Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Shipping charges to replace or return equipment

Shipping Charges Fees Equipment Return Replace Modem Set Top Box Remote Control Cancellation

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Lugatha

Lugatha

• Registered
  • 8 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 13 March 2014 - 02:27 PM

Greetings!

I am currently working on a research paper that compares a few of the major TV providers' services and charges. Unfortunately I'm having a tough time finding info for a particular section of my paper that covers what each provider charges to ship equipment. During my web search I came across this spiffy BBS which appears to be the best one to reach out to for this type of info.

What I'm looking for is how much providers charge to ship hardware for the following scenarios:

• New customer self install kits
  • Replacing bad remote controls
  • Replacing bad set top boxes and IPTV modems
  • Returning equipment after having cancelled service

If anybody has any fairly recent dollar figures for the above mentioned questions I would greatly appreciate the help!

:computer:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,021 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:12 PM

New customer self install kits

These haven't been available for many years (prolly 13 years or more).

Replacing bad remote controls

I don't think they charge shipping but the remotes are usually cheaper on Amazon.

Replacing bad set top boxes and IPTV modems

STBs ship for around $15. There is no such beastie as an IPTV MODEM. If you meant a whole home client box, I think the price is the same.

Returning equipment after having cancelled service

DIRECTV doesn't charge and DISH charges $15 each.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#3 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,717 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:34 PM

I would think you could call each company and find out pretty easily what they charge for shipping.  I don't think any of the info is hidden, though I don't know any of it off the top of my head.  Have you tried calling the companies?

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#4 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,989 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:23 AM

I can only speak for DirecTV costs.

Like Harsh said self install isn't really an option anymore.

For the others if you have the protection plan everything would be free.

If you don't have the protection plan then replacing a defective leased receiver has a shipping cost of $20.  Sometimes if you can get them to waive that fee (if you are a good customer who hasn't had many discounts already).

I just logged into my DirecTV account and it looks like replacement remotes cost $15, $25, or $30 depending on which model you need.  Shipping on any of them is free.  Again, some customers can get them for free if they call.

The AM21 OTA tuner add on is $50 with free shipping.

I'm guessing IPTV modem isn't really applicable here, most likely you are carrying it over from other services you are looking into?  The closest thing DirecTV would have to that would be the Wireless Cinema Connect Kit.  If you have compatible equipment  you can order the WCCK for self install at a cost of $25 and pay $7 shipping on top of that ($32 total).  Again, some customers can get them for free if they call.

When you cancel service DirecTV will send you boxes to ship back all of your receivers for free.

Hope this helps.

• Lugatha likes this
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#5 OFFLINE   Lugatha

Lugatha

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:39 AM

These haven't been available for many years (prolly 13 years or more).
I don't think they charge shipping but the remotes are usually cheaper on Amazon.
STBs ship for around $15. There is no such beastie as an IPTV MODEM. If you meant a whole home client box, I think the price is the same.
DIRECTV doesn't charge and DISH charges $15 each.

For self install kits I'm referring to set top boxes that cable companies can send to the customer to connect to an existing coax outlet themselves without the need for a technician visit (e.g. http://www.myaccount...icleID=3266#one )

As for IPTV modems, I have FTTH through my local telco and my TV and internet signals are both distrubuted through an Actiontec V1000H. It's a modem/router combo that can handle IPTV distribution.

So, DirecTV does not add the cost of the pre-paid return shipping labels to the final bill like DISH does?

#6 OFFLINE   Lugatha

Lugatha

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:41 AM

Oops, looks like somebody else just confirmed the DirecTV question while I was typing :righton:

#7 OFFLINE   Lugatha

Lugatha

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:45 AM

I would think you could call each company and find out pretty easily what they charge for shipping.  I don't think any of the info is hidden, though I don't know any of it off the top of my head.  Have you tried calling the companies?

They all want to start by pulling up your account before they move on to what you're calling in for. I don't have accounts with all these various companies so I've been asking Google...

#8 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,989 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:51 AM

Ok, for adding an additional receiver I believe they charge the same $20 shipping fee as replacing a defective one.  This would pretty much only be available if DirecTV already has it in their system that you have an outlet that was previously used for their service.  For example if you had a receiver in a bedroom, and then cancelled it for some reason and sent it back.  If you decided to add one back to that same bedroom later they would ship one to you for $20 (this does not include the up front lease fee you might have to pay, which could be anywhere from $49-$299 depending on what type of receiver you get).  The shipping would be $20 no matter what you get though.  Another example would be if you were upgrading from an SD receiver to an HD receiver, DirecTV would know that outlet would work so they would just drop ship the receiver for $20.  Otherwise they would require a tech to come install it, which costs $49.  Some customers can get the shipping fee waived, or even get the receiver for free depending on their account history.

• Lugatha likes this
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#9 OFFLINE   Lugatha

Lugatha

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:52 AM

Thanks Beerstalker!  By the way, I just remembered that I posted my question in the "General Satelite Discussion" section. I'm looking for info on both satelite and other types of TV providers like cable and IPTV, but I didn't see an all inclusive forum to post it to. Apoligies if I'm a bit off topic.

#10 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,989 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:55 AM

Thanks Beerstalker!  By the way, I just remembered that I posted my question in the "General Satelite Discussion" section. I'm looking for info on both satelite and other types of TV providers like cable and IPTV, but I didn't see an all inclusive forum to post it to. Apoligies if I'm a bit off topic.

This is probably a good place to post to get info on DirecTV and Dish, without making a seperate post in each of their own sections.  For the other providers like U-verse, Fios, Comcast, Charter, Time Warner, etc. you might want to post a similar thread here.

http://www.dbstalk.c...-tv-discussion/

-by Jack Handy

#11 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,021 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:18 PM

They all want to start by pulling up your account before they move on to what you're calling in for. I don't have accounts with all these various companies so I've been asking Google...

Rather than trying to compare them against what you have, it will be much quicker to price what it is that you want to end up with.

With satellite, you can't just turn it off if it doesn't work out as they demand Early Termination Fees (as do some cable promotions). DIRECTV's ETF is $20/month and DISH's is $17/month.

Your "IPTV modem" is what the rest of the free world calls a gateway. It is a combination of multiple devices (modem, router, SIP adapter and perhaps a WAP) into a single package and it doesn't much apply outside of FTTH at this point.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Shipping, Charges, Fees, Equipment, Return, Replace, Modem, Set Top Box, Remote Control, Cancellation

Protected By... spam firewall...And...