Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DirecTV plans to simplify TV program offers and bills

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   Joe Tylman

Joe Tylman

Legend

• Banned User
  • 368 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 12:55 AM

If a new DIRECTV customer orders an HR24 (perhaps for stability reasons), they are charged $31 in hardware fees before promotional credits. If the same customer opts for a ViP722 with DISH, they pay a $17 in fees (excluding promotional credits).

There are degrees of meanness.

I'm assuming you just did a typo as it's only $21 if a new customer gets a HD DVR. With that said Genie's are going to be the go to DVR for any new customer if they want to record. HD DVR's would only really come into the equation if a customer wanted more recording than the Genie. So even in your scenario it's a $48 dollar annual difference and that's on a very small % of installs.

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,780 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:27 AM

And what stability reason to want a HR24? He didn't make a typo, he doesn't have a clue and thinks directv still charges a Hi Definition fee which they don't anymore as you know.

#53 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,643 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland, Pa

Posted 26 July 2014 - 04:32 AM

And what stability reason to want a HR24? He didn't make a typo, he doesn't have a clue and thinks directv still charges a Hi Definition fee which they don't anymore as you know.

Directv does too still charge an HD fee.

My mother's 1 H25 account most certainly has a $10 HD access fee.

Blue Ridge Communticatons

Digital HD Basic Plus, HBO,Showtime/TMC,Starz /Encore
Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Vizio M602i-B3 60 Inch
Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 Inch
Tivo Mini Bedroom 2  LG 26LE5300 26 Inch
Tivo Mini Bedroom 3  Element ELEFW328 32 Inch
Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4  Magnavox 32 inch

Arris Touchstone DG1660 15 Mbps down 2 Mbps up.

#54 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 04:40 AM

The "$31" applied to new accounts started on July 23rd (before credits). "$21" applies to new accounts started on July 24th (or after). He just needs to update his price chart. DirecTV does not have a HD access fee or advanced receiver fee that bundles a HD access fee for new customers. That ended July 24th.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#55 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,643 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 05:14 AM

The "$31" applied to new accounts started on July 23rd (before credits). "$21" applies to new accounts started on July 24th (or after). He just needs to update his price chart. DirecTV does not have a HD access fee or advanced receiver fee that bundles a HD access fee for new customers. That ended July 24th.

So in other words , Directv is over charging its existing customers again, and new customers catch another break.

Because I'm still seeing a $25 charge, and my Mom is still seeing a $10 Charge.

#56 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 26 July 2014 - 05:37 AM

I will keep saying as it get's tiring for the $10 HD fee,   They could still keep the DVR fee,   Of course overtime they'll probably add the $6 for first receiver in return for removing the $10 fee,   which could be $4 bucks in savings,   But they'll probably raise either the WHS fee or DVR fee (or Sports fee) for existing customers.   We'll get screwed one way or another as if we aren't already.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#57 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,774 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 08:13 AM

So in other words , Directv is over charging its existing customers again, and new customers catch another break.

So you and your mom don't have some sort of credit offsetting the charge for HD?
If not, perhaps you should complain more directly to DirecTV. :)
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#58 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,446 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 26 July 2014 - 09:52 AM

No AIUI, new customers who want HD must now pay $6.00 more than before 24th.

And new customers who don't want HD, have no choice now but to accept it and must likewise pay $6.00 more than before the 24th.

Therefore new subs. only have a $4.00 savings over existing ones like you and your Mother for the same equipment.

Of course for me, I'm on the old $10 + $10 + $3 billing with the $10 DVR fee permanently waived on a grandfathered Premier package. So I now save $8 in cost over the new sub. pricing instead of only $2. :)    

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#59 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,964 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 26 July 2014 - 09:58 AM

Directv does NOT charge for MRV for new customers.  They charge $15 if you have a dvr, or many dvrs.  end of story.

I see the rate has changed but here's what you're paying for:

Advanced Receiver Service gives customers with any HD DVR receiver access to all of the cutting-edge features available from DIRECTV, including:

• Whole-Home DVR: The ability to record and watch shows in any room, with one HD DVR. (Requires a Genie HD DVR and one Genie Mini for each additional TV, or a DIRECTV Plus HD DVR and an HD receiver for each additional TV)
  • Access to HD programming
  • Thousands shows and movies On Demand
  • Live TV on your tablet or mobile device anywhere in your home
  • The new HD On-Screen Guide
  • Pandora Internet radio and YouTube on your TV
  • Facebook and Twitter connection to share your favorite shows
That WHDS is listed at the top says you're wrong.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#60 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,190 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 26 July 2014 - 10:15 AM

Directv does NOT charge for MRV for new customers.  They charge $15 if you have a dvr, or many dvrs.  end of story.

According to the "new look bill" listed earlier there is a $10 credit on that item to get it down to $15 and it also says the credit is for 3 months only.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM, HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#61 OFFLINE   FLWingNut

FLWingNut

Godfather

• Registered
  • 427 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 10:35 AM

I've always thought there would be a market for a provider that offered premium tiers but no sports at all. Half the country doesn't watch sports, and the more prices for sports content goes up relative to the price for everything else the greater the demand will be for something like this.

The only logical choice (unless Dish had decided go this way a few years ago to better differentiate themselves from Directv) would be someone starting up a new national IPTV provider. Maybe Barry Diller will start something like that up, since Aereo is dead. I suppose technically that would count as part of the "cord cutter" movement, but they'd have access to everything those of us who subscribe to cable or satellite have, except the sports - they'd maybe even have the major sporting events on broadcast networks blacked out to save on retransmission fees.

That's what people really want if they want to save money. If you want a list of channels that's longer than about 20, you'd end up paying more ala carte than you do taking a package that includes those 20 along with 200 others you don't want.

I don't think Disney will sell you ABC without ESPN. Fox won't sell you the FX without Fox Sports 1, etc.
Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

Edited by FLWingNut, 26 July 2014 - 10:37 AM.

#62 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,446 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 26 July 2014 - 11:07 AM

According to the "new look bill" listed earlier there is a $10 credit on that item to get it down to $15 and it also says the credit is for 3 months only.

That's right it does say that;

OH well ....I thought I finally had a handle on this new "easier" pricing structure.  :lol:

Only 3 months for the 10.00 HD access credit?

And whats supposed to happen then?

I can't believe DIRECTV will be then be going up by $16.00 total on post July 23rd new subs.

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#63 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 3,522 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:32 PM

Can you provide a source or two for the assertion that half our country doesn't watch sports, please?

http://stanford.scou...-college-sports

There are 100 million cable subscribers in the United States. If each of them pays $5 a month for ESPN, that’s a revenue flow of $6 billion. Yet only 20 percent of viewers are estimated to watch sports on a regular basis. If we cautiously estimate that, given a choice, only half of cable subscribers would choose to pay for ESPN, that would be a $3 billion dollar yearly revenue loss for ESPN. Some of that loss could be offset by raising the monthly rate for loyal viewers, but the more ESPN charges, the more it risks losing viewers who find the rate too expensive.

http://www.al.com/sp..._sports_br.html

Dish Network Chairman Charlie Ergen told The Sports BusinessJournal in 2011 that sports programming comprises 20 percent of daily viewing but 50 percent of the satellite distributor's costs.

• damondlt likes this

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#64 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,780 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:42 PM

I see the rate has changed but here's what you're paying for:

That WHDS is listed at the top says you're wrong.

As usual you are wrong. You quoted a specific price earlier for just Whole Home Service. That does not exist anymore. They simplified it. If you have DVR you have Whole Home Service it's included. End of story, stop trying to reword things to make it see like you know what he talking about.

#65 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 3,522 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:43 PM

I don't think Disney will sell you ABC without ESPN. Fox won't sell you the FX without Fox Sports 1, etc.

Disney won't at first, but if someone put together a package that included all the other sports-free networks like AMC, HBO and so on, and starts getting a lot of subscribers, maybe they start feeling the pain and have to cave. Fox may or may not be willing to deal, FS1 isn't that big yet. They probably collect less money for it than they do for FNC. If you don't get Disney on board, what exactly are you losing? The Disney channel? ABC Family? Big deal, most people could live without them with all the money they'd be saving not paying for sports they don't want.

You'd still get your ABC network programming, because those negotiations are with local stations just like cable/satellite providers do today. Though actually if you could get the network feeds you'd be better off. The FCC rules covering cable/satellite probably wouldn't apply to a pure IP delivery provider, though I'm sure you'd get sued by the NAB and have to go through court to establish that.

If you don't watch sports, what reason do you as a subscriber have to care about getting your local station versus getting whatever station that provides you each network? Local news? Put up an antenna or visit their web site!

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#66 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,780 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:44 PM

I meant new customers. Do as I did, open up and incognito window in a web browser and start a directv new system and you will see the only advanced receiver fee is the DVR fee now at 15 and there is no mention of Hi Definition or sd, as its all included, you are only being channels now, not Hi Definition or sd. Finally.

#67 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,780 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:49 PM

Because I'm still seeing a $25 charge, and my Mom is still seeing a $10 Charge.

I'm paying 23. It just depends. Add in they now pay for every outlet, you are paying four more, I'm paying 2 more. But......

Depending on when and what package you signed up for, I also get more channels for about the same price as a new customer, as I'm on an older package.

It gets real convoluted when you start looking at that aspect.

Personally I wish they would end all grandfathering for everything and move everyone to the same pricing structure so its easier for everyone to understand and follow and not have to call in for out 10 off for a year every year. But that will never happen. Its better than cable though, they hadn't touched a grandfathered package for one of my neighbors. So they where paying 80 more a month than the newer package and getting less channels. Needless to say they now have directv, that had been going on for several years we came to find out.
  • damondlt likes this

#68 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,780 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:51 PM

I will keep saying as it get's tiring for the $10 HD fee, They could still keep the DVR fee, Of course overtime they'll probably add the $6 for first receiver in return for removing the $10 fee, which could be $4 bucks in savings, But they'll probably raise either the WHS fee or DVR fee (or Sports fee) for existing customers. We'll get screwed one way or another as if we aren't already.

As I said before, directv no longer has a charge for Whole Home Service. It's just the 15 DVR fee that includes Whole Home Service and all. They can't raise that fee, option doesn't exist. Only the DVR fee.

#69 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,780 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:52 PM

Yeah that's for old customers. Like you me and anyone signed up before the 24. Start a new setup in their system and you will see that its just a DVR fee now.

#70 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,780 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 01:53 PM

That's right it does say that;

OH well ....I thought I finally had a handle on this new "easier" pricing structure. :lol:

Only 3 months for the 10.00 HD access credit?

And whats supposed to happen then?

I can't believe DIRECTV will be then be going up by $16.00 total on post July 23rd new subs.

It's not. That has nothing to do with Hi Definition fees. That's just a credit for signing up or something. Completely different.

#71 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,643 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:41 AM

http://stanford.scou...-college-sports

http://www.al.com/sp..._sports_br.html

20% is a fairly large number.
But there is also a lot of sports out there to watch.

But yes I agree sports is big, but not what Directv makes it out to be.
Most people watch their local sports to begin with.

#72 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,190 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:49 AM

I watch:

Nascar racing,

NHRA racing,

Golf, Men's and Ladies,

Tennis,

Boxing,

Once in awhile I watch a Football game like the Super Bowl.

I have the package I have because of the Golf Channel, the Tennis Channel, FS! and FS2. I could drop down 1 package but I would lose 1 or 2 of those.

Edited by jimmie57, 27 July 2014 - 09:40 AM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM, HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#73 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,113 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:01 AM

Thank you for the source. But the author didn't cite any sites, using the "it is estimated" copout. Then he goes on to say, (which you quoted also)

There are 100 million cable subscribers in the United States. If each of them pays $5 a month for ESPN, that’s a revenue flow of $6 billion. Yet only 20 percent of viewers are estimated to watch sports on a regular basis. If we cautiously estimate that, given a choice, only half of cable subscribers would choose to pay for ESPN, that would be a $3 billion dollar yearly revenue loss for ESPN. 

So by his estimate, half of cable subscribers would choose to drop ESPN if they could get around the (then large) fee that'd be charged if there were unbundling.  That's a big assumption, and pre-supposes unbundling will happen. 

Furthermore, even if his estimate is correct, more DIRECTV subscribers would be likely to continue to pay as presumably we have a higher percentage of sports fans than any other service. Perhaps much higher. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#74 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,525 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:17 AM

There are 100 million cable subscribers in the United States. If each of them pays $5 a month for ESPN, that’s a revenue flow of $6 billion. Yet only 20 percent of viewers are estimated to watch sports on a regular basis. If we cautiously estimate that, given a choice, only half of cable subscribers would choose to pay for ESPN, that would be a $3 billion dollar yearly revenue loss for ESPN. Some of that loss could be offset by raising the monthly rate for loyal viewers, but the more ESPN charges, the more it risks losing viewers who find the rate too expensive.

I am of them.  I never, ever watch ESPN.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#75 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,643 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:22 AM

I am of them. I never, ever watch ESPN.

Monday night football, that's about it for me too. And only when my team is playing.
I hardly watch sports anymore on any channel.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...