Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

GenieGO 2 First Look

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   rd76

rd76

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:46 PM

Issues with the Genie Go is when you want to watch a live broadcast.  You first have to open the scheduler app and start to record the live event.   Then wait about 3 minutes for the recording to show up in the playlist of the Genie Go.   I wish they would combine the scheduler in the same app as Genie go .   Now compared to a Slingbox it's not as good.  I run the sling and Genie Go.  The Slingbox allows you to watch everything live and in HD quality.  The Genie Go runs at a slower bandwidth and it's picture quality is about average.  The biggest advantage on Genie go is to download a recorded event while on wifi to your ipad so you can watch it later.  This has a 30 day limitation then it erases.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,683 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:59 PM

You first have to open the scheduler app and start to record the live event.   Then wait about 3 minutes for the recording to show up in the playlist of the Genie Go.   I wish they would combine the scheduler in the same app as Genie go .   

Is already combined on the iPad at least.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#43 OFFLINE   Groundhog45

Groundhog45

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,112 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, Texas

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:19 PM

Any chance they are going to fix the Geniego app to work with more tablets and devices?

It still does not work with the Galaxy Tab. The list of "approved" android devices is quite short.

I used a Galaxy Note 10.1 during the trial.  The app would not run until another tester told me that he had to disable developer options on his Android device.  After I did that, it worked perfectly.  You might try that.

Richard -- DirecTV since '97
Team SETI.USA

#44 OFFLINE   LDighera

LDighera

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 06:18 AM

I'm biting the bullet and going with genie as my HR-700's appear to becoming unstable (experience tells me i'm about to lose one of them); been with Directv since 96 so this will be no cost to me. Everything I watch is recorded except a few live sports events..

Be prepared to sign another two year contract!

While theoretically television may be feasible, commercially and financially I consider it an impossibility, a development of which we need waste little time dreaming.
--Lee de Forest, 1926

#45 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,310 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 03 April 2014 - 06:22 AM

Be prepared to sign another two year contract!

I suspect someone who has been a customer for 18 years isn't going to have an issue with a two year contract.

Of course if he is discussing a Genie, this isn't the appropriate thread. If he is discussing a GenieGo 2, then there is no two year commitment.

Edited by trh, 03 April 2014 - 06:25 AM.

#46 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 06:56 AM

Shot in the dark, and I assume the answer is no, but: Does it bridge the Ethernet and SWiM connections? IE: could one use this as both a CCK and a Genie Go?

If not, that is a missed opportunity. 

Yes, it does act as a CCK.  :)

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#47 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,868 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:07 AM

There's some question about that, actually. It may eventually have that role but it's not functioning that way now.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#48 OFFLINE   dazed&confuzed

dazed&confuzed

AllStar

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:14 AM

Which Galaxy Tab? I tried the original product with the original Tab 10.1 running OS 3.2 and it worked fine. But that was months ago.

Galaxy Tab 3 10.1

I used a Galaxy Note 10.1 during the trial.  The app would not run until another tester told me that he had to disable developer options on his Android device.  After I did that, it worked perfectly.  You might try that.

Thank You! I will check for that.

#49 OFFLINE   Kash76

Kash76

Legend

• Registered
  • 205 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:47 AM

Does getting a new Genie 2 go require a new 2 year contract?

Kash76
--
HR44-500 --> Panasonic Plasma 50" via HDMI

C41-700 --> Panasonic Plasma 42" via HDMI

H25 --> HDMI split to Vizio 24" 720p & Vizio 24" 1080p 

#50 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,114 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 10:16 AM

Does getting a new Genie 2 go require a new 2 year contract?

No.

#51 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,199 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:08 PM

But you'd better ask for a GenieGo! (The two hasn't been released, and afaik, no date has been publicized.)

BTW, thought I mentioned it earlier, but don't see it: Nice work, gentlemen and lady!

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#52 OFFLINE   dbronstein

dbronstein

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:38 PM

Depends. If you can stream at 1.5mb or faster, you'll see maximum PQ either way.
At slower speeds, streaming PQ will likely be inferior.

So what is the PQ when you load a file?

#53 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,690 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 05:02 AM

GenieGo 2 video image quality is very good on a tablet - at least on a WIN 8.1 tablet. It also is very good on an Android (Jelly Bean OS) tablet. iPad users can testify about their experiences.

While the actual video is reproduced in something other than HD itself. on many devices the quality of the video is solid enough that some folks may very well ask you if it is HD. That experience happened to some of the field testers. That is as much a function of the video processor capabilities to refine imagery in the playback device as it is the trancoded file itself.

The issue of producing HD video is a challenge based on securing copyright protection primarily. SInce GenieGo produces files retained on mobile devices, those files must maintain copyright protection/encryption on HD content. SD content does not have this mandate. It seems that the easier path was to do the best job possible at SD video and avoid the headaches of attempting HD copy-protected files...it was likely not a limit based on the GenieGo 2 hardware.

DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#54 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,575 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 06:06 AM

Comparable to a standard DVD, ~720x480. Looks good on a phone, 7" device and a 1024x768 iPad 2 or PC laptop, but "soft", IMHO, on an iPad with retina display. Definitely watchable, tho. The screen grabs below are from an iPad Air.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0342.PNG
  • IMG_0343.PNG
  • IMG_0344.PNG

/steve

#55 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,868 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:41 AM

DIRECTV will never guarantee you a GenieGO 2 -- like DVRs, they consider all GenieGO devices are equal. The only way to get one will be through your favorite third party retailer.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#56 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,690 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:04 PM

Comparable to a standard DVD, ~720x480. Looks good on a phone, 7" device and a 1024x768 iPad 2 or PC laptop, but "soft", IMHO, on an iPad with retina display. Definitely watchable, tho. The screen grabs below are from an iPad Air.

Just to give some form of comparison...here is a WIN8.1 tablet screen shot....

Attached Thumbnails

• 040414 GenieGo2 WIN8 Screen Capture.jpg

DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#57 OFFLINE   biggie4852

biggie4852

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 01:44 PM

I wish mines would just work, DTV included it with my Genie upgrade last year it never work. I have Verizon Fios and Genie Go will not recognize or configure the Actiontec MW424WR router for some reason.

54" Panny G25
50" Viera TC-P50S2
37" Syntax Olevia LCD 37HVS

(1)HR21-700
(2)HR23-700

#58 OFFLINE   dazed&confuzed

dazed&confuzed

AllStar

• Registered
  • 102 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:15 PM

Tried it, Developer options had not been enabled on my Tab. Enabled then disabled and still no joy.

Starts to load the app and then just hangs with a black screen.

The app works on my Galaxy phone though, but old eyes need a bigger screen.

#59 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,683 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 04 April 2014 - 03:08 PM

I wish mines would just work, DTV included it with my Genie upgrade last year it never work. I have Verizon Fios and Genie Go will not recognize or configure the Actiontec MW424WR router for some reason.

there is a thread here some where by litzdog911 dealing with your same router and apparently the same issue. If you find it you might find it useful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#60 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,592 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:02 PM

See if this helps ....

http://www.dbstalk.c...7&hl=+actiontec

Mine works fine now.

HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

Protected By... spam firewall...And...