Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Is direct tv falling behind?

• Please log in to reply
266 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,893 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:22 PM

Yes, but he said 8 record plus both have a live channel..  ;)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   quack05

quack05

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 07:59 AM

So who cares about a Super Joey.  I have a Genie and 2 other DVR's so I can record 9 shows at once and they all would be what I wanted to record, not what dish says needs to be recorded.

#23 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:35 AM

So who cares about a Super Joey.  I have a Genie and 2 other DVR's so I can record 9 shows at once and they all would be what I wanted to record, not what dish says needs to be recorded.

D*'s advertising group thanks you for quoting from one of their dumber ads!  :)  I always like the ads with 'users' that are so dumb you just know if they had a VCR it would still be blinking 12:00 after all these years!!  :)

That said.  From the topic of this discussion, and totally from a UI perspective, D* fell way behind the day the first Hopper shipped.  Today's HDGUI on D* is just a slightly gussied up version of the old school text version they had for many years.  The fact that they did it this way is only superseded by how long it took them to get even that done.  I had to LOL so many times when the usual fanbois brayed about how wonderful the new D* HDGUI was, and then when the rest of us got to see it and how it negatively affected so many HRs at the time, we knew it was really one of the biggest wastes of programming talent in history!

For those that need tons of tuners D* is well ahead of Dish, that isn't even an argument as far as I can see.

But for the vast majority, a single Genie with some Minis or a single Hopper with some Joeys would more than fill the bill.  The addition of the Super Joey is a nice step and is much nicer in implementation than the 2 Hopper setup.  So where the rubber meets the road it is just 2 solutions to a single problem, with both solutions more than capable enough for almost all of both D* and E* customers.

Only those power users might see it differently, and for them it IS a big deal.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#24 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 542 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:41 AM

Yeah, it's not an 8-tuner DVR by any stretch. "If" you live in a market where PrimeTime AnyTime works, AND you have a Hopper, THEN you can add a Super Joey. This gives you 5 full-time tuners and the ability to record up to 4 broadcast networks at the same time ONLY DURING PRIME TIME.

Not so. Recording 4 shows on one tuner has been 24/7 for a while now. BTW, the OTA tuner adds a tuner.

#25 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 14 March 2014 - 08:55 AM

Dish annouced an 8 tuner dvr.  Wheres Direct tvs?!

Yeah, about that........read a little deeper.....8 tuners my ***

#26 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,066 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:07 AM

I think probably every one might agree that the DIRECTV GUI does need a face lift. I know that DIRECTV wants to try to keep the user experience fairly consistent between all their platforms but I think that is holding back the Genie from what it can be changed into. Maybe DIRECTV just needs to wake up and say OK, the HR2X, H2X and SD receiver lines can look the same but Genie will get a 2014 looking interface.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#27 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:26 AM

The current menu system isn't so old, but I agree that it could look better. Certainly the HR34 and HR44 Genies could support a more advanced, more responsive OS, but going back now 8 years the real issue is that DIRECTV insists that all its receivers have the same text size, the same number of lines in the guide, etc. What works on a 13" SD TV and what works on a 60" LED are obviously quite different, and different people like different things.

Putting aside some of my personal issues about the typography in the menus (which is sadly a step backwards from the previous) it does at least make sense to offer several text sizes for the guide and info bar.
  • wilbur_the_goose likes this
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#28 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:27 AM

There's no evidence that D* thinks that way at all, or is even considering it.  And personally I think that's too bad.

But I've always had this niggling thought in the back of my head that D* does things in minimalistic ways when it comes to the tech itself.  I think the boxes have always been designed around today's issue with little to no thought where we might be in just a few years out.  IOW, the HR44 Genie is very fast, faster even than the Hopper w/Sling I had, but it is the only box D* has ever had that is faster than any of E*'s boxes over the years.

And it isn't just speed.  Consider the HR20.  4 tuners, yeah sounds great, but could only use 2 at any given time.  A totally illogical and unexcusable design consideration.  And then to watch as each HR from there on until the HR24, be slower than the previous for all too many.  Just poor designs and implementation and is a sign of minimalistic design consideration IMO.  And you don't have to look that far back.  Add an AM21 and it doesn't add a tuner, it replaces one in use.

Lloyd

#29 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:31 AM

The current menu system isn't so old, but I agree that it could look better. Certainly the HR34 and HR44 Genies could support a more advanced, more responsive OS, but going back now 8 years the real issue is that DIRECTV insists that all its receivers have the same text size, the same number of lines in the guide, etc. What works on a 13" SD TV and what works on a 60" LED are obviously quite different, and different people like different things.

Putting aside some of my personal issues about the typography in the menus (which is sadly a step backwards from the previous) it does at least make sense to offer several text sizes for the guide and info bar.

The current menu isn't so old, but the current menu wasn't really any big step up from the old menu to begin with.  All in all, when all the blathering about the 'great, wonderful, new HDGUI' was going on, it was just a very minor step up from what we've seen for years.

After using a Hopper, it was a huge disappointment to come back to the very old, outdated years ago, menuing that D* insists on using for whatever reason.  The Genie with the new name and all the advertising could and should have been the way to introduce to the D* subscribers something really new and highly desirable, yet they just let that boat sail!  :(

Lloyd

#30 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,946 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:40 AM

there are a few times where I had the need of more than 5 tuners and yesterday was one of then, I needed 7 tuners. So I had to fall back on one of my dual tuners HDDVRs for the rest of the recordings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#31 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:48 AM

there are a few times where I had the need of more than 5 tuners and yesterday was one of then, I needed 7 tuners. So I had to fall back on one of my dual tuners HDDVRs for the rest of the recordings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can fully understand that.  With the incessant reruns on all but the broadcast channels, as long as you watch delayed/time-shifted, there is seldom an occurence of needing more than that for me.

Lloyd

#32 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,156 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:50 AM

I'm sorry but recording 8 shows at once just sounds ridiculous. I mean what % of consumers would actually take advantage of all that. Not many. 

I agree.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#33 OFFLINE   Curtis0620

Curtis0620

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:43 AM

I don't use a DVR for the GUI, I use it to record what I want, when I want.  So the most important thing is the number of tuners. I don't care if the menu looks pretty.

• EricRobins, Rich, jeffgbailey and 2 others like this
HR34-700
HR24-200
HR24-200

#34 OFFLINE   WB4CS

WB4CS

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, AL

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:44 AM

I don't use a DVR for the GUI, I use it to record what I want, when I want.  So the most important thing is the number of tuners. I don't care if the menu looks pretty.

I have to agree with this one. Who cares if the menu isn't pretty or super-duper animated? So what? When I'm watching TV, I'm watching the TV Program, I don't spend hours looking at my DVR menu. 

In fact, I'd prefer a simple, text only guide and menu system. I don't need animated menus and a super graphical display just to browse through the guide data. 

• EricRobins likes this

#35 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:04 PM

I want both, and there is no technical reason that you can't.

Lloyd

#36 OFFLINE   Riverpilot

Riverpilot

AllStar

• Registered
  • 108 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:19 PM

Yes, but he said 8 record plus both have a live channel..   ;)

Yep, perhaps I should have made myself a bit clearer. :)

Please Directv... 2 genies :) For those who don't need that many? Great. For those who want 2 genies, like myself? Bring it on! :)

#37 ONLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,774 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:46 PM

Yes, but he said 8 record plus both have a live channel.. ;)

Yep, perhaps I should have made myself a bit clearer. :)

Please Directv... 2 genies :) For those who don't need that many? Great. For those who want 2 genies, like myself? Bring it on! :)

Oops sorry about that, I misread it. :)

Two Genies would be nice, but I'm getting by with 8 tuners now (5+2+1).

Edited by TheRatPatrol, 14 March 2014 - 12:47 PM.

#38 OFFLINE   jeffgbailey

jeffgbailey

Legend

• Registered
  • 206 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 01:49 PM

maxing out the 5 tuners is easy if you like sports....got that issue tonight and I even have to drop the 1 min early on one program to fit everything in (2 network shows back to back on different nets, 1 cable show, 3 sports events) so issue is I cant watch anything else (only have Genie)

#39 OFFLINE   zeus

zeus

Legend

• Registered
  • 144 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 04:45 PM

I wouldn't be as concerned with recording 8 shows as I am with available tuners.  I would run into conflicts on a regular basis if I was limited to PTAT, and four open tuners.  There is more math involved, such as a user on Sling and other TVs tuned to live programming.  For me, a Genie, 4 HR24s and 2 H25s leaves me with 13 recordings, 2 live and an open port on the SWM 16.  That is hard to max out in real life.

And a nightmare to manage. Just two HR24s gave me headaches going room to room while trying to plot out my recording strategy based on who was going to be where at what time.

It's more than looks. The latest E* GUI is just more functional.  It's faster and shows more programming at once which makes it much easier to get an overview of available programming. My biggest pet peeve with D* has always been the limited hours in the guide (although the dated look doesn't help matters).

#40 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,133 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 14 March 2014 - 06:54 PM

Dish annouced an 8 tuner dvr.  Wheres Direct tvs?!

More of a marketing ploy than a tech advance.

I rather have two Genies.

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

Protected By... spam firewall...And...