Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Guide issues raise a multitude of questions

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   alig2

alig2

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 09:57 AM

Hi Guys, been lurking for years and can usually find anything by searching. this one seems a little different.

Equipment:

HR20 HDMI to 1 tv (den)

HR24 HDMI to splitter to 2 tvs (bedroom, exercise room), composite (sd) to splitter to 2 tvs (bathroom, screen room)

H20 HDMI to splitter to 2 tvs (both office)

H20 HDMI to 1 tv (living room), component to 1 tv (kitchen)

Been having guide issues this winter, thought it was just the weather at first (living in Chicago), now that the weather is better they still persist.

HR20, guide is ok, except premium channels and the newer HD channels only have data for a couple of days.

HR24, usually only a few channels have guide data, reset and purge brings back a few hours but nothing else is ever populated

H20's fall somewhere in between, sometimes good guides, sometimes partial or none.

Setup tests on all show 103 even missing

All other signal strengths are 90's and up

Guide tests on the DVRs show 119 misconfigured

CSR say dish is misaligned.

I am a little skeptical, seems like more of an LNB issue, since signal strengths are good.

The oddity is how each receiver seems to respond diferently to the problem, maybe how the software handles it?

Either way a service call is needed, and of course it was suggested that I upgrade to a Genie.

Don't have a problem with this as the HR20 is getting old anyway, but it opens up more considerations.

Simpliest is to just replace the HR20 and leave everything else alone, WHDVR will give the H20's access to either DVR, and the HR24 access to the Genie, which is all I need. (would also need an AM-21 to get back my OTA)

My only concern is the HR24 seems to have the most guide issues, so does it have seperate problem?  Would be nice to settle everything with only 1 visit.

The HR24 is outputing both HD and SD simultaneously, which I believe the Genie client does not support, so changing to clients would require other rewiring and hardware.

One of the H20's puts out component while the HDMi is not connected, not clear if this works with a clent.

Any thoughts?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,405 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 15 March 2014 - 11:50 AM

the H20 would have to go as they are not WHDVR compatible. the Genie behaves the same way as the HR24 as far as the HD GUI is concerned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,621 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 15 March 2014 - 12:22 PM

Genie clients have component output with a special adapter.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#4 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,558 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 15 March 2014 - 02:23 PM

If you can post your signal strengths (just a pic of each screen is fine so you don't have to do all that typing) for 101, 119, 99c, 103ca, and 103cb I'm sure someone here can figure out what is going on.

It could be a LNB, but it might be a misalignment, especially since guide data comes from 119 when you're tuned to a channel on 103 or 119. A tilted dish that had problems with 119 could account for your varying amounts of guide info, and there are other potential issues that could affect both 103/119.

It would also be helpful to know if you have a SWM or legacy system.

Edited by slice1900, 15 March 2014 - 02:27 PM.

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#5 OFFLINE   BrucePadgett

BrucePadgett

AllStar

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 05:38 PM

Interesting. My H20 would give me a full 7 days of programming data when I only had a SD dish. Upon upgrading to a HD dish, I can barely get 3 days of complete programming. DirecTV's techs have made umpteenth suggestions, but none alleviate the problem.

Hmmm.

#6 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,144 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 06:29 PM

My bet is that there is a wb68 multiswitch and the problem is faulty cable/connector on the cable connected to the multiswitch connector marked 103/110/119 18v. This cable carries the even transponders for 119 and 103. If you swap thetwo cables on the 103/110/119 connectors the problem will probably move to the odd transponders.

#7 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,558 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 16 March 2014 - 09:02 PM

Interesting. My H20 would give me a full 7 days of programming data when I only had a SD dish. Upon upgrading to a HD dish, I can barely get 3 days of complete programming. DirecTV's techs have made umpteenth suggestions, but none alleviate the problem.

Hmmm.

I've never looked on mine to see how far ahead the guide goes. I'll make a note to check and let you know - it could be a limitation of the H20 (not enough memory to store all 7 days when the HD channels are included perhaps?)

Edited by slice1900, 16 March 2014 - 09:03 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,558 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 17 March 2014 - 11:45 PM

I checked earlier today and the guide on my H20s only goes out about 3 days, but is 7 days on a H24. So I'm pretty sure that's just a hardware limitation of the H20 and nothing to be concerned about.

If it is a problem for you, you might want to pursue having Directv replace/upgrade the H20 with something newer.

Edited by slice1900, 17 March 2014 - 11:45 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...