Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Priority-skipped new shows no longer picked up at next showing?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Stutz342

Stutz342

AllStar

• Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:08 PM

Is it just me or is this a change?  It used to be that if I had too many timers for new episodes that air in conflict, then the lowest priority ones would, as expected, get skipped at that timeslot, but then would be recorded at the next airing, even though they aren't technically "new" at that later slot.  This was a critical feature that isn't working for me any more.

Example:  Thursday evening at 10:00 I have PTAT recording the main networks, plus timers for 3 other, non-network shows with new episodes.  The priority system correctly identifies which 2 (non-PTAT) shows "win" and get recorded.  However, the show that ends up as "Conflict, Due to priority" has a re-airing at 1:00 AM that same evening.  It used to be that this second airing would automatically be "un-skipped" and record without me having to do anything.  Now the first airing shows "Conflict, Due to priority" and the re-air a few hours later is listed as "Skipped, Not a new episode"

This is a major drop in functionality!

Edited by Stutz342, 18 March 2014 - 06:11 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   rgranberry

rgranberry

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 06:18 PM

Most of my conflicts are picking up the next airing(i.e. working correctly), but I did have one that didn't (Sirens on USA Thurs) and I had to "restore event" on the later showing.

#3 OFFLINE   dennispap

dennispap

Icon

• Registered
  • 657 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:45 PM

Same here. Some are catching and some aren't . It started with the last update to the hopper w/sling last week.

#4 OFFLINE   Stutz342

Stutz342

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:39 AM

I tried a good ol' check switch, followed by power cord reset, followed by leaving it off for a while to let it download and such.  No dice - Still having issues.

How do we get some attention for this sort of bug?  Is there a DIRT member who gets traction for such issues?

#5 OFFLINE   thomasjk

thomasjk

Legend

• Registered
  • 381 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:51 AM

Just PM any of the DIRT folks listed here http://www.dbstalk.c...ct-information/

#6 OFFLINE   Stutz342

Stutz342

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 02:51 PM

Will do, thanks.

If I get any useful info I'll post it back here.

#7 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,933 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:00 PM

Blame the guide data.  Some events have incorrect episode numbers which cause missed shows.

An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#8 OFFLINE   Stutz342

Stutz342

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 08:18 PM

Blame the guide data.  Some events have incorrect episode numbers which cause missed shows.

I agree that this happens from time to time, but it is not the issue here.  The guide data clearly shows these to be the same episodes, but the Hopper won't pick up a matching, later showing of an automatically skipped showing.

For me it seems to be happening on all timers, (I think,) where other are seeing it only sometimes.

#9 OFFLINE   Beardedbosn

Beardedbosn

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 11:09 AM

I noticed the same thing for tonight's schedule when Suits on USA was skipped due to priority but the later multiple rebroadcasts were also skipped.  Guess I will have to review the conflicts as they show up each day.  Really a step back......

Edited by Beardedbosn, 03 April 2014 - 11:09 AM.

Chris & Judi, Retired Coast Guard, Fulltime RVers 3/93 to 12/07

#10 OFFLINE   BillJ

BillJ

Icon

• Registered
  • 826 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 06:05 AM

I never rely on the technology to do the right thing in this situation.  I always check the recording schedule to confirm the later episode will be recorded.  Usually it is but on occasion I have to restore the timer manually.  If you do miss something by accident, often you can view it online.

#11 OFFLINE   Ferguson

Ferguson

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:47 PM

I had always thought that if an event was set up for "new only" and was skipped by priority, it would still record later on a repeat.

It does not.

Did it before?   Is it supposed to? 

The attached screen shot is a clear example.  The "Silicon Vallue" in the middle is skipped by priority.  Subsequent showings (they are the same episode) are skipped by "not a new episode". 

Really? 

So one is supposed to check the schedule every day or few and resolve manually?   Sure would like all this fancy automation to do something really simple like that.  Or does it, and I'm doing something wrong?

Attached Thumbnails

• skip.jpg

Edited by Ferguson, 01 May 2014 - 05:49 PM.

#12 OFFLINE   Ferguson

Ferguson

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:53 PM

I just noticed this and had started a thread (http://www.dbstalk.c...ater-by-design/) before seeing this one.  In that thread I attached a screen shot clearly showing it skipping subsequent episodes as "not new" when it was scheduled to skip the first showing as "priority".

To BillJ, thanks... I get that there are ways to recover IF YOU NOTICE YOU MISSED IT.  But I think most of us buy this fancy technology so we don't have to remember and chase stuff up manually.  Basically you seem to be just saying "so it's broken, live with it".  Each to his own.

To the OP, did you PM the DIRT people as suggested, I have not.  But it sounds like this has perhaps been something new that has started, since multiple people are seeing it?

#13 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,691 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:22 PM

Duplicate thread merged.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#14 OFFLINE   Stutz342

Stutz342

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 92 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 07:19 PM

To the OP, did you PM the DIRT people as suggested, I have not.  But it sounds like this has perhaps been something new that has started, since multiple people are seeing it?

I did PM back-and-forth with a DIRT member, and we got as far as then submitting it to be worked on.  I don't know if that will get us anywhere or not.

I expect this is a "squeaky wheel" type of thing, so I imagine it would help for more people to report it.

#15 OFFLINE   Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Mike.H_DISHNetwork

Godfather

• DISH Representative
  • 301 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:17 AM

Hello,

I wanted to update the thread as to the latest with the Priority-Skipped events, they are working towards a resolution and it will come in a software update.

Thanks

Protected By... spam firewall...And...