Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

How to watch Netflix on TV

netflix tv connect chromecast

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   marechal_davout

marechal_davout

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 02:11 PM

Like many I have received a free Netflix offer but I do not know how to watch it on my TV set.    I would appreciate suggestion on how to do this.  I have contacted Netflix but all they do is refer me to some generic instructions or tell me to use chromecast.  If I plug chromecast into my TV I cannot use my headphones.

My Equipment:

DirecTV HR34 HD DVR receiver

Yamaha Receiver

Pioneer Plasma TV

N wireless router

IPad air

wireless earphones connected to Yamaha receiver.

My situation:

one Cat 6 cable running from router to  each DirecTV receiver and to Yamaha receiver which are connected to TV with HDMI cables.  TV has 6 HDMI inputs.

I will appreciate your advise.

Bill Detert / Springfield / IL

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,491 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 16 March 2014 - 02:20 PM

Like many I have received a free Netflix offer but I do not know how to watch it on my TV set.    I would appreciate suggestion on how to do this.  I have contacted Netflix but all they do is refer me to some generic instructions or tell me to use chromecast.  If I plug chromecast into my TV I cannot use my headphones.

My Equipment:

DirecTV HR34 HD DVR receiver

Yamaha Receiver

Pioneer Plasma TV

N wireless router

IPad air

wireless earphones connected to Yamaha receiver.

My situation:

one Cat 6 cable running from router to  each DirecTV receiver and to Yamaha receiver which are connected to TV with HDMI cables.  TV has 6 HDMI inputs.

I will appreciate your advise.

This should help http://www.amazon.co...node=8101452011

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#3 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:18 AM

Basically you need a streaming device. There are many out there and all are fairly straightforward to use. Many new tVs, DVD players, etc have streaming apps built in.

I currently access Netflix via Apple TV. The Apple TV output goes into an HDMI port on my Pioneer receiver. I can use headphones. My Panasonic TV and BluRay player alos have a Netflix app which I can access. I use Apple TV because I like the GUI better than the others.

I think the big 3 streamers right now are (in no particular order)

Apple TV

ROKU

Chromecast

Also you need to have them connected to your home network. I think all 3 above can work wirelessly (I am hardwired)

#4 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 17 March 2014 - 11:07 AM

If I plug chromecast into my TV I cannot use my headphones.

First of all do you already have a Chromecast? If so how would you even know it wouldn't work with headphones?

Anyway, it should work plug the Chromecast into HDMI input on Yamaha AVR then as long as the headphones are plugged into AVR you should get audio fine. If you're AVR didn't have HDMI inputs you could use optical or digital coax audio out from the back of the TV to the AVR which would work as well. If you can though plug Chromecast directly into AVR via HDMI so you will get DD+ surround for the times you do not use headphones. 

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV   DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 8am-1am ET)   DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25 ($30 with HBO) | 3=$35 ($40 with HBO) | 4=$43 ($48 with HBO) | All 5=$55 per month 

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#5 OFFLINE   marechal_davout

marechal_davout

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:28 PM

I appreciate everyone's advise but I did not make myself clear on what I was looking for.  I would like to make everything as seamless as possible.   First, since I have 2 internet feeds to my TV (DirecTV & Yamaha receiver)  I do not want to do this with WiFi.   Second,  I do not want another remote.  I want to use my IPad to control netflix.   Can I buy a DVR that supports internet streaming, has eithernet in and has an IPad app for control?  I haven't been able to find one so far. . .  Third,  I need this to go through my Yamaha which currently has 5 unused HDMI in ports so that I can listen to netflix with my headphones.  Does anyone know that plugging Chromecast into one of these ports will work (will reluctantly accept WiFi if this is the best and/or cheapest solution)?

My idea situation would be to hook up my streaming device via eithernet to my router which is located in the den.  The signal would go to DirecTV and my AVR.  After I made the correct selection on my AVR remote, I could control netflix with my IPad.

As always your help is greatly appreciated.   Thank you

#6 OFFLINE   ronton3

ronton3

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:31 PM

Although I have a roku and ATV I use an OPPO 103 bluray player, it has Netflix on the remote, and a button I can push to show the resolution being displayed.  I also have the netflix  app on my Ipad Air, you could get a thunderbolt to hdmi adapter, and hook up through the Yamaha.  I have not tried this with my Onkyo, but I assume it would work.  Apple will soon present a new ATV box, which I will immediately acquire, and with it or the current one you could use airplay--but who knows what options may come with the new one.   ron

Edited by ronton3, 17 March 2014 - 12:37 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   marechal_davout

marechal_davout

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:33 PM

Someone suggested Apple TV.   Will this meet my criteria?  Does Apple charge a service fee like Hulu Plus?   I do not want to pay any monthly fees except to Netflix.

#8 OFFLINE   marechal_davout

marechal_davout

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:15 PM

Let's put this on hold for awhile.    I have comcast and I just found out that the netflix TV picture on comcast is terrible.   Why would I pay $10/month for a terrible picture?

Thanks.

BD

#9 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,491 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:00 PM

Let's put this on hold for awhile.    I have comcast and I just found out that the netflix TV picture on comcast is terrible.   Why would I pay $10/month for a terrible picture?

Thanks.

BD

I have Comcast as well and Netflix & Comcast have come to an agreement and the Netflix streaming quality is now outstanding 

Someone suggested Apple TV.   Will this meet my criteria?  Does Apple charge a service fee like Hulu Plus?   I do not want to pay any monthly fees except to Netflix.

I would recommend a Roku 3, it has over 1200 channels and counting 

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#10 OFFLINE   ronton3

ronton3

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 03:44 PM

I gave my ATV to a family member so she could access netflix and it works well, no extra charge.   I kept the roku because it has access to Amazon Prime, it has many channels, none of which I watch.

#11 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:06 AM

Does anyone know that plugging Chromecast into one of these ports will work (will reluctantly accept WiFi if this is the best and/or cheapest solution)?

It should work fine, yes. Chromecast only has wireless built in (& 2.4GHz only), if you want a device that has ethernet port for wired your choices would be Apple TV, Roku 3, most smart Blu-ray players, WD TV Play/Live, PS 3/4, Wii U. 

Chromecast is probably going to very likely be the cheapest solution at $35.

#12 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:29 AM

Although I have AppleTV, one plus for the ROKU is you can plug headphones into the remote. Yes, the remote. Also, ROKU has a Chromecast like device called the ROKU stick.

I think there are probably a number of AVRs now with ethernet access and have iPad remote apps. Pioneer's new VSX-1124-k, for instance, has a dedicated ROKU port (for the ROKU streaming stick - similar to Chromecast), ipad app, AirPlay, Bluetooth, Networked, Pandora built-in, etc. The ROKU stick is controlled via the AVR remote or the app. It's a reasonable $600 and will probably be found cheaper.

Many of the new AVRs have these capabilities in one form or another depending on who they're in bed with..

#13 OFFLINE   gjrhine

gjrhine

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:38 PM

Let's put this on hold for awhile.   

Excellent idea while you research the many ways to do this.

Gary

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: netflix, tv, connect, chromecast

spam firewall