Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Remote access to DVR programming

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rbpeirce

rbpeirce

Godfather

• Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:55 AM

If this already exists, tell me where to find it!

I have often used DirecTV's web site to request specific programs be recorded.  This seems to work well.  However, frequently, I want to check to see if I am already scheduled to record something.  This could be a season pass (or whatever they call them now) or a specific program.  I would also like to know what has already been recorded and is in the queue and I would like to change the priorities on upcoming recordings.  This is all very simple and straightforward when on site but does not appear possible from off.

My equipment is connected to the internet so the possibility exists to come in that way but I haven't seen that that is possible either.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,944 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:57 AM

yep not possible, hopefully one day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,215 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:41 AM

This is a long-requested and never delivered feature that many of the competitors offer.

Is there still a wish HR2x wish list or has everyone given up? The importance of this can't be understated given DIRECTV's burning desire to maintain similarity in feature sets across the board.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,944 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 11:58 AM

This is a long-requested and never delivered feature that many of the competitors offer.

so does DIRECTV

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#5 OFFLINE   Ken Stomski

Ken Stomski

Mentor

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:10 PM

Get a Slingbox. 

#6 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,215 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:01 PM

yep not possible, hopefully one day

so does DIRECTV

Huh?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#7 OFFLINE   rbpeirce

rbpeirce

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:02 PM

so does DIRECTV

This is a bit confusing since you previously said hopefully one day.  Does DTV offer this or not?

#8 OFFLINE   rbpeirce

rbpeirce

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:02 PM

Get a Slingbox. 

How will that solve my problem?  I am not familiar with the product.

#9 OFFLINE   Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z

Godfather

• Registered
  • 508 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 03:07 PM

A Slingbox will basically let you control and view the output of (nearly) any video device remotely via the web.  It sits between the video device (a D* DVR in this case) and the immediate viewing device (say a 70" Panasonic plasma ;) ).  It is internet connected and can receive remote commands which it passes along to the video device and then sends the video stream over the internet.  Thus with a Slingbox you could remotely control and view your D* DVR.  Of course, whatever you are doing is viewable by whomever may be watching the TV that the DVR is currently connected to.  And you can view whatever they happen to be watching....

Kevin

My top 5 wishlist: 1) Free MRV HR to HR 2) Fix Channels I Receive so that it is accurate 3) > 50 SeriesLink 4) Usage of both internal and external drives concurrently 5) Support for other video providers as DoD (i.e. Hulu, CBS)   

DirecTV HR21-200, 2008 (DirecTV anniversary gift)
DirecTV HR20-100 (2TB eSATA), 2007
DirecTV since 1995

<><

#10 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,944 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 04:00 PM

Huh?

that post should have been on another thread. my phone crashed in the middle of posting, sorry about that

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#11 OFFLINE   rbpeirce

rbpeirce

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 04:38 PM

A Slingbox will basically let you control and view the output of (nearly) any video device remotely via the web.  It sits between the video device (a D* DVR in this case) and the immediate viewing device (say a 70" Panasonic plasma ;) ).  It is internet connected and can receive remote commands which it passes along to the video device and then sends the video stream over the internet.  Thus with a Slingbox you could remotely control and view your D* DVR.  Of course, whatever you are doing is viewable by whomever may be watching the TV that the DVR is currently connected to.  And you can view whatever they happen to be watching....

That sounds like it may be what I am after, but I don't understand how it can send commands to the DVR.  I can see that it would show whatever the DVR was sending but how does it tell the DVR what to send?

#12 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,398 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:20 PM

That sounds like it may be what I am after, but I don't understand how it can send commands to the DVR.  I can see that it would show whatever the DVR was sending but how does it tell the DVR what to send?

It is equipped with an IR emitter.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#13 OFFLINE   rbpeirce

rbpeirce

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 07:46 AM

I see.  So the SlingBox is accessible from the internet and it can be told to send commands to the Genie which will then send the output to the SlingBox.  That is pretty cool.

How do you get access to the SlingBox from the internet?

#14 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,944 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:28 AM

Slingbox website for PCs or apps for mobile devices

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#15 OFFLINE   EricRobins

EricRobins

Godfather

• Registered
  • 463 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:00 AM

I certainly agree that a Slinbox will solve the problem here, but isn't that a bit overkill?  Since even the previous models are $100+ and the apps are $15-30, thats paying a huge amount just to be able to view the TDL.  

#16 OFFLINE   rbpeirce

rbpeirce

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 431 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 11:09 AM

I certainly agree that a Slinbox will solve the problem here, but isn't that a bit overkill?  Since even the previous models are $100+ and the apps are $15-30, thats paying a huge amount just to be able to view the TDL.  

This is an excellent point.  The 500 sells for $300 and the 350 for $180.  OTOH, the Harmony Ultimate lists for about $350, although it is available on Amazon for about $250.  Both seem like a lot of money to me but they may be worth it if they are the only way to solve a problem.  The other option seems to be to forget about off-site control and to use a handful of remotes when on site.  I am beginning to drift in that direction.

#17 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,215 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:05 AM

It is notable that the HR2x series can operate only in one remote mode at a time (another oft-voiced complaint that was addressed only in the THR22 and the Genie) so if your talking about an HR2x in RF mode, you'll need to change it to run in IR mode.

The Slingbox (or similar) devices are superior to a remote-only solution as they can offer you remote viewing of ANY content (versus the limitations and WHDS requirement of the GenieGo) if you have enough upstream Internet bandwidth. The place-shifting devices offer compatibility with most set-top boxes should you change providers in the future.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...