Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECT TV two accounts/same address

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Rjw615

Rjw615

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 15 March 2014 - 12:48 PM

Okay, my question is how Direct TV can bill two accounts at the same address when there is only one receiver, one access card for the receiver and only one dish.

Backstory: ex-wife and I split back in 2011, I didn't realize or forgotten that Direct TV was in my name, she continues to pay the bill under my name until October of 2013, at that time she somehow got an account at the same address with the same receiver from my account and quit paying the bill addressed to me and just paid hers, I received a collections notice from direct tv today for two months of unpaid bills, how can they charge service under two accounts using the same receiver at the same address?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 12:53 PM

Call DirecTV and explain.

I've had similar (but not your exact) customer issues over the years, sorry for your difficulties there.  The more info you have, receiver RIDS and access numbers, service dates, history, etc.  the better.  

In general, it seems to me DirecTV would prefer not to be 'in the middle' of such matters, but every situation goes differently.

#3 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,521 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 15 March 2014 - 12:57 PM

are you sure she got a new account ? that would seem very unlikely since new accounts must start with a leased receiver

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#4 OFFLINE   Rjw615

Rjw615

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 15 March 2014 - 12:58 PM

I have called them, they don't care about civil matters which I understand but they just tell me it's possible to have two direct tv accounts at the same address which i know it's possible but did not think it was possible two have two direct tv accounts on one receiver.

#5 OFFLINE   Rjw615

Rjw615

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:03 PM

are you sure she got a new account ? that would seem very unlikely since new accounts must start with a leased receiver

I am pretty sure however Direct won't tell me anything regarding her account, I don't know what would have happened to the receiver on my account if she got a new one. She def has a new account at that address though that direct tv is billing me for.

#6 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:12 PM

FWIW, I've been billed by DirecTV for a not returning a receiver that was still active on my account.   (I have a DISH customer experience the exact same thing too)

To me, it would be entirely possible for DirecTV to be billing 2 (or more) accounts for use of the same receiver. What would be their motivation for having a billing system that would prevent such situations ??

#7 OFFLINE   Rjw615

Rjw615

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:23 PM

FWIW, I've been billed by DirecTV for a not returning a receiver that was still active on my account. (I have a DISH customer experience the exact same thing too)

To me, it would be entirely possible for DirecTV to be billing 2 (or more) accounts for use of the same receiver. What would be their motivation for having a billing system that would prevent such situations ??

You make a good point just was wondering the legality of it, how do they know which services they are providing to that receiver, let's say I have the premium package and the second account just has a basic package?

#8 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:30 PM

This is just me but I would call up and have the account cancel and let the sh*t hit the fan. :)

#9 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,244 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:34 PM

Is the two months of unpaid bills overlapping her new account or is it during a period before she started a new account? 

If overlapping (and using the same equipment), I think there is a problem with billing.

If she stopped paying (while still using the equipment you left) and then started her own account with that equipment, I think you probably are on the hook.  And just to get any potential credit problems resolved, I'd pay it.

#10 OFFLINE   Rjw615

Rjw615

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:49 PM

Is the two months of unpaid bills overlapping her new account or is it during a period before she started a new account?

If overlapping (and using the same equipment), I think there is a problem with billing.

If she stopped paying (while still using the equipment you left) and then started her own account with that equipment, I think you probably are on the hook. And just to get any potential credit problems resolved, I'd pay it.

They are overlapping, meaning you started a new account in 10/13, at the time she only paid the billed on her account after that date, I am being billed for 10/13-12/13, then they disconnected service on my account bc the bill wasn't paid.

#11 OFFLINE   Rjw615

Rjw615

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:51 PM

This is just me but I would call up and have the account cancel and let the sh*t hit the fan. :)

Which account? Mine is already cancelled.

#12 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 02:00 PM

Which account? Mine is already cancelled.

Misread original post. In this case I would pay the two months and charge it to experience and cost of divorce. The cost of fighting the charges most likely would not be worth it.

#13 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 370 posts
  • LocationDover, PA

Posted 15 March 2014 - 05:09 PM

FWIW, giving the situation and knowing the account was in my name, i would not have left the house without my equipment. If she wanted Directv let her call and get her own equipment/account after you have canceled/moved yours.

If i read this right they are charging the same reciever with 2 subscriptions? sound like there double dipping but, i agree with whats posted above its probably not worth it to hash it out with Directv. I would also just pay it but, make sure the lawyer is well aware of it so it come up in court.

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#14 OFFLINE   Rjw615

Rjw615

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 15 March 2014 - 05:31 PM

FWIW, giving the situation and knowing the account was in my name, i would not have left the house without my equipment. If she wanted Directv let her call and get her own equipment/account after you have canceled/moved yours.

If i read this right they are charging the same reciever with 2 subscriptions? sound like there double dipping but, i agree with whats posted above its probably not worth it to hash it out with Directv. I would also just pay it but, make sure the lawyer is well aware of it so it come up in court.

Yeah, in the end, it's on me. Double dipping is exactly what they were doing. I had gotten everything else out of my name, didn't realize Direct TV was in my name, I mean we have been split for three years now and she has paid it every month under my name until 10/13 when she got the new account. I think she wanted her own account, couldn't cancel mine and instead of just shooting me a text to cancel which I would have gladly done, she let the account go into default.

#15 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,834 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 15 March 2014 - 05:38 PM

Yeah, in the end, it's on me. Double dipping is exactly what they were doing. I had gotten everything else out of my name, didn't realize Direct TV was in my name, I mean we have been split for three years now and she has paid it every month under my name until 10/13 when she got the new account. I think she wanted her own account, couldn't cancel mine and instead of just shooting me a text to cancel which I would have gladly done, she let the account go into default.

Just wanted to say it's good to see someone own up to an issue. It can be rare around here.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#16 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,736 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 07:48 PM

You make a good point just was wondering the legality of it, how do they know which services they are providing to that receiver, let's say I have the premium package and the second account just has a basic package?

If she got her own new equipment, then there is no issue legally wise.  There is no issue with having two accounts with different receivers that the same house, even if they use the same cabling and dish.

#17 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,736 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 07:53 PM

She sounds like the real problem since she didn't just tell you.  She had to know it would come back to bite you and just felt she wanted to screw you.  Thats just rude and spiteful IMHO to not tell some one, hey ive been paying the bill but its in your name, lets fix this.

The only thing Id suggest is emailing the office of the president (link can be found by following the tips link in my sig) and seeing if they will help in some way, maybe at least getting the collectors gone fast, pay the two months maybe and call ti even.  Who knows. Just explain it all in detail.   But if they see a start date there for your x's account,t hey might even wipe it out. Or at least wave late fees, etc.

• Rjw615 likes this

#18 OFFLINE   Rjw615

Rjw615

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:13 PM

She sounds like the real problem since she didn't just tell you. She had to know it would come back to bite you and just felt she wanted to screw you. Thats just rude and spiteful IMHO to not tell some one, hey ive been paying the bill but its in your name, lets fix this.

The only thing Id suggest is emailing the office of the president (link can be found by following the tips link in my sig) and seeing if they will help in some way, maybe at least getting the collectors gone fast, pay the two months maybe and call ti even. Who knows. Just explain it all in detail. But if they see a start date there for your x's account,t hey might even wipe it out. Or at least wave late fees, etc.

Thanks everyone for all your advice, I really appreciate it. Thank you for providing me the link, I will definitely email and see if they can help out at all.

#19 OFFLINE   Rjw615

Rjw615

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:08 PM

Update:

Thanks to inkahauts suggestion of contacting the customer care president, I received a call from Direct TV and explained the situation just like I did on here and got the following email:

This email is being provided as promised during our conversation on 03/16/14 in regard to DIRECTV account #458xxxxxx.

I have reversed all the charges on your account to bring it to a zero balance. If the account has been assigned to a collection agency, the agency has been notified to remove your account from collection activity, cease actions and clear up any negative reports to your credit history. Please allow 6-8 weeks for the collection agency to update their records and notify the credit bureaus of this change. Credit bureaus may take longer to reflect changes to your credit reporting information.

Please know, it was a pleasure working with you to resolve your concerns. I hope I was able to improve your overall DIRECTV experience. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to let me know and I will be more than happy to assist.

I have personally checked the account balance and it does show the balance as 0.00, the 214 was reserved.

#20 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,736 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:20 PM

If they did that that quickly it makes me wonder if they did transfer the equipment to her account. Otherwise they'd have likely asked for it back unless it was very old.

Glad it worked out for you.

spam firewall