Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Is direct tv falling behind?

• Please log in to reply
266 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   icr2002

icr2002

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:01 PM

Dish annouced an 8 tuner dvr.  Wheres Direct tvs?!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,028 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:05 PM

They did? Do you have a link?

#3 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,913 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:14 PM

Dish annouced an 8 tuner dvr.  Wheres Direct tvs?!

Actually it's a Hopper with Super Joey, not just a single 8 tuner DVR. Also, the 8 shows recording is fancy math... it's not any 8 recordings; it's 4 PTAT + 2 on the Hopper + 2 on the Joey.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#4 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,808 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:15 PM

Dish Network announced at CES that they would upgrade the Hopper to record 8 programs at once.  Of course, this is REALLY a 5 tuner DVR, but they take advantage of the trick of putting all 4 broadcast networks on one transponder, and then having their "Primetime Anytime" feature simply record the entire transponder.  So, if you want to record ALL 4 networks, then that, plus the 4 available other tuners, allows you to record 8 programs at once.

So, depending upon whether or not you want to record ABC, CBS, FOX or NBC during primetime, this DVR will have the ability to record 5, 6, 7 or 8 programs of interest.  However, outside of primetime, and if you are not interested in recording more than 1 primetime network program, it is a 5 tuner DVR, just like the DirecTV Genie.

EDIT:  Didn't realize it actually used 2 different pieces of hardware.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#5 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,028 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:19 PM

Yeah I figured that's all this is which is to say its nice but it's iffy that it's better than a genie for most people. It could go either way depending on the house.

#6 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,565 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:23 PM

While DISH offers a combination of goodies that can record as many as 8 (or maybe 9) programs at once to a single hard drive, their Hopper DVR has three satellite tuners in it. This requires two boxes (and a USB attachment for tuning one OTA channel?) as well as imposing a condition that four of the channels are ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC.

DIRECTV's flagship Genie DVR can record up to five programs at once (more or less unconditionally) and that's probably enough for most.

For most, it comes down to what the box can deliver in terms of programming and the user interface, No number of tuners can address that issue.

Edited by harsh, 13 March 2014 - 04:26 PM.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#7 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,968 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:34 PM

And ironically it (the Hopper-Super Joey combo) is actually a degradation in recording capacity of one less tuner than a two Hopper installation, since the streaming requirement of up to two programming channels by the SJ to its parent Hopper heavily taxes the bandwidth of their MoCA network such that a max. of only one Hopper and SJ can be used in a customer installation.

Any more beyond the Hopper-SJ combo in an install must be regular Joeys 

Edited by HoTat2, 13 March 2014 - 05:18 PM.

DIRECTV sub. since Sep. of '95

#8 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,861 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:40 PM

Yeah, it's not an 8-tuner DVR by any stretch. "If" you live in a market where PrimeTime AnyTime works, AND you have a Hopper, THEN you can add a Super Joey. This gives you 5 full-time tuners and the ability to record up to 4 broadcast networks at the same time ONLY DURING PRIME TIME. Keep in mind too that no other equipment can be in the system if it's a hopper system.

DISH may finally be getting to the point where they can offer their customers 5 full-time recording tuners to all be shared, but DIRECTV did that in 2010 when they offered whole-home, and then gave you a 5-tuner box in 2012. You can upgrade your DIRECTV system to almost infinite capacity if you don't share programs with more than 10 devices at a time, and if you have a Genie and 5 HR24s on a SWM16, you have a simple system with 15 recording tuners that can all share programming. DISH is nowhere near that.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#9 OFFLINE   jasondm4

jasondm4

Mentor

• Registered
  • 51 posts
  • LocationLeague City, TX

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:41 PM

I'm sorry but recording 8 shows at once just sounds ridiculous. I mean what % of consumers would actually take advantage of all that. Not many. 

Directv customer since 2007.
Choice Ultimate + HD Extra Pack Subscriber

Living Room: HR44-500 Genie HD DVR
Master: HR24-500 HD DVR
Guest Room: C41-100 Genie Mini Client

MRV

Slimline 3S SWM

#10 OFFLINE   kaminar

kaminar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 188 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:48 PM

1 For the hopper/super joey setup, can the user view and/or set-up recordings, from any receiver?

2. Is it shared in a similar fashion to the D* Genie/Whole Home system is the viewing and access limited?

3. Tuner in each joey means pause/rewind live tv, right?

4. Any specific limitations we should know of?

Is there a way to compare specs/features? We should make a list.

Does E* plan a wireless video hopper in the future, like the HR44/Wireless Video Bridge/C41W set-up?

-=K=-

#11 OFFLINE   kaminar

kaminar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 188 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:52 PM

I'm sorry but recording 8 shows at once just sounds ridiculous. I mean what % of consumers would actually take advantage of all that. Not many. 

In general, a small %. On this forum, a much, MUCH larger % :)

An exotic sports car might be able to reach 200mph, but how many owners ever attempt such speeds? More likely, they enjoy the fact they CAN, if ever they wish to.

-=K=-

#12 OFFLINE   JohnBoy

JohnBoy

• Registered
  • 253 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:58 PM

Yeah, it's not an 8-tuner DVR by any stretch. "If" you live in a market where PrimeTime AnyTime works, AND you have a Hopper, THEN you can add a Super Joey. This gives you 5 full-time tuners and the ability to record up to 4 broadcast networks at the same time ONLY DURING PRIME TIME. Keep in mind too that no other equipment can be in the system if it's a hopper system.

DISH may finally be getting to the point where they can offer their customers 5 full-time recording tuners to all be shared, but DIRECTV did that in 2010 when they offered whole-home, and then gave you a 5-tuner box in 2012. You can upgrade your DIRECTV system to almost infinite capacity if you don't share programs with more than 10 devices at a time, and if you have a Genie and 5 HR24s on a SWM16, you have a simple system with 15 recording tuners that can all share programming. DISH is nowhere near that.

Impressive....

Now if Directv can give me a firmware update to get rid of ghost caller id's while i'm on the phone would be nice.

Mas Ultra Package + NFL ST MAX (Go Bills) MLB Xtra innings (Go Yankees)
1  Genie HR 44 - 700
3   Mini Genie C41 - 100
1 AM21 OTA Tuner

#13 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,861 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 05:17 PM

"soon"
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#14 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,222 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 13 March 2014 - 05:26 PM

True, there are only two of us in the house, but in more than six years with DVR's only twice have I had to watch an OTA program on my TV because my DVR was busy recording two programs at once.

I don't need or want a Hopper or a Genie...

• Rich likes this
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#15 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 13 March 2014 - 05:41 PM

...and then having their "Primetime Anytime" feature simply record the entire transponder.  ..

it's a myth

I did post how it's done after analyzing the recordings from real drive.

#16 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 05:50 PM

I wouldn't be as concerned with recording 8 shows as I am with available tuners.  I would run into conflicts on a regular basis if I was limited to PTAT, and four open tuners.  There is more math involved, such as a user on Sling and other TVs tuned to live programming.  For me, a Genie, 4 HR24s and 2 H25s leaves me with 13 recordings, 2 live and an open port on the SWM 16.  That is hard to max out in real life.

#17 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,785 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:12 PM

I currently have nine tuners and the only time I have use them all at a time was the first time I use the genie to test them.

#18 OFFLINE   Riverpilot

Riverpilot

AllStar

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:33 PM

I'm ready for two genies in my home. 8 recordings at once plus being able to watch on each tv? I'm in... Lets' go Directv! TWO GENIES :)

#19 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,028 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:08 PM

That is so very easy for me to accomplish.  Way to easy actually.  I see that as a great thing, but it needs to be any channel all the time to be useful.  Its the sports that push me past five.

#20 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,717 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:14 PM

I'm ready for two genies in my home. 8 recordings at once plus being able to watch on each tv? I'm in... Lets' go Directv! TWO GENIES :)

Two Genies would give you 10 tuners.

spam firewall