Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Common online calender for Family use?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:37 AM

I'm trying to work out a solution for our Family calendars. I want to be able to have a common online calendar which syncs with Outlook (home PC), Outlook (work PC) and the iPhone calendar.

I've tried a few things but keeping them in sync doesn't seem to be very good. For instance, the iPhone calendar native app doesn't seem to sync both ways all the time.

We started using Cozi a few years ago, but getting it synced with stuff is terrible, especially with the iphone calendar. We want the iPhone calendar because it shows up in the notification area when there are appts etc.

Anyone have some slick solutions? We all have current iPhone models, we use a PC (outlook) and daughter uses a MacBook.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,129 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:48 AM

if you have an Exchange account you might want to take a look at Fantastical is awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:48 AM

https://flexibits.com/fantastical

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#4 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,521 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:17 AM

Google calendar works with pretty much everything.

I can't imagine anything that is worth the pain and suffering of setting up and maintaining an Exchange server for (unless you can't find a job otherwise).

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#5 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,435 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:17 AM

I am about to get a new phone - either a Samsung Galaxy S4 or an Iphone 4s. My decision hinges partly on the calendar. Can the IPhone calendar sync with Google calendar on my PC and Tablet?

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#6 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,521 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:49 AM

Google calendar supports iCal format. I use it with Lightning (Thunderbird calendar add-on) on all of my computers.

Whether you have the same problems with iCal as the TS may be an issue.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 11:54 AM

I am about to get a new phone - either a Samsung Galaxy S4 or an Iphone 4s. My decision hinges partly on the calendar. Can the IPhone calendar sync with Google calendar on my PC and Tablet?

absolutely !

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#8 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,278 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 17 March 2014 - 06:02 PM

I'm trying to work out a solution for our Family calendars. I want to be able to have a common online calendar which syncs with Outlook (home PC), Outlook (work PC) and the iPhone calendar.

You might want to check with your IT department at work. You may find that they block certain sites/applications. I can't do any streaming, log into non-company email sites (Gmail, Yahoo, etc) or automatic data-syncing (Dropbox was completely removed from my company laptop).   So before you get too far along, I'd check with them. 

#9 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:18 AM

My wife and I use a product called gsyncit to sync our Outlook (work) calendars and contacts to Google. The Google calendar is easily integrated to the calendar app on iPhone/iPad. It is also pretty easy to share Google calendars between users.

#10 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:48 AM

You might want to check with your IT department at work. You may find that they block certain sites/applications. I can't do any streaming, log into non-company email sites (Gmail, Yahoo, etc) or automatic data-syncing (Dropbox was completely removed from my company laptop).   So before you get too far along, I'd check with them. 

Indeed. Pretty much everything is blocked. I guess all I can do is invite my work self to events.

I'm seeing lots of good things about Fantastical. Maybe I'll give it a try (hmmm, $4.99 - not try...do). Everyone would need it...Hmmmm...more studying I must do

spam firewall