Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

What does a green light on a GenieGo mean?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Peapod

Peapod

Godfather

• Registered
  • 343 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 02:47 PM

My GenieGo has been broken since early December. It will occasionally begin preparing shows for a few minutes then reset to waiting to prepare. I have been working with DirecTV support since December, although after about a month they lost my case and I had to start all over.

I can stream shows in home and out of home -- it's only download to device that is broken (sadly that's the one feature I really care about).

Since this effort began I have replaced virtually everything in my entire setup. DirecTV sent out a replacement GenieGo, and eventually recommended upgrading to a SWiM/DECA setup, at which time I finally got a Genie DVR. I have replaced my old D-Link gigabit switch with a Cisco managed gigabit switch. I have switched ISPs (from DSL to business class cable), switched from routing with an Airport Extreme to a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite and replaced every network cable involved in any of this chain -- all gigabit connections are Cat 6 and all 100MB connections are Cat 5e.

Earlier this week, while sending more diagnostic reports to DirecTV, the status light on the GenieGo suddenly changed to green for a few minutes, and I managed to get 3 one hour shows to download, before it stopped again for about 14 hours, then worked for a 2 hour movie before now failing for the last 9-10 hours again. I have yet to see the green light repeat, and cannot find anything anywhere about a green status light -- everything I read suggests that the possible colors for that light are blue, amber and red, but it was definitely green. I also haven't gotten any idea from DirecTV support what that could mean.

Honestly it seems that they have no idea what is going on, and I seem to be doing the same diagnostic checks over and over again for months now at a 30 minute or longer call every few days. It's unbelievably frustrating.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,343 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 16 March 2014 - 05:07 PM

Yep, according to the manual, there is no green LED status indicator.

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   PK6301

PK6301

Legend

• Registered
  • 315 posts
  • LocationErie, PA

Posted 16 March 2014 - 05:48 PM

Of the 3 light on the GenieGo which one had the "Green Color" ?  I know there is also a "White Light".

Solid White GenieGO is powering up.
Solid Blue GenieGO is set up properly.
oK Blinking Blue Content downloading from GenieGO to device.
Pulsing Blue GenieGO is preparing DVR content for mobile use.
Blinking Amber Downloading GenieGO device firmware update.
Solid Amber Indicates general problem with GenieGO. (See Amber Status Light 
section on next page for info.)
PRoBLEM Red Critical Error. Unplug power from GenieGO and contact DIRECTV 
customer service.
Off No power. Make sure power cord is plugged in correctly and that 
electricity is working.19

Amber Status Light is oN 
Network Light is oFF
No Internet connection Make sure that the router is connected to 
the Internet and the cable between the 
router and the GenieGO™ device is properly 
secured.

Amber Status Light is oN 
Activity Light is oFF
GenieGO can’t find an HD 
DVR to communicate with
Make sure that the HD DVR is powered on 
(stand-by mode is OK) and that you have 
an active Internet connection.
See the Additional Info section on page 20 
for instructions on checking your HD DVR’s 
connection to the Internet, or visit support.
directv.com.
When the Status light is amber, it indicates two possible problems, both of which are indicated 

#4 OFFLINE   Peapod

Peapod

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 343 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 07:05 PM

Status was green. and it was clearly a bright lime green (and I'm not color blind). I was on the phone with DirecTV support at the time, and verified it a few times.

#5 OFFLINE   PK6301

PK6301

Legend

• Registered
  • 315 posts
  • LocationErie, PA

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:56 AM

Oh I believe you, but that's a new one on me. 

But on the Bright Side  you upgraded to a bigger better badder DVR, better internet, better cabling, and better router... :hurah:  :hurah: 

Now if you could just get the GenieGo to act right you would be Golden !!!!!   :bang  :bang  

#6 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,917 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 17 March 2014 - 05:42 AM

I suppose they haven't tried replacing it?

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#7 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,420 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:44 PM

I've seen the green light before on my GenieGo. It coincided with sending diagnostic reports to DIRECTV. Based on that, I figured the green light meant it was sending diagnostic data, although I have no way of confirming that.

I'll see if I can duplicate that behavior later when I'm home.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#8 OFFLINE   Peapod

Peapod

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 343 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 03:37 PM

I suppose they haven't tried replacing it?

Yes, they have replaced the GenieGo, and I have replaced everything else in the chain of communication between the GenieGo and DVRs.

#9 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,917 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 04:26 PM

Yes, they have replaced the GenieGo, and I have replaced everything else in the chain of communication between the GenieGo and DVRs.

So give us some more info about your network. . .  modem / router, layout of DVRs and GG.

#10 OFFLINE   Peapod

Peapod

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 343 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 04:35 PM

Motorola SB6121 cable modem

Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite router

Cisco SG300-20 gigabit managed switch

Everything is plugged into the Cisco switch. As these are all 100M connections, I am using Cat-5e on all of them. From the switch GUI:

11 GE11 Ooma             1000M-copper Up Enabled     100M Full   Unprotected

12 GE12 DirecTV HR24-100 1000M-copper Up Enabled     100M Full   Unprotected

13 GE13 DirecTV HR44-700 1000M-copper Up Enabled     100M Full   Unprotected empty.gif

I'm not doing anything special on the switch relating to these ports. The switch is about two weeks old and the router is 5 days old. Prior to that I was using an Airport Extreme for routing and a few 5 port D-Link gigabit switches. The DVRs and GenieGo were all hooked into one of the switches.

Edited by Peapod, 17 March 2014 - 04:36 PM.

#11 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,270 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 17 March 2014 - 06:16 PM

Peapod, try this. If you can.

Connect the GenieGO via Cat5 cable to your Router.

Connect your Genie via Cat 5 cable directly to your Router.

-If that is not possible, connect your DECA network to the Router directly with a CCK or BB DECA.

-Or if your Genie is an HR44, try wireless to the router. If your router supports it.

Just yesterday I was communicating with someone with a Layer 3 Gigabit switch and once we took that out of the equation, some problems were solved.

In other words, don't have any Directv devices or traffic through additional switches after the router unless its something like a $29 low cost switch.

Reboot everything after the changes of course

#12 OFFLINE   Peapod

Peapod

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 343 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 06:52 PM

I don't currently have a CCK or BB DECA, but I do have a DCA2SR0, that was used for an HR22 before I decommissioned it. I'm more than willing to try it though if it might help. I should add that in-home and out-of-home streaming work perfectly though, as does downloading to devices -- it is only preparation that fails.

My switch is currently configured in Layer 2 mode on purpose to keep it simpler, but I had also tried this with an unmanaged D-Link 5 port switch for months without success.

My router does not do wireless. It's a dedicated purpose router. It has two ports after the WAN is used, and I would be actually routing between two subnets if I hooked it up that way. I have been considering putting my wireless access point on another subnet and on the other router port, but have not specifically because not everything may route correctly across the two and I don't want to have to mess with forwarding things like broadcast across the two subnets.

I definitely could try wireless to the access point that connects to the switch. Is there a reason you suggest Cat5? I'll have to find some I can borrow, as I don't even keep any Cat5 laying around anymore -- just Cat5e and Cat6.

#13 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,343 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:00 PM

when we say cat 5 we generally mean Ethernet cable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#14 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,270 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:29 PM

Assuming you cannot connect an ETHERNET cable to your Genie that goes directly to the router, try the DCA2SR0 as a broadband DECA.   Connect it to the router and an open port on a splitter.  I assume its Green Labeled Directv approved splitter. Any splitter has to be for DECA.

Then move the GenieGO if necessary and connect it to another port on the Router.

Reboot everything.  You should get blue lights on the GG after 2 mins.

I'd be curious if you still cannot prepare.

#15 OFFLINE   Peapod

Peapod

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 343 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:44 PM

It's the connection directly to the router that would cause problems. Two connections on the router would be on two different subnets, whether it's direct via ethernet or through the DCASR0. I would have to configure routing between the two subnets and probably have issues with things like broadcast. Worse, I would not be able to connect my wireless access point to the router then, as all ports would be in use, so I would have no way of seeing if anything worked.

Even if I setup everything to route correctly with direct connections only to the router, I suspect that the software running on the devices wouldn't even understand one device on a 192.168.2.0/24 network and another device on a 192.168.3.0/24 network. I think it would treat them as 'outside the home'.

#16 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,270 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:08 PM

I am not following your concern.

Connection 1 is the DECA network

Connection 2 is the GG

Data will pass through the router for the DVRs to communicate with the GG.

Don't the ports on the router follow some 192.168.2.x where anything on the ports is in the same DHCP pool and subnet?

That is how GG is designed to function.

#17 OFFLINE   Peapod

Peapod

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 343 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:29 PM

Not on a real router. That would work fine on a switch, but a router routes between subnets. Most home 'routers' are really very simple downstream/upstream routers with a switch built in. This is not what I am using.

I can connect everything back into the D-Link regular switch, but I wouldn't expect it to work since I had exactly this configuration until two weeks ago.

#18 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,270 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:01 PM

According to your posts,  you've changed just about everything in your system and still have the issues.    And since you don't have a real router (your words), that might be the root cause.

As I mentioned earlier the GG product was designed to plug into the same router as your DECA internet.  

Sophisticated business like systems will mess it up, as you experienced.

#19 OFFLINE   Peapod

Peapod

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 343 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:17 PM

You misunderstand me. I used to have just an airport extreme that acted as a minimal router (WAN to everything else), 3 port switch and wireless access point. I tried plugging the DVRs and GenieGo into both the airport extreme and also through a separate D-Link gigabit switch. The GenieGo did not work.

I now have a dedicated router that just does routing, a managed switch (in layer 2 mode and with everything fancy disabled except link aggregation to NAS) and am still using the airport extreme as a wireless access point for now.

Essentially the starting configuration when this problem began is what you are asking me to try, and it did not work. I can pretty much rule out a malfunctioning device because I have swapped everything out except one of the DVRs and the WAP.

When you say plug everything into the same router, I believe you really mean a combo router/switch, as on a dedicated router every port is usually a different segment. I'm sure some routers can be configured to share a network segment among multiple ports, but this is not the default behavior of a router, and it's not an option on mine in any case.

#20 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,917 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:36 AM

Just put a small switch directly behind the single port on your router.   Then plug the GG and Deca module into it.  You don't want them on separate subnets.  Keep it simple . . .

Protected By... spam firewall...And...