Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

GenieGO 2 First Look

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   BMWBig6

BMWBig6

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 06:25 AM

Any chance they are going to fix the Geniego app to work with more tablets and devices?

It still does not work with the Galaxy Tab. The list of "approved" android devices is quite short.

It doesn't work with Dell Venue 8 (Android) either.  :(  I'm hoping the Android app will be updated to accommodate the new GenieGo 2 device.

Ben

DirecTV HR44-700 (Genie), C41-500 (Genie Mini), HR24-200, HR24-100, Genie Go (Nomad)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 408 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:02 AM

Would love to get higher quality video from my Genie 1 I already own even if it takes longer.

#63 OFFLINE   P.R Bandit

P.R Bandit

• Registered
  • 3 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:37 PM

Looks better, sounds better. I had the Home Cinema Kit for about 5 months and couldn't use it because Directv didn't send me the DECA that went with it. Just last week they came over and installed it all. Now I see what I want to where I want to. When this comes out, I'll ask for it..

Everybody's gonna hurt you. You just gotta find those worth suffering for.

#64 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• Registered
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:03 AM

Looks better, sounds better. I had the Home Cinema Kit for about 5 months and couldn't use it because Directv didn't send me the DECA that went with it. Just last week they came over and installed it all. Now I see what I want to where I want to. When this comes out, I'll ask for it..

They'll treat it like Genie DVR's, you don't get to pick which model you'll get, so no guarantees.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#65 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,661 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:17 AM

Looks better, sounds better. [...] When this comes out, I'll ask for it..

They'll treat it like Genie DVR's, you don't get to pick which model you'll get, so no guarantees.

Correct. And having used both, I can tell you there's no difference in picture or audio quality using the GG2 vs. the GG1. Main difference is faster transcoding speeds, which, IMHO, only really matters if you need to wait for transcodes on your way out the door. If you normally transcode overnight, unless you need to process more hours of content than you sleep, either will work equally well for you.

/steve

#66 ONLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,390 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:25 AM

RAD said this GenieGo will transcode OTA from an AN21.

Will the original GenieGo be able to do this now/soon?

Will we be able to transcode out of market sporting events we subscribe too now?

anyone know if the GG1 will be able to transcode OTA?

#67 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,661 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 07:33 AM

anyone know if the GG1 will be able to transcode OTA?

That's a good question. I don't see why not, since it already transcodes MPEG-2 for SD programming. Fingers-crossed the next GG1 firmware update adds this capability, since the GG2 firmware already supports it.

/steve

#68 OFFLINE   Crow159

Crow159

Godfather

• Registered
  • 447 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:36 AM

Is there any chance that the GenieGo 1 can be updated to do faster than the 1:1 transcode that it now does or is it a hardware limitation?

Slimline 3 dish with a SWM-16
HR34-700 with Deca MRV

HR24-100 with Deca MRV
HR21-100 with Deca MRV
HR21-700 with Deca MRV

#69 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,085 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:49 AM

Is there any chance that the GenieGo 1 can be updated to do faster than the 1:1 transcode that it now does or is it a hardware limitation?

I'm going to guess hardware since since day one it's always been around the 1:1 mark.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#70 OFFLINE   jonny4

jonny4

Mentor

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:39 PM

So basically the GenieGo I just received today is outdated? Should I return it and wait for the GenieGo 2?

#71 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,307 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:59 PM

Up to you. No telling when next version may be released, or even if. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#72 OFFLINE   jonny4

jonny4

Mentor

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:50 PM

Up to you. No telling when next version may be released, or even if. 

It also doesn't seem to be what I thought it was. I was looking for a way to stream my content on my dvr.

#73 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,085 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 04:12 PM

It also doesn't seem to be what I thought it was. I was looking for a way to stream my content on my dvr.

That's never been the real purpose of GenieGo...it's mostly designed to free people up from any dependence of Internet connectivity to watch recorded content on a mobile device. Any streaming capability is just a secondary capability if one has a decent speed Internet connection...

DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#74 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,661 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 05:02 PM

It certainly can stream your DVR content, if your mobile device has a decent wi-fi connection. A steady 768kbps or better connection provides a very good experience, IMO. Maximum quality can be achieved at about 1500kbps. The ability to stream to my iPhone has come in very handy for me lately; I don't always know in advance when I might be away from home and want to watch a  previous night's recording.

You can find a "how to stream" link about halfway down on this page. There's also a link to a LIVE TV streaming 'work-around' below it.

/steve

#75 OFFLINE   jonny4

jonny4

Mentor

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:01 PM

So, other than the difference in transcoding the 2 devices are very similar? If I want to stream, not put a show on my device, will the transcoding matter? I didn't pay for the genieGo and I didn't sign any contract extension so I guess I could just try it and if it doesn't work return it to them.

#76 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,661 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:16 PM

So, other than the difference in transcoding the 2 devices are very similar? If I want to stream, not put a show on my device, will the transcoding matter? I didn't pay for the genieGo and I didn't sign any contract extension so I guess I could just try it and if it doesn't work return it to them.

When you stream, you are still transcoding, but on the fly vs. to device storage.

They only allow one GG device per account, so it's hard for me to directly compare streaming one model to the other. My guess is if you're streaming and you want to skip commercials, the GG2 will resume playback after a skip faster than the GG1, because it has a faster processor. If you're just playing through however, and not trying to jump over commercials, I would expect streaming performance to be similar on both devices.

As I said above, the key is  to have a good internet connection, both uploading to the internet and downloading while out of home. GG transcodes are currently about 1.2 mbps, so 1.5 mbps wireless up and 1.5 mbps down will allow you to stream at maximum quality, with a bit of a cushion.

If you want to stream in-home, on your own wireless G or N network, odds are you'll have plenty of bandwidth available for maximum GG streaming quality at all times.

/steve

#77 OFFLINE   jonny4

jonny4

Mentor

• Registered
  • 58 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:56 PM

When you stream, you are still transcoding, but on the fly vs. to device storage.

They only allow one GG device per account, so it's hard for me to directly compare streaming one model to the other. My guess is if you're streaming and you want to skip commercials, the GG2 will resume playback after a skip faster than the GG1, because it has a faster processor. If you're just playing through however, and not trying to jump over commercials, I would expect streaming performance to be similar on both devices.

As I said above, the key is  to have a good internet connection, both uploading to the internet and downloading while out of home. GG transcodes are currently about 1.2 mbps, so 1.5 mbps wireless up and 1.5 mbps down will allow you to stream at maximum quality, with a bit of a cushion.

If you want to stream in-home, on your own wireless G or N network, odds are you'll have plenty of bandwidth available for maximum GG streaming quality at all times.

I have charter and download ranges from 15Mb to 60Mb and uploading ranges from 2.5Mb to 5Mb.

#78 ONLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,390 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:01 PM

Can you FF/skip through commercials while streaming OOH? I didn't think you could do that (or maybe it is my device that doesn't allow it). 

Jonny4 -- if you didn't pay for the GG, and since there is no recurring fee, I wouldn't return it. 

#79 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,661 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 01:28 AM

I have charter and download ranges from 15Mb to 60Mb and uploading ranges from 2.5Mb to 5Mb.

For streaming outside the home, you're fine on the upload side (2.5 to 5Mb). The download speed will depend on the wi-fi hotspot you're currently connected to at your hotel, hospital waiting room, coffee shop, etc.

Inside the home, you're hardwired on the upload side and the speed of your wireless router is the determining factor down, which shouldn't be an issue.

/steve

#80 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,661 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 01:36 AM

Can you FF/skip through commercials while streaming OOH? I didn't think you could do that (or maybe it is my device that doesn't allow it). 

Jonny4 -- if you didn't pay for the GG, and since there is no recurring fee, I wouldn't return it. 

Each client is different, ATM. I can skip using the iPhone client, but I have to use the scrubber bar with my iPad, e.g.

/steve

Protected By... spam firewall...And...