Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

I gave up on the GenieGo for OOH streaming

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 806 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 02:28 PM

I got my GenieGo back in December so that my copper dropper son could watch sports while he is away at college, and the frustration became too much.

At times, it worked perfectly for him. At times, it worked well enough. Most of the time, it didn't work at all. It became too much when he wasn't able to watch the basketball games this week.

I got a Slingbox Solo from Amazon, and it is so much better than the GenieGo. For one, it works. Second, the picture quality is amazing, even when you cast to a Roku on a TV. Lastly, there's no arbitrary 5 device limit to the Slingbox.

I don't regret buying the GenieGo, because it works perfectly for its original purpose: transcoding and downloading shows to a mobile device. In my case, my baby loves having Doc McStuffins on her Nexus 7.

I'd love for D* to just make the GenieGo work. The Slingbox does lock up a TV when it's being used, but I can't stand the unreliable nature of what the GenieGo is right now.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   nuspieds

nuspieds

Legend

• Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 02:52 PM

dualsub2006, on 16 Mar 2014 - 1:28 PM, said:

I got my GenieGo back in December so that my copper dropper son could watch sports while he is away at college, and the frustration became too much.

At times, it worked perfectly for him. At times, it worked well enough. Most of the time, it didn't work at all. It became too much when he wasn't able to watch the basketball games this week.

I got a Slingbox Solo from Amazon, and it is so much better than the GenieGo. For one, it works. Second, the picture quality is amazing, even when you cast to a Roku on a TV. Lastly, there's no arbitrary 5 device limit to the Slingbox.

I don't regret buying the GenieGo, because it works perfectly for its original purpose: transcoding and downloading shows to a mobile device. In my case, my baby loves having Doc McStuffins on her Nexus 7.

I'd love for D* to just make the GenieGo work. The Slingbox does lock up a TV when it's being used, but I can't stand the unreliable nature of what the GenieGo is right now.

Quite surprising because I use GenieGO OOH streaming all the time and it works perfectly.  The only problem I encounter is the speed of the hotel's WiFi, which has nothing to do with the GenieGO.

I also own a Slingbox (two of them, actually)--and have no plans of getting rid of them.  However, the only time I use them is only when I want to watch Live TV at home; otherwise, I much prefer the GenieGO interface to stream and watch a recorded show.  For example, with the SlingPlayer, you have to activate and fiddle around with the on-screen remote to fast-forward, skip, etc., whereas with the GenieGO, I find it much easier to use the on-screen navigation buttons.

But in your case, what was happening exactly?  Consistently poor picture quality?  Or no picture at all?

#3 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 806 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 03:05 PM

But in your case, what was happening exactly? Consistently poor picture quality? Or no picture at all?

Well, the GenieGo picture quality is poor by design, but that's not it.

He's able to stream fine one time, and then the next 5 times the app can't find the GenieGo. For the basketball games this week, it worked for a hot minute and then it didn't. The app couldn't find the GenieGo when he restarted it.

The last straw was when his iPad suddenly lost its activation and he couldn't log in again because he was 6 hours from home.

I've gone through all of the setup a number of times. Talked to support and went through all of their steps. According to me and to D* support, everything was fine and should have worked.

Same iPad, same Internet provider and the Slingbox works perfectly.

#4 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,381 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 16 March 2014 - 03:20 PM

Is your son, by chance, on a slow or crowded internet connection. . . . campus, hotel?

I've had great streaming from some locations, marginal or none at others.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#5 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 806 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 03:26 PM

Is your son, by chance, on a slow or crowded internet connection. . . . campus, hotel?

No, he lives off campus apartment with 30/5 cable Internet that isn't shared.

Their on campus speeds are lightning quick but GenieGo is no more reliable there.

#6 OFFLINE   nuspieds

nuspieds

Legend

• Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 03:41 PM

dualsub2006, on 16 Mar 2014 - 2:05 PM, said:

Well, the GenieGo picture quality is poor by design, but that's not it.

He's able to stream fine one time, and then the next 5 times the app can't find the GenieGo. For the basketball games this week, it worked for a hot minute and then it didn't. The app couldn't find the GenieGo when he restarted it.

The last straw was when his iPad suddenly lost its activation and he couldn't log in again because he was 6 hours from home.

I've gone through all of the setup a number of times. Talked to support and went through all of their steps. According to me and to D* support, everything was fine and should have worked.

Same iPad, same Internet provider and the Slingbox works perfectly.

For me, I wouldn't say that the GenieGO picture quality is poor by design at all; as a matter of fact, I have no issues and, as expected, the quality increases/decreases depending on network performance--exactly like the SlingPlayer.  However, I must admit that the SlingPlayer has more robust programming to manage poor/varying network performance so that at least content is practically always streaming without interruption.   But this comes as no surprise, since streaming is an add-on/secondary functionality for the GenieGO.

With my experiences, I certainly wouldn't rule out the iPad app itself as the culprit.  As you stated, same network, same host device, yet your son now gets reliable streaming.  In my case, I use a PC and when I first used the GenieGO PC client, I ran into problems where it would all-of-a-sudden lose the activation and, as a result, all the content would be invalidated.  :mad:   Of course, at the time, I'd be travelling, so this meant that I'd lose all my programming.  Since then, I now always take a backup of the GenieGO client content directory before I travel.  Though I must admit that a client update must have fixed the problem (as I can't recall the last time the issue occurred), I still continue to not take any chances and I continue to take the backup.

#7 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,381 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 16 March 2014 - 03:52 PM

The authentication issues seem to have subsided. . . I've changed clients a couple of times with no problems.

Just don't try anything when out of home.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#8 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,285 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:02 PM

The authentication issues seem to have subsided. . . I've changed clients a couple of times with no problems.

Just don't try anything when out of home.

The last update I had automatically installed when I opened the App. I wasn't paying attention or I would have shut off the WiFi. Once the update was installed, I had to log in. But since I was on a business trip, it failed to authenticate.  I had hours of transcoded movies and shows on my laptop I wanted to catch up on.

Had I know what I do now, I wouldn't have spent the $149 when the nomad first came out.

#9 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 806 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:03 PM

For me, I wouldn't say that the GenieGO picture quality is poor by design at all; as a matter of fact, I have no issues and, as expected, the quality increases/decreases depending on network performance--exactly like the SlingPlayer. .

GenieGo streams at 480p and that, to me, is poor picture quality. The Sling is doing 1080i, and the difference is, as you'd expect, substantial.

I'm harping on the iPad app because that's what he was using this week, but he also tries to use his MacBook Pro with the same disappointing results.

#10 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 806 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:11 PM

For example, with the SlingPlayer, you have to activate and fiddle around with the on-screen remote to fast-forward, skip, etc., whereas with the GenieGO, I find it much easier to use the on-screen navigation buttons

I've just realized that the Android app has playback controls independent of activating the remote. Play, pause, rewind, FF and then a button to cast to Roku.

I'm not at home to check my laptop, but thinking about it, I'm sure the browser plugin also had the same playback controls independent of the soft remote.

#11 OFFLINE   63thk

63thk

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:40 PM

I've only had a genie go for about a week and am about as frustrated as you are with the OOH. I have had no success getting it to work. I like you want it for daughter in college to watch her programs. I may go with sling too 

#12 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,278 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:51 PM

there's no arbitrary 5 device limit to the Slingbox.

Correct, there is no 5 device limit because the Slingbox only supports one user at the time 

http://support.sling...KB-2000078.html

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#13 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 806 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:51 PM

I've only had a genie go for about a week and am about as frustrated as you are with the OOH. I have had no success getting it to work. I like you want it for daughter in college to watch her programs. I may go with sling too

Groupon has the Solo refurb for $59 right now and I think that's going for one more day. Amazon has what they say is new for $99.

Mine wasn't in the original box, but was listed new so I bought the Square Trade two year warranty for $7.

#14 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 806 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:53 PM

Correct, there is no 5 device limit because the Slingbox only supports one user at the time

Right, the same single stream limit as the GenieGo.

5 devices doesn't give me enough to have tablet and computer activations for everyone, Sling does.

#15 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,278 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:54 PM

GenieGo streams at 480p and that, to me, is poor picture quality. The Sling is doing 1080i, and the difference is, as you'd expect, substantial.

I'm harping on the iPad app because that's what he was using this week, but he also tries to use his MacBook Pro with the same disappointing results.

according to the Slingbox specs, 

Minimum Network Bandwidth

Video quality is dependent on network speed and conditions.

• HD Viewing: 2 Mbps
  • SD Viewing: 600 Kbps
  • Mobile Viewing: 250 Kbps

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#16 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,278 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:57 PM

Right, the same single stream limit as the GenieGo.

5 devices doesn't give me enough to have tablet and computer activations for everyone, Sling does.

But at least with the GenieGO you can off load shows and have multiple users at the same time

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#17 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 806 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 05:02 PM

according to the Slingbox specs,

Video quality is dependent on network speed and conditions.

• HD Viewing: 2 Mbps
  • SD Viewing: 600 Kbps
  • [Mobile Viewing: 250 Kbps[/color]

I just streamed the NCAA selection show on my Nexus 7 tethered to the hotspot on my phone and I got HD over LTE from Slingbox.

I have upload speed to do HD to my son, no problem.

#18 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 806 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 05:03 PM

But at least with the GenieGO you can off load shows and have multiple users at the same time

Yep, I called that out in my original post. Offloading shows to mobile devices is the thing that I love about it, and that's why I haven't unplugged it.

#19 OFFLINE   63thk

63thk

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 06:20 PM

isn't there a way to set s program to auto download to the genie go when you set it to record? Then later move to your device.

#20 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,278 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 07:30 PM

isn't there a way to set s program to auto download to the genie go when you set it to record? Then later move to your device.

Right, but you must be at home in order to download.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

spam firewall