Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Is direct tv falling behind?

• Please log in to reply
266 replies to this topic

#151 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,387 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 11:23 AM

Have you ever had the "undelete" feature? I didn't think I would ever use but there were times when I wanted to go back and check something in a show that I had deleted.

Never found a reason to use it.

I have it in some software...and also never use it.

DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#152 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,387 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 11:25 AM

My own druthers is for full IP control.... and I view an accidental deletion as an act of God...it was going to be a waste of time to view the program that was deleted.... well, maybe not a full belief, but it takes the sting out when you say, NOOOoooooo! I wanted to see that.....   :)

Agree with all of that...  :up:

DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#153 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationLower Westchester County, NY

Posted 21 March 2014 - 11:41 AM

Undelete is for those who aren't paying attention...but I supposed it addresses taking care of those asleep at the wheel.  :listening

Never found a reason to use it.

I have it in some software...and also never use it.

So you've never restored anything from the Windows recycle bin?

/steve

#154 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,214 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 11:46 AM

One person's view will not change overall general usefulness. UNDELETE is a helpful feature, whether it's to restore a recording that has been accidentally deleted, or to go back to a recording that you want to show to a family member that you may have deleted (of which I've had several occasions). Somewhat proven out by it also being at the top of the wishlist forever. Same with remote DVR management, it's almost a given requirement for any provider these days with the move to mobile and cloud. Not much need for debate, just add it. Same with short cuts to manage a huge unified playlist, a given that progress is needed. Invest in multiple >2 tuner DVR support as well, a must for any high-end A/V aficionado. Throw in an optional high-end keyboard remote control as well, I never knew how useful that could be, I now use the Roamio Slider keyboard remote almost everyday as I search for stuff, it takes a split second, slide open, hit search button, type, done, I'm not much into talking into my iPhone to search. I can find a show in a split second with the keyboard remote. All these things are keys to innovation and progress, and stickiness, to keep people to love your platform.
DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#155 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,945 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:12 PM

Have you ever had the "undelete" feature? I didn't think I would ever use but there were times when I wanted to go back and check something in a show that I had deleted.

I have had it on Tivo for years and have it on Fios. I think I used it once in about ten years of having it. Maybe wished I had it one other time when I didn't. Today, it is too easy to get things you deleted by other means (on demand, internet streaming, not to mention "other other" methods).

Personally, I don't care if it is there or not. (I almost always cleanout my recycling bin on Windows).

Edited by tonyd79, 21 March 2014 - 12:13 PM.

LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#156 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,214 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:23 PM

And with the move to larger and more shared DVR environments, the general usefulness of UNDELETE may actually expand, as one family member may now watch a recording from another room and possibly delete it while another family member may later want to watch the same recording. And yep, it may also now not be as big an issue with on-demand growing, but I guess it all depends on the family situation.

I tend to not share as much these days, with three six-tuner DVR's dedicated to family members, but again I've had several occasions where we'll mention a show that I deleted, but then later want to show my wife, and it's just a simple undelete. It's usually for a nightly talk show of which I record all six, but only keep the last 5 episodes (the past week) of each. That actually reminds me, UNDELETE helps also when you keep say the last 5 episodes of Late Show or something and want to go back and find an old one. Our Roamio's tend to only be about 1TB used (150-200 HD hours), thus there's another 1-2TB (250-300 HD hours) to act as an undelete buffer for all the old deleted stuff.
DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#157 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:47 PM

+1

No reason they shouldn't enable a recycle bin, IMHO. It will have 0 impact on storage.

TiVo probably knows more about how DVRs are used than any company on the planet. They didn't offer "recently deleted" for 7 years, but have had it since 2006.

They offered it because Tivo users are like MAC users.....

#158 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:49 PM

So you've never restored anything from the Windows recycle bin?

I use shift-DELETE, bypasses the recycle bin and gets immediately deleted......

#159 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,783 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:54 PM

I have had it on Tivo for years and have it on Fios. I think I used it once in about ten years of having it. Maybe wished I had it one other time when I didn't. Today, it is too easy to get things you deleted by other means (on demand, internet streaming, not to mention "other other" methods).

Personally, I don't care if it is there or not. (I almost always cleanout my recycling bin on Windows).

The point is it has no impact on storage, so for the extremely rare times you might need it, why not have it? And as Sixto coorectly points out, in an MRV, multi-user household, the odds of someone deleting something someone else may want to see are a bit higher.

/steve

#160 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 17,405 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:12 PM

The feature I want that Dish Hoppers have is, a way to retrieve deleted recordings through deleted folder, and for god sakes please remove that delete confirmation message after a recording has concluded, and just bring me back to live TV.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

That's the way I delete almost everything I watch. And I'll bet that's true for most people.

Yes on the first thought though.

#161 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,783 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:14 PM

This conversation reminded me that even DOS had a recycle bin. :P

http://www.computerh...om/undelete.htm

/steve

#162 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 17,405 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:15 PM

My own druthers is for full IP control.... and I view an accidental deletion as an act of God...it was going to be a waste of time to view the program that was deleted.... well, maybe not a full belief, but it takes the sting out when you say, NOOOoooooo! I wanted to see that..... :)

Not if you deleted it by habit before the wife saw it. Then it's the devil made me do it!!!! :lol:

#163 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 17,405 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:18 PM

Yeah there's zero harm in having a deleted folder like TiVo.

And the bigger the family the more useful something like that can be. For a single person less useful I'd suggest.

#164 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,558 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:18 PM

PC comparisons made not be valid. PCs tend to be more personal in nature. DVRs with whole home may be used by 4 or more folks. So Delete on a DVR probably has a higher liklihood of accidental misuse.

Even my phone's voice mail has it so why not on shared DVRs?

#165 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,251 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:05 PM

well, as I recall, after digging into the dish myth I found the actual change was in Quota management ... no protection at all because all recordings done into one partition... it's in old posts here

Might as well use DISH's terms for DISH's feature. Whether the protection is done by physical partitions or quotas it is still a "protected portion of the HDD". Or protected space - or protected section. Whatever term works.

It being a quota certainly made it easier to change when they decided to move PTAT into the customer's space and not reserve space on receivers that may or may not have PTAT enabled - or fully enabled.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#166 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,251 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:12 PM

I use shift-DELETE, bypasses the recycle bin and gets immediately deleted......

Wouldn't it be easier just to disable the recycle bin?

As for the feature on the receiver ... it comes at no noticeable cost. A menu selection for "deleted recordings" and the "deleted recordings" folder are the only way anyone knows that their content isn't gone gone like it was without the feature. What harm does having undelete do to someone who doesn't want it? Would it simply annoy that user that they got a feature they didn't want?

(And yes, an "Empty Folder" option is nice for those who do want something to be gone gone - perhaps something they don't want others to see in the deleted folder.)

For those who want undelete there is some harm. I would not want to lose the feature.
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#167 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,748 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 21 March 2014 - 04:21 PM

Is that a dig or complement?? :)

And if you mean the superlative computer, it's Mac.

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#168 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,280 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:13 PM

Might as well use DISH's terms for DISH's feature. Whether the protection is done by physical partitions or quotas it is still a "protected portion of the HDD". Or protected space - or protected section. Whatever term works.

It being a quota certainly made it easier to change when they decided to move PTAT into the customer's space and not reserve space on receivers that may or may not have PTAT enabled - or fully enabled.

there is no protection per se;

that's why I corrected you by bringing a mechanism of allocation space for different types of recordings inside of one physical partition without "protected" flag

also no such "user space vs PTAT space"  exist on the drives

you are grasping a 'straw' by continue rephrasing incorrect statement

#169 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,251 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:28 PM

also no such "user space vs PTAT space"  exist on the drives

Yes there is (although as stated, PTAT is now in the user space, separate from the reserved VOD space).
It is done by quota. Now let the DirecTV folks get back to discussing what they like or don't like about their receivers. :)

#170 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,507 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 21 March 2014 - 06:00 PM

+1 on "undelete".

-1 on "keep/delete". 9 times out of 10, after watching a recording we're done with it, so why not delete it ASAP?

Plus - How much file space are you willing to give up for undelete storage?

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Bsm: HR24-1, Den HR24-2, MB: HR24-5, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#171 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,514 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 21 March 2014 - 06:04 PM

Plus - How much file space are you willing to give up for undelete storage?

undelete has no negative effect on storage 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#172 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,000 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland, Pa

Posted 21 March 2014 - 06:14 PM

Only in the Directv forums do the Directv fans unwelcome petential features. If people want autotune and undelete features who cares? Maybe some people don't want game search or Directv apps or a Genie telling me what I might like to watch.
Unreal!

We have a guide.
I've never had a hard time finding any of MLB games or NFL games or forgot what show I like to watch on tv that the Genie had to show me.
All this stuff just slows down the receivers function , with the constant loading in the backround.

Autotune and Undelete I doubt would effect the receiver in anyway.

And if thats what people want, then so be it!

Edited by damondlt, 21 March 2014 - 06:24 PM.

Blue Ridge Communticatons

Digital HD Basic Plus, Cinemax,Showtime/TMC,Starz /Encore
Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 Inch

Tivo Mini Livingroom Vizio M602i-B3 60 Inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2  LG 26LE5300 26 Inch
Tivo Mini Bedroom 3  Element ELEFW328 32 Inch
Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4  Magnavox 32 inch

Arris Touchstone DG1660

Dream 60 Mbps down 3 Mbps up.

#173 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 22,783 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 06:30 PM

undelete has no negative effect on storage

:up:
/steve

#174 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,514 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 21 March 2014 - 06:32 PM

Only in the Directv forums do the Directv fans unwelcome petential features. 

Perhaps because these same folks want these "features" as a way to minimize their shortcomings of not knowing how to use the system.

Auto-tune on a DVR?  Why, why?????????

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#175 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,000 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland, Pa

Posted 21 March 2014 - 06:41 PM

Perhaps because these same folks want these "features" as a way to minimize their shortcomings of not knowing how to use the system.

Auto-tune on a DVR?  Why, why?????????

Because its a request and what does it hurt?

Blue Ridge Communticatons

Digital HD Basic Plus, Cinemax,Showtime/TMC,Starz /Encore
Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 Inch

Tivo Mini Livingroom Vizio M602i-B3 60 Inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2  LG 26LE5300 26 Inch
Tivo Mini Bedroom 3  Element ELEFW328 32 Inch
Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4  Magnavox 32 inch

Arris Touchstone DG1660

Dream 60 Mbps down 3 Mbps up.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...