Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Convoluted !

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 296 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:47 AM

I got a email from Direct TV ! WOW Really ! We used to make fun about reading Stereo Instructions ! You need a LAWYER to explain it ! With all the smoking mirrors and Games !

Offers valid through 4/9/14. Credit card required (except in MA & PA). New approved customers only (lease required). $19.95 Handling & Delivery fee may apply. Applicable use tax adjustment may apply on the retail value of the installation. Programming, pricing and offers are subject to change and may vary in certain markets. Some offers may not be available through all channels and in select areas.

*BILL CREDIT/PROGRAMMING OFFER: IF BY THE END OF PROMOTIONAL PRICE PERIOD(S) CUSTOMER DOES NOT CONTACT DIRECTV TO CHANGE SERVICE THEN ALL SERVICES WILL AUTOMATICALLY CONTINUE AT THE THEN-PREVAILING RATES. Three free months of HBO and SHOWTIME, a $90 value. Three free months of four premium movie packages, a $144 value. LIMIT ONE PROGRAMMING OFFER PER ACCOUNT. Featured package/service names and current prices: SELECT $49.99/mo.; ENTERTAINMENT $57.99/mo.; CHOICE $66.99/mo.; Advanced Receiver fee $25/mo. In certain markets, a Regional Sports fee of up to $3.63/mo. will be assessed with CHOICE Package or above and MÁS ULTRA Package or above. Prices include the following instant bill credits for 12 months: $25 for SELECT Package, $28 for ENTERTAINMENT Package and $32 for CHOICE Package. °$10 CREDIT OFFER: To receive the $10 bill credit for 24 months on your Advanced Receiver fee (required for Genie HD DVR or HD DVR lease), customer must, at point of sale, provide a valid email address and activate and maintain the SELECT Package or above, ÓPTIMO MÁS Package or above, or any qualifying international service bundle which shall include the PREFERRED CHOICE Package, Auto Bill Pay and Paperless Billing. †2014 NFL SUNDAY TICKET OFFER: Package consists of all out-of-market NFL games (based on customer’s service address) broadcast on FOX and CBS. Games available via remote viewing based on device location. Local broadcasts are subject to blackout rules. Other conditions apply. 2014 NFL SUNDAY TICKET regular full-season retail price is $239.94. 2014 NFL SUNDAY TICKET MAX regular full-season retail price is $329.94. Customers activating CHOICE Package or above or MÁS ULTRA Package or above will be automatically enrolled in the 2014 season of NFL SUNDAY TICKET at no additional cost and will receive a free upgrade to NFL SUNDAY TICKET MAX for the 2014 season. NFL SUNDAY TICKET subscription will automatically continue each season at special renewal rate unless customer calls to cancel prior to start of season. To renew NFL SUNDAY TICKET MAX, customer must call to upgrade after the 2014 season. Subscription cannot be cancelled (in part or in whole) after the start of the season and subscription fee cannot be refunded. Account must be in “good standing” as determined by DIRECTV in its sole discretion to remain eligible for all offers.

**24-MONTH AGREEMENT: EARLY CANCELLATION WILL RESULT IN A FEE OF $20/MONTH FOR EACH REMAINING MONTH. Must maintain 24 consecutive months of any DIRECTV base programming package ($29.99/mo. or above) or any qualifying international service bundle. Advanced Receiver-DVR fee ($10/mo.) required for DVR lease. Advanced Receiver-HD fee ($10/mo.) required for HD Receiver lease. Advanced Receiver fee ($25/mo.) required for Genie HD DVR, HD DVR and TiVo HD DVR from DIRECTV lease. TiVo service fee ($5/mo.) required for TiVo HD DVR from DIRECTV lease. If you have two receivers and/or one receiver and a Genie Mini Client/Enabled TV/Device, the fee is $6/mo. For the third and each additional receiver and/or Genie Mini Client/Enabled TV/Device on your account, you are charged an additional fee of $6/mo. per receiver, Genie Mini Client and/or Enabled TV/Device. NON-ACTIVATION CHARGE OF $150 PER RECEIVER MAY APPLY. ALL EQUIPMENT (EXCLUDING GENIEGO DEVICE) IS LEASED AND MUST BE RETURNED TO DIRECTV UPON CANCELLATION, OR UNRETURNED EQUIPMENT FEES APPLY. VISIT directv.com/legal OR CALL 1-800-DIRECTV FOR DETAILS. ^GENIE HD DVR UPGRADE OFFER: Includes instant rebates on one Genie HD DVR and up to three Genie Mini Clients (excluding model C41W) with activation of the ENTERTAINMENT Package or above; ÓPTIMO MÁS Package or above; or any qualifying international service bundle, which shall include the PREFERRED CHOICE programming package. Free upgrade offer requires a Genie HD DVR and at least one Genie Mini Client. $99 fee applies for single-room setup. Whole-Home HD DVR functionality requires a Genie HD DVR connected to the primary television and a Genie Mini Client, H25 HD Receiver(s) or an RVU-capable TV/Device in each additional room. Limit of three remote viewings per Genie HD DVR at a time. Visit directv.com/genie for complete details. INSTALLATION: Standard professional installation in up to four rooms only. Custom installation extra.

DIRECTV ON DEMAND: Access to available DIRECTV On Demand programming is based on package selection. Actual number of titles will vary. Additional fees apply for new releases. Some DIRECTV On Demand content requires an HD DVR (HR20 or later) or DVR (R22 or later), DIRECTV CINEMA Connection Kit and broadband Internet service with speeds of 750 kbps or higher, and a network router with an available Ethernet port. Visit directv.com/cinema for details. To access DIRECTV HD programming, HD equipment required. Number of HD channels based on package selection. Local channels eligibility based on service address. Not all networks available in all markets. Programming, pricing, terms and conditions subject to change at any time. Pricing residential. Taxes not included. Receipt of DIRECTV programming subject to DIRECTV Customer Agreement; copy provided at directv.com/legal and in order confirmation. DIRECTV and the Cyclone Design logo, CHOICE and GENIE are trademarks of DIRECTV, LLC. All other trademarks and service marks are the property of their respective owners.

Attached Thumbnails

• DTV.jpg

King Cable Cutter ! XBMC , PLEX , Raspberry Pi   Love my New Boxes :)

Avatars are to protect the Ugly people from scaring others !
Come from the land of Pennsylvania where Cable TV was invented ! Had HBO back in the 70's and total cable bill was $ 12.00 and all TV's got Cable with no extra fee ! Been using satellite since the C-Band Days and Dave and Charlie

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,618 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:48 AM

Well, you can always downgrade to DISH or Cable and deal with their "convoluted smoking mirrors and games"!  :sure:

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#3 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,914 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:53 AM

That's not from DirecTV, it's from a dealer..... Sweetwater Satellite

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#4 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,572 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 13 March 2014 - 01:38 PM

You expected that there wouldn't be conditions with such an offer?

The only real sneaky part is that you have to ask to be removed from a couple of "free" promotions.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#5 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,572 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 13 March 2014 - 01:41 PM

That's not from DirecTV, it's from a dealer..... Sweetwater Satellite

The fine print is a cut and paste of the additional information fine print on the DIRECTV website so it isn't exclusive to Sweetwater.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#6 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,078 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 13 March 2014 - 01:47 PM

It is long, but comprehensable.  There are a lot of conditions, but each one is explained clearly.  I would only have a problem if they did not provide the information.

#7 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 296 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 01:58 PM

What really rubs my @$$ is they portrayal you can get TV for only $ 24.99 a month ! Not even Close ! After all the DVR and HD fee's and other sneaky fee's added

Come from the land of Pennsylvania where Cable TV was invented ! Had HBO back in the 70's and total cable bill was $ 12.00 and all TV's got Cable with no extra fee ! Been using satellite since the C-Band Days and Dave and Charlie

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,315 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 13 March 2014 - 02:23 PM

What really rubs my @$$ is they portrayal you can get TV for only $ 24.99 a month ! Not even Close ! After all the DVR and HD fee's and other sneaky fee's added

you can def get that price, unless YOU decide to add more services like a DVR and HD then YOU are altering the promotion and as such YOU increase the price.  Dont se nothing wrong there

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#9 OFFLINE   WB4CS

WB4CS

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, AL

Posted 13 March 2014 - 02:25 PM

I'll give you that argument, but show me a TV provider that doesn't do that - they all do. A well educated consumer knows that if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Also, it is possible to get the $24.99 a month price if you go with only 1 SD receiver, so it's not necessarily false advertising.

When I signed up for service I totally expected to pay more than $24.99/Mo, but that's because I've been paying for TV for many years and I know how the ballgame works. Even at my current $80/Mo bill, I'm perfectly happy. Much better and cheaper than cable TV. When the promo prices roll off my account, I'll either suck it up and pay the additional money or drop down to a lower package. I agree that it sucks, but it's how the pay TV model is now for all providers. 

#10 OFFLINE   richard1428

richard1428

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 02:28 PM

Unfortunatley it works the same way on other companies as well. They add extra charges after their promotional basic price( cable,dish,phones,etc).
Dont get mad bro. It's just TV

Edited by richard1428, 13 March 2014 - 02:30 PM.

#11 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 13 March 2014 - 03:00 PM

You've been around long enough to know there are no free lunches, but you seem to still be looking for that mythical unicorn of cheap/free tv....

#12 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,572 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:03 PM

Chumming is the order of the day in the pay TV business and DIRECTV isn't alone (although their honeymoon discounts are among the largest in the industry).

#13 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 296 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 06:51 AM

Well those business models are going by the way side ! My Cell bill used to be that way with Sprint ! Hooked up with Republic Wireless saying My bill will be $ 19.00 month for everything no hidden fee's other then Tax and to this day my bill is $ 19.00 The industry is already scared with the cable cutters turning to the Internet ! With Cable or Fios  And now with 4g spreading gives a viable option also :) Just makes you wonder how many Consumers are sucked into it believing you should expect to pay avg $ 100 month for TV

#14 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,572 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:16 AM

Well those business models are going by the way side ! My Cell bill used to be that way with Sprint ! Hooked up with Republic Wireless saying My bill will be $ 19.00 month for everything no hidden fee's other then Tax and to this day my bill is $ 19.00 The industry is already scared with the cable cutters turning to the Internet !

Cell phone service and TV service are two wildly different things that are moving a hugely different rates.  What a particular customer will put up with for wireless service is a whole lot worse than what they will accept for TV PQ.  Cable franchising also has a calming effect on big moves in competition.

Cord cutters aren't as legion as many seem to think.  Many talk big but return to the fold once they've lost access to what they were really watching TV for.

• WB4CS likes this

#15 OFFLINE   WB4CS

WB4CS

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, AL

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:47 AM

Cell phone service and TV service are two wildly different things that are moving a hugely different rates.  What a particular customer will put up with for wireless service is a whole lot worse than what they will accept for TV PQ.  Cable franchising also has a calming effect on big moves in competition.

Cord cutters aren't as legion as many seem to think.  Many talk big but return to the fold once they've lost access to what they were really watching TV for.

Yep! I was a cord cutter for a month, then came back once I got tired of hearing my friends spoil TV shows I haven't seen yet because they weren't yet available on Hulu or Amazon. 

The only people that benefit from cord cutting are people who either don't watch enough TV to care, or people that cannot afford pay-TV and need to keep food on the table. (Or you don't have any friends that will ruin the latest episode of your favorite show :)

#16 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 296 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 05:57 AM

Yep! I was a cord cutter for a month, then came back once I got tired of hearing my friends spoil TV shows I haven't seen yet because they weren't yet available on Hulu or Amazon. 

The only people that benefit from cord cutting are people who either don't watch enough TV to care, or people that cannot afford pay-TV and need to keep food on the table. (Or you don't have any friends that will ruin the latest episode of your favorite show :)

Ummm Better do some research before stating false truths ! If you have high speed Internet ! Cable cutters GET MORE TV ! And get to watch it when they want to ! With out the hassle to remember to set the DVR ! I keep DTV going because of my Vacation home location ONLY. But my residence I set up my own Network in HD Which Is higher quality then DTV sends down ! And with using MCEBuddy I don't have to view commercials LOL and have a better viewing experience with XBMC ! I tried using my DTV DVR to view my Home movies or photos and it SUCKS. You might want to check out youtube videos on how XBMC .

Getting off subject Yes Cell phones and TV are different and NOT so different ! Back in the days of ATT only ! Remember ? And what happened ? The break up ! Then Cell came along with Cellular ONE which I had back in 1984 with Cell phone bills avg $ 300.00 a MONTH ! at .50 cense a minute ! And long distance WAS Extra !

Now I am at $ 19.00 for everything including long distance and Internet with the ability to watch TV on my smart phone !!!!! When I want ! So yes things are going to cross over VERY soon ! Back to Convoluted billing practices ! It may be the norm for TV but when people start to understand there are other options out there ! Its only a matter of TIME when the FCC breaks up the Cable monopoly like what happened to ATT allowing start ups to share the WIRE same goes with the OTA !

Edited by Rickt1962, 15 March 2014 - 06:00 AM.

#17 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 296 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 06:04 AM

It is long, but comprehensable.  There are a lot of conditions, but each one is explained clearly.  I would only have a problem if they did not provide the information.

That's why I commented as STEREO Instructions ! LOL Yep its in there ! ALL VERY CLEAR Slow down take a few hours and read it over ! Maybe Im wrong its more like programming days of a VCR ! ! LOL They really should make the txt smaller ;)

#18 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,618 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 March 2014 - 06:44 AM

That's why I commented as STEREO Instructions ! LOL Yep its in there ! ALL VERY CLEAR Slow down take a few hours and read it over ! Maybe Im wrong its more like programming days of a VCR ! ! LOL They really should make the txt smaller ;)

I agree with fleckrj. It's long, but "comprenhensible". Would you like it set to music?

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#19 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,572 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:59 AM

Ummm Better do some research before stating false truths ! If you have high speed Internet ! Cable cutters GET MORE TV ! And get to watch it when they want to !

You'll let us know when you can legally watch a live boxing match online without a cable or satellite subscription, won't you?  The "when you want to" is the key thing that you often cannot get with IPTV as WB4CS noted.  If someone is spoiling Walking Dead for you, can you enjoy it as much?

The movie services like HBO and Starz with all of their original programming require active pay TV subscriptions.

Does the BBC offer the latest episodes of Dr. Who and Top Gear online?

Can you watch the hoops tournament?

The glitz and glamor of cord cutting is largely sustained with falsehoods (since there is no such thing as a "false truth".
  • sigma1914 likes this

#20 OFFLINE   WB4CS

WB4CS

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, AL

Posted 17 March 2014 - 11:48 AM

I just love it when someone starts a thread on the internet, then people discuss and point out other points of views, and then the original poster just responds with "No, You're wrong! You're wrong! You don't agree with me so you must be wrong!" 

• sigma1914 likes this

spam firewall