd end up paying more ala carte than you do taking a package that includes those 20 along with 200 others you don't want.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#49 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,716 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:04 PM

Can you provide a source or two for the assertion that half our country doesn't watch sports, please?

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#50 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 17,380 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:19 PM

This appears to be how it is going now for new customers. I just went through the sign-up exercise and the monthly cost had no credit for the first TV. They went from calling each box a "receiver" to "TV" because of the RVU TV possibility. I suppose if they change the name of the fee, it is harder to compare.
It has been that way since February 9, 2012 when the fee went into effect.

Directv does NOT charge for MRV for new customers.  They charge $15 if you have a dvr, or many dvrs.  end of story.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...