Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Considering getting Genie - question about HDD compatibility

hr24-500 Genie HDD compatibilty

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BossWolf

BossWolf

• Registered
  • 1 posts
  • LocationWauseon, Ohio

Posted 17 March 2014 - 06:14 AM

I am told I am entitled to an equipment upgrade as I have had service policy for more than 2 years and have never requested an upgrade, Right now I am using an HR24-500 with a Fantom GreenDrive 2 TB USB 2.0/eSATA External Hard Drive (GD2000EU32) functioning via eSATA hookup. It has worked OK for several years. If I can convince DirecTV that they should provide me with a Genie upgrade .. will my current added external hard drive hook up to and work with the Genie the same as it does with the HR24-500? Will my existing recorded programming be playable on the Genie? If it won't I will probably NOT ask for the upgrade and will continue with the equipment and setup that I have. Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,090 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 17 March 2014 - 06:41 AM

Unless it was recorded OTA through an AM21, recorded programming will not work on any other DVR, including if your current one fails and it replaced, including another 24-500. You can add a Genie and keep your current DVR, though this will increase the monthly cost by $9 a month instead of just $3 (assuming you don't already pay the Whole Home DVR fee).

• FHSPSU67 likes this

#3 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,410 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:17 AM

one day your HR24 will go south and you will loose all of your programing, why not just upgrade today ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,916 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:01 AM

!devil12:[the questions coming each week, and same answers been given 1000 times ... why ppl can't read it? :shrug: ]

#5 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 07:38 AM

!devil12:[the questions coming each week, and same answers been given 1000 times ... why ppl can't read it? :shrug: ]

It's the guy's 1st post, probably 1st time here. He didn't see any of the 1000 answers.

Welcome aboard BossWolf, you'll find that most people here will be happy to answer you're questions.

Edited by joed32, 18 March 2014 - 07:38 AM.

• Rich likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hr24-500, Genie, HDD compatibilty

Protected By... spam firewall...And...