Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Cloud Price War

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,950 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:36 PM

Google Cuts Price of Drive Cloud Storage

logo_gizmag.png

Following Microsoft's recent relaunch of SkyDrive as OneDrive, Google has thrown down the gauntlet in the cloud storage market by reducing the prices of its own platform. The drops are significant too.

Gizmag recently ran a cloud storage comparison guide in which, for their first increments of paid storage offered, Amazon Cloud Drive and Microsoft OneDrive were shown to offer a value of 24 GB per dollar per month. Google Drive came in just behind them at 20 GB per dollar per month. It's new price structure sees Drive improve that figure by a factor of 2.5, offering 50 GB per dollar per month.

Drive users can now receive 100 GB of storage for US$1.99 per month (previously $4.99 per month), 1 TB of storage for $9.99 per month (previously $49.99 per month) and 10+ TB starting at $99.99 per month. The amount of space offered for free stays the same, at 15 GB.

. . . .

READ MORE

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,433 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 17 March 2014 - 03:21 PM

I'm not comfortable with the idea of "cheapness" as a criteria for a cloud server service. There are just too many potential political and social issues. Here's the kind of criteria that will go into the development of economically competitive cloud server sites:

1. Large volumes of cheap electricity. The reason is obvious.
  2. Proximity to rivers and lakes. They use a large amount of water for cooling purposes.
  3. Large areas of land. Allows for more privacy and security.
  4. Tax incentives. This allows you to help pay for their development - what corporation wouldn't want that.
  5. Access to technically-trained personnel at modest wages. As prices drop, this will, of course, be in Silicon Valley or close proximity to Puget Sound. :sure:

There's much BS about things like focus on renewable power sources. I call it BS because there is a finite quantity of reliable power available at any one time and if you want the cheapest the solution is to appear to be in an area that is served by "green" energy then buy the cheapest leaving others to carry the cost of being green.

And then in 2011 we learned:

At the Office 365 launch, Microsoft U.K.'s managing director Gordon Frazer, gave the first admission that cloud data, regardless of where it is in the world, is not protected against the Patriot Act Act.

After a year of researching the Patriot Act's breadth and ability to access data held within protected EU boundaries, Microsoft was the first cloud provider to openly admit it.

But hey, another few cheap terabyte here and there, and pretty soon you've got some real data for the government to wade through.

Edited by phrelin, 17 March 2014 - 03:26 PM.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#3 OFFLINE   kaminar

kaminar

Mentor

• Registered
  • 199 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 03:52 PM

Large volumes of cheap electricity. The reason is obvious.

Cheap Electric + Open Air Cooling..available now at big data centers in NC and Ireland :)

-=K=-

#4 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 17 March 2014 - 04:53 PM

Yep, I live about 30-40 miles from 3 or 4 of the largest, newest from Apple, Google & others.

Google earth 'Apple Data Center, NC' or 'Google data center, NC'

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#5 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,433 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 17 March 2014 - 05:24 PM

I'm kind of a skeptic about the reliability of the Open Air Cooling model. And IMHO whether its water or air, the heat generated is ultimately shifted to the environment which over the long run, as the number of servers expands exponentially, is going to have a cumulative impact on the environment. But what do I know....rolleyes.gif

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#6 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7,950 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 17 March 2014 - 11:12 PM

Just read Virgin is also getting into the cloud biz.

Edited by Drucifer, 17 March 2014 - 11:12 PM.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

Protected By... spam firewall...And...