Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Is direct tv falling behind?

• Please log in to reply
266 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,418 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:10 AM

DirecTV has domestic-based engineering staff that executes various hardware/lab testing regularly. Those resources also have DirecTV hardware available for home use and testing as well.

Your statement reminds me of the very similar claim that DIRECTV CSRs are all US-based. Five will get you ten that they borrow some stuff from NDS once in a while at the very least.

I'm betting that it wasn't an engineer or a marketroid that conceived of the boolean search feature.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#122 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,439 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:01 AM

I can't believe that this thread is getting so much attention.  I guess constant repetition lures people in?  I'm gone.

Rich 

#123 ONLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,297 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:19 PM

No you don't.  You can use PTAT which will record all 4 broadcast channels using one tuner OR you can choose to just record the one channel.

You do not need to use PTAT to record more than one channel. Any time a Hopper user is recording one of the four PTAT channel the other three channels are available to record or watch (24/7). For example, right now I happen to be recording something from my local Fox affiliate - If I look at the TV activity screen that shows tuner status it shows the tuner I am actually watching, an available tuner, and the four major networks on tuner 3.

If the four major networks are popular in your home having those four channels available is handy. As usual, each person has their own viewing preferences.
Welcome to DBS Talk - Let's talk about DBS! (The Digital Bit Stream)
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#124 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,970 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:47 PM

Why doesn't Dish extend the PTAT stuff to other channels? If they put ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU on the same transponder, having them able to record/watch with a single tuner would be very useful to sports fans.

If Directv had this, putting the NFLST channels across two transponders would allow them all to be watched/recorded with only two tuners. It seems very wasteful and limiting to have that only available for the four major networks, since every year the ratings show that fewer and fewer people watch any one of those networks during prime time, let alone want to watch/record more than one at once.

Edited by slice1900, 18 March 2014 - 08:48 PM.

• damondlt likes this

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#125 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,418 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:31 AM

Why doesn't Dish extend the PTAT stuff to other channels? If they put ESPN/ESPN2/ESPNU on the same transponder, having them able to record/watch with a single tuner would be very useful to sports fans.

ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU are in different programming packages (or not available at all as they may be on DIRECTV as well) whereas the big four, where available, are part of all programming packages. It would be messy to explain to someone why they couldn't avail themselves of a feature because they didn't subscribe to a comprehensive enough programming package.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#126 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,704 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:47 AM

ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU are in different programming packages (or not available at all as they may be on DIRECTV as well) whereas the big four, where available, are part of all programming packages. It would be messy to explain to someone why they couldn't avail themselves of a feature because they didn't subscribe to a comprehensive enough programming package.

Because the programmers aren't smart enough to just put up a message when you tried to watch a recording of a channel you don't get that you need to subscribe to watch the programming?

LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#127 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,343 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:09 AM

Because the programmers aren't smart enough to just put up a message when you tried to watch a recording of a channel you don't get that you need to subscribe to watch the programming?

DirecTV did change the way the receiver bahaves when one tunes to a channel that is not on our packages.  It used to be that we would get a "banner" at the bottom of the screen with 721 "channel not subscribed" now there is a "nice" full screen display indicating what is really going on and the way to subscribe to that channel 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#128 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,970 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:07 PM

I was giving that as an example. What I'm saying is that since Dish has this capability, why not extend to it to any channels that share the same transponder? They'll have plenty of data about what people tend to record/watch at the same time, so they could even adjust transponder placing to maximize the usefulness of the feature (which ESPN was intended as an example for)

Having it only work for certain locals is rather limiting, and becomes less useful every year since fewer people watch network programming (let alone two things at once) Additionally, networks have followed cable's lead by repeating some shows later in the week, either on the same network or on a cable network.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#129 OFFLINE   Curtis0620

Curtis0620

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,459 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:37 PM

Or just give me enough tuners to pick what I want.

HR34-700
HR24-200
HR24-200

#130 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,662 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 02:49 PM

Here in NY's Westchester County, my son just moved into a building where his only option was Cablevision. He signed up for their "multiroom DVR" service. He can record up to 10 shows at once and they're stored in the cloud, on Cablevision's servers. The clients are diskless Samsung boxes, but they allow you to pause LIVE TV for up to 15 minutes.

I haven't tried it yet, but one downside is they currently cap him at 75 hours of HD storage. That's up from 25 hours when they first rolled it out. Hopefully they will continue to increase the storage, or allow a customer to pay for more storage at some point in the future.

They charge $12/month for multiroom DVR and $7/month for each HD client box with remote. That's about the same that DIRECTV charges for a Genie and 3 clients, when you add in the DIRECTV HD and DVR charges.

/steve

#131 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,704 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 March 2014 - 03:07 PM

Here in NY's Westchester County, my son just moved into a building where his only option was Cablevision. He signed up for their "multiroom DVR" service. He can record up to 10 shows at once and they're stored in the cloud, on Cablevision's servers. The clients are diskless Samsung boxes, but they allow you to pause LIVE TV for up to 15 minutes.

I haven't tried it yet, but one downside is they currently cap him at 75 hours of HD storage. That's up from 25 hours when they first rolled it out. Hopefully they will continue to increase the storage, or allow a customer to pay for more storage at some point in the future.

They charge $12/month for multiroom DVR and $7/month for each HD client box with remote. That's about the same that DIRECTV charges for a Genie and 3 clients, when you add in the DIRECTV HD and DVR charges.

How is the responsiveness? On Demand I have seen from cable companies (and used) is slow to respond.

LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#132 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,662 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 03:12 PM

How is the responsiveness? On Demand I have seen from cable companies (and used) is slow to respond.

I haven't tried it yet, but my son claims it's laggier than he's used to with his former FiOS DVR service, but not terrible.

/steve

#133 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,704 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 March 2014 - 03:22 PM

I haven't tried it yet, but my son claims it's laggier than he's used to with his former FiOS DVR service, but not terrible.

It will be interesting to see if that gets better with adjustments or worse as more people jump on the service. fios does have pretty responsive trickplay.

#134 ONLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,297 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 03:40 PM

I was giving that as an example. What I'm saying is that since Dish has this capability, why not extend to it to any channels that share the same transponder?

It would be an interesting piece of programming to be able to make sure that multiple streams on multiple transponders did not conflict. For example, if USA and ESPN was on the same transponder and USA was being recorded a user wanting to watch ESPN could theoretically use the same tuner connected to that transponder. But if that user wanted to change channels they could not since it would interfere with the recording. Protections would need to be built in to make sure that changing transponders on that tuner was not going to cause a conflict.

It is a lot easier to keep the logic straight with four channels than whatever 8 or 9 channels happen to be on a transponder tuned.

Having it only work for certain locals is rather limiting, and becomes less useful every year since fewer people watch network programming (let alone two things at once) Additionally, networks have followed cable's lead by repeating some shows later in the week, either on the same network or on a cable network.

The most popular show on cable last week had 12.865 million viewers ... number two was 5.415 million (the aftershow for the most popular show). ESPN had the 24th most popular cable show, Fox Sports 1 had the 22nd most popular cable show. Five of the top 25 cable shows were SpongeBob (#10, 11, 14, 15 and 18).

12.865 million on broadcast would have been the fourth most popular show. Number two would not have made the top 25 (#25 broadcast was 8.222 million viewers). BTW: Viewers on both lists includes live and second day viewers.

Broadcast network shows remain the most popular ... and most worthwhile to create a feature to capture simultaneously. While broadcast has rerun programs later the same week the cable trend of immediate repeats or three hours later makes it a lot easier to reschedule for conflicts.
DISH Network vs DirecTV: HD Channel List - DISH Network HD Capacity, HD Conversion and more.
DISH Network complete channel lists and lists by satellite location are in The Uplink Activity Center.
Unless otherwise noted, I speak for myself. Content is not controlled by DISH Network, DirecTV or any other company.

#135 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,662 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 04:24 PM

It will be interesting to see if that gets better with adjustments or worse as more people jump on the service. fios does have pretty responsive trickplay.

Hopefully Cablevision can add servers as needed, if that becomes the bottleneck. Their internet provisioning has gotten a lot better since my last go-round with them 3+ years ago. I switched from two years of FiOS internet back to Cablevision 18 months ago for price reasons, and the quality of service seems to be identical. No outages either, at least that I'm aware of. Knock on wood.

/steve

#136 OFFLINE   Racer88

Racer88

Icon

• Registered
  • 802 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 04:43 PM

ummm....You can record all 4 broadcast networks on one tuner 24/7/365, not "just" during primetime...

#137 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,348 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 20 March 2014 - 06:49 PM

You can record all 4 broadcast networks on one tuner 24/7/365, not "just" during primetime...

Lots of luck: How are rolloffs handled when the HDD nears capacity? 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#138 OFFLINE   Riverpilot

Riverpilot

AllStar

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 07:26 PM

Does that count against internet useage data, or separate? Sounds like it doesn't use internet, but never know. :)

#139 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,662 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 07:34 PM

Does that count against internet useage data, or separate? Sounds like it doesn't use internet, but never know. :)

Cablevision has no usage caps, but I'm not sure if watching a recorded show reduces his household download capacity. Will have to check that when I finally get a chance to play with it. I believe he has 50/25 service, so even if it does, there is plenty of download bandwidth available.
/steve

#140 ONLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,297 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:18 AM

Lots of luck: How are rolloffs handled when the HDD nears capacity?

The oldest unprotected content on the HDD is deleted. Just like with any other timer recording. The ability to record multiple channels from the same tuner does not affect how HDD space is managed.

The separate but related PTAT feature that records up to four channels every evening up to seven days per week and saves all content on the chosen channel for up to 8 days (user configurable on which of the four channels, which of the seven days and how many days are saved) rolls off the oldest content to record the new. Originally PTAT was recorded to a protected portion of the HDD that could not be used for other programs but DISH moved that to the customer portion of the drive so people who did not want all four channels for all seven days saved for eight days could use that space for other programming.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...