Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DirecTV plans to simplify TV program offers and bills

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:06 AM

I definitely don't want a merger with Dish, just look at AT&T and T-Mobile battling each other for lower prices, And to think they were going to attempt to merge but weren't approved and stopped it, Going at each others throat for competitive prices are good for the customers, but for how long...?

But of course we can't compare them to satellite companies because content providers are involved, But equipment wise and features is what they can go by for competition, Just look at the trend: Hopper vs Genie,Directv Everywhere vs Dish Anywhere, GenieGo vs Sling Virtual Joey vs RVU although no comparison by no means.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Cyber36

Cyber36

Legend

• Registered
  • 274 posts
  • LocationByron NY

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:12 AM

Reminds me of the old Three Stooges episode where Curly states " its a simple job for simple people". They were plumbers I think.

#23 OFFLINE   milton

milton

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 190 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 06:33 AM

Competition downstream is good for consumers, all else being equal.  There is an issue, however, when there are upstream monopolies for content that push prices higher regardless of the competitiveness downstream.  That's the bigger issue.

• FriscoJohnny likes this

#24 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:06 PM

They expect to stay in the game and make money. From their perspective it is better that DISH and DirecTV make money off of the cord swappers (not really cord cutters) that move to new distribution methods than to let that market go to someone else. From the programmer's perspective it is better to have the MVPDs handle the sales to individuals than need to set up their own shop.

I know that they expect to "make money", that's why they exist in the first place. My point is, distribution via the internet is not some magic bullet that is going to bring costs down. What is the prime driver of MVPD package price increases? Satellites don't cost any more today than they cost 20 years ago (as a matter of fact they probably cost less, adjusted for inflation). Capex in the cable industry isn't growing at extravagant rates that would drive the prices up. What is driving up costs are content costs. Why does anyone think that content will be cheaper if you buy it from an internet-based service than if you buy it from Comcast or DirecTV via their legacy distribution methods? 

What people want is a service like Netflix, that costs what Netflix costs, but that they can get every show they want to watch. The problem with that is why would content companies like Disney or Fox ever agree to eviscerate their revenue streams? Any new entrant will have to protect ad revenue, which means you can kiss commercial skipping goodbye. They'll also be charging the same rates, not just because they want to keep making money, but because they've also guaranteed to DirecTV and Comcast that those two companies (and likely Dish and other very large MVPDs) always get the best rates offered to any other competitor. Finally, why would Comcast ever allow you to bring your own unlimited video service over their lines without charging you through the nose for bandwidth? Why would this ever work over wireless which has extremely draconian data caps? 

It all boils down to the dumb pipe companies don't want to be dumb pipe companies. At some point we, as a country, need to figure out if a connection capable of carrying our 1s and 0s to and from our homes should be a utility like electricity. Get the cable and telephone companies out of the business of doing anything other than connecting us. It's really asinine that your geography determines who sells you video service, but breaking that will be very messy (and may never happen)

#25 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,113 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:21 PM

I can't wait to see hat Netflix charges in five years. It won't be what they charge today. Not even close I don't think.

#26 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,729 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:24 AM

My point is, distribution via the internet is not some magic bullet that is going to bring costs down.

That isn't the goal of TV providers. Lowering prices may be the goal of their subscribers, but the goal of the people we pay is to remain competitive in a changing market and make money for themselves.

What is the prime driver of MVPD package price increases? Satellites don't cost any more today than they cost 20 years ago (as a matter of fact they probably cost less, adjusted for inflation).

How many satellites were up 20 years ago? How many have been replaced at a lifespan of 15 years? If we were still working with ONLY the capacity of satellites in the sky in 1994 there would be a lot less channels on our systems. The number of subscribers have gone up - which helps share the cost - but the number of satellites, uplinks, channels, local market backhauls, etc. have all increased as well.

Content owners get to decide how they sell their content. It is unfortunate for the end user who wants different packaging and lower rates but at the end of the day it is their content to sell.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#27 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,113 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:27 AM

In fact James I'd say their goal
Is to establish a foothold in the new methods and get the profit model equally to the current models so they never have to worry.

#28 OFFLINE   JosephB

JosephB

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, AL

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:59 AM

That isn't the goal of TV providers. Lowering prices may be the goal of their subscribers, but the goal of the people we pay is to remain competitive in a changing market and make money for themselves.

And this is my point. Most of the chatter and excitement among people about internet video is borne out of the disruption that Netflix has had on the market. They put Movie Gallery and Blockbuster out of business with a $10 a month service, and people think that same pricing strategy is going to happen to MVPDs. People aren't clamoring for disruption in the video market because of interfaces (though that is important). If interface were important, TiVo would be having much more success in the marketplace. People want cheap first, and then having it on their tablets and phones are further down the list.

There will be disruption, but it won't be anything anyone will really like. It will be on the terms of the content owners and the MVPDs. It will be proprietary streams and apps, and you won't be able to record anything, and you can forget fast forwarding through commercials.

20 years from now we'll be wishing for the days when we had TiVos and the old distribution model.

#29 OFFLINE   Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:15 PM

I'd watch commercials (forgo being able to skip) for a defined percentage reduction in my bill - say 30%.  I've started watching programs on Crackle and find that I don't mind the commercials so much knowing that the content is free.  I've also started more actively borrowing DVDs from my local library.  Yes, that does come with the inconvenience factor of picking them up and returning them, but other than the time/gas the DVDs are free.  Currently on season 2 of Babylon 5.

Kevin

My top 5 wishlist: 1) Free MRV HR to HR 2) Fix Channels I Receive so that it is accurate 3) > 50 SeriesLink 4) Usage of both internal and external drives concurrently 5) Support for other video providers as DoD (i.e. Hulu, CBS)   

DirecTV HR21-200, 2008 (DirecTV anniversary gift)
DirecTV HR20-100 (2TB eSATA), 2007
DirecTV since 1995

<><

#30 OFFLINE   Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:20 PM

I can't wait to see what Netflix charges in five years. It won't be what they charge today. Not even close I don't think.

It will be interesting.  If they implement one model that's been discussed (1 stream @$6.99, 3@$9.99, and the current 4@$11.99) and grandfather current account holders for up to 24 months - that will be just in time for us to reduce to the 1 stream option.  If they implement one of the quality tiering models (SD, HD, UHD) then who knows how that will work out.  I do think that whatever NetFlix rolls out it will be remain in place for a number of years - as they've done so far.  They won't follow the D* or Post Office model of increasing by a small percentage each year.

Kevin

My top 5 wishlist: 1) Free MRV HR to HR 2) Fix Channels I Receive so that it is accurate 3) > 50 SeriesLink 4) Usage of both internal and external drives concurrently 5) Support for other video providers as DoD (i.e. Hulu, CBS)   

DirecTV HR21-200, 2008 (DirecTV anniversary gift)
DirecTV HR20-100 (2TB eSATA), 2007
DirecTV since 1995

<><

#31 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,113 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:42 AM

It will be interesting. If they implement one model that's been discussed (1 stream @$6.99, 3@$9.99, and the current 4@$11.99) and grandfather current account holders for up to 24 months - that will be just in time for us to reduce to the 1 stream option. If they implement one of the quality tiering models (SD, HD, UHD) then who knows how that will work out. I do think that whatever NetFlix rolls out it will be remain in place for a number of years - as they've done so far. They won't follow the D* or Post Office model of increasing by a small percentage each year.

At some point their mega billion dollar deals will have to be paid and that will require consistently hiking rates. It's coming sooner rather than latter I think. But yes it will be interesting. I would not be surprised if they don't go to a hourly rate. Forty hours for 10, 80 hours for 15 etc... As an example....

#32 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,177 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:06 AM

What mega Billion dollar deals? They have nothing exclusive.
And with 44 million subscribers and growing faster, paying a minimum of 7.99 I'm sure Netflix will be just fine.

I think they can Manage with 3.5 Billion per month. :hurah:

Even at $20 you won't find anything Directv has for that .EVER.

These streaming providers have way more wiggle room then Comcast ,direct,or dish.

Sent from my PantechP8010 using DBSTalk mobile app

Edited by damondlt, 25 March 2014 - 07:13 AM.

#33 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:55 AM

A timely topic since I just off the phone with DirecTV to question why my bill went up after speaking to a CSR late last month an being told she was applying credits to reduce my bill by $23. Today's conversation was worse with the only solution offered was to reduce the package I sub to, which I find a unacceptable. If DirecTV offered ala carte pricing, most channels would disappear as the subscriber base would be speaking with its choices of what it wants to watch.  I'm probably like most subs, and only watch 10-15 channels ever, but there isn't one package, other than the Premier, that contains all of the few channels we do watch.  I also find the additional $29 in total receiver fees to be outrageous, and I only have two.

Bear in mind that you don't pay reciever fees at all. You pay for services. The DVR and HD fee are for those services, not the equipment. You get one 10$ charge a month whether you have 1 DVR or 20 DVR's. Same on the HD. I'm not sure why people find fees for these services out of place, yet they continually want more channels provided/available in HD format and continually want functionality improvements with DVR's. These things do not come without cost. The 6$ for additional TV you pay is for the /programming/ that goes to that reciever. It's also the reason why your primary is free, because pay the full package price for programming on the primary. It's just like if you have a celphone on a family plan. You pay full price on the primary phone and then 5/10$ for each addtional phone to share the minutes. Same thing here, but your sharing programming.

#34 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,662 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:59 AM

Bear in mind that you don't pay reciever fees at all. You pay for services. The DVR and HD fee are for those services, not the equipment. You get one 10$ charge a month whether you have 1 DVR or 20 DVR's. Same on the HD. I'm not sure why people find fees for these services out of place, yet they continually want more channels provided/available in HD format and continually want functionality improvements with DVR's. These things do not come without cost. The 6$ for additional TV you pay is for the /programming/ that goes to that reciever. It's also the reason why your primary is free, because pay the full package price for programming on the primary. It's just like if you have a celphone on a family plan. You pay full price on the primary phone and then 5/10$ for each addtional phone to share the minutes. Same thing here, but your sharing programming.

I don't understand why this is so hard to grasp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#35 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:02 AM

How many satellites were up 20 years ago? How many have been replaced at a lifespan of 15 years? If we were still working with ONLY the capacity of satellites in the sky in 1994 there would be a lot less channels on our systems. The number of subscribers have gone up - which helps share the cost - but the number of satellites, uplinks, channels, local market backhauls, etc. have all increased as well.

Content owners get to decide how they sell their content. It is unfortunate for the end user who wants different packaging and lower rates but at the end of the day it is their content to sell.

The biggest driver behind price changes is programming costs continually increasing.  This is why sports is becoming so contentous, because it's the last bastion for live eyeballs on commercials for ad revenue, as most people don't DVR sporting events, instead wanting to watch them live. Not to mention, the Networks have all the power because their content is not competative with each other. They know a person can go to another provider to see their channel, but can't go to another channel to see the show they love (in most cases). Put those two together, and you have Networks with all the power, when they don't provide the consumer base, because they don't have to deal with the flak from pricing increases.

#36 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,229 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:03 PM

Updates on the new bill format, noticed this info banner with a URL when I logged into My DIRECTV online account tonight.

New Bill.PNG

Example screenshots:

New Bill format1.png

New Bill format2.png

More info available here:

• jimmie57 likes this

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV   DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 8am-1am ET)   DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25 ($30 with HBO) | 3=$35 ($40 with HBO) | 4=$43 ($48 with HBO) | All 5=$55 per month 

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#37 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,113 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:39 PM

Actually that does look a lot simpler to me. I might have itemized the actual equipment in the persons house to but then you can see that fine online.

#38 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,474 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:26 AM

I notice that it says 2 TVs and not receivers. Also, there is no credit for the First TV ?

I do like any applicable credits being on the line that the credit is for and not listed somewhere far away.

I don't have a Genie so I will be curious as to what the line looks like for my bill. Is an HDDVR now going to be called an Advanced Receiver ?

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#39 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,648 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:59 AM

On the issue of simplifying packages, I would like to see Directv offer a comprehensive sports package that includes SportsPack plus every sports package (NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB, NCAA football, NCAA basketball, Deportes, Fox Soccer Plus, and MLS) for around $70 per month.  Kind of like how you can have all the movies for about $50.

You're an optimist but I would buy it.

#40 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,681 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:27 AM

I notice that it says 2 TVs and not receivers. Also, there is no credit for the First TV?

This appears to be how it is going now for new customers. I just went through the sign-up exercise and the monthly cost had no credit for the first TV. They went from calling each box a "receiver" to "TV" because of the RVU TV possibility. I suppose if they change the name of the fee, it is harder to compare.

Is an HDDVR now going to be called an Advanced Receiver ?

It has been that way since February 9, 2012 when the fee went into effect.

New customers are getting hit pretty hard with fees. Charging for WHDS with a single DVR is bordering on mean.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

Protected By... spam firewall...And...