Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Pictures issues on locals only??

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:32 AM

Or so it seems, but is that possible?

FWIW, I live in Northern California, a couple hours north of San Francisco. HR44 in the living room, HR24 in the bedroom. Last night, my wife had channel 7(ABC) on, and I saw the picture break up/pixelate pretty good a couple times, which once in a while doesn't bother me, but this happened a few times, so I went and turned the other tv on, that is fed by the HR24, put it on the same channel, and whenever it broke up, it was identical on both, pretty much ruling out the receiver. Figured it was most likely something with just that channel, and let it go at that.

A little while later, while watching channel 11(NBC), had the same behavior. Turned the other tv on again, same channel, and got the same results. Again, rules out one receiver, but now it's more than one channel, so the common denominator would have to be the LNB, splitter, maybe the power inserter??? That's what the process of elimination tells me anyway. I figured I'd see if it goes away, and if not, try one component at a time, and see if I can resolve it. I have a spare LNB and power inserter, and I'd probably change the cable from the LNB to the splitter, as it's easy, and it's the only cable that is out in the weather and whatnot.

Anyway....had channel 2 on a little later, and it was doing the same thing, so just for fun, since it seemed it couldn't go more than maybe 15 minutes without an issue, I tried watching Discovery HD. I watched a show on there for about 45 minutes, with no picture issues at all. I watched Ink Master earlier tonight, on Spike, again with no issues. I did watch a show on NBC tonight that was an hour long, with no issues, but a little while ago, I had it on channel 2 again, and saw the same behavior. Obviously there has to be a common denominator, as the two receivers exhibiting the same behavior rules out either tuner, but I'm wondering if there is any way it can be an issue with just the locals, as they come off the same satellite. But then, I'm sure other people would be bringing this up as well. I'm just throwing that out there, but I'd appreciate any input on this.

Thanks in advance!

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   slice1900

slice1900

AllStar

• Registered
  • 2,285 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 19 March 2014 - 02:47 AM

Well, one possibility is that Directv is feeding your locals to you with the pixellation already present - if they receive those channels via antenna, for instance, or it is happening somewhere else in the process of getting it to the site that uplinks it to the satellite.

Aside from that, I'm not aware of a problem which could cause only your locals to be affected. Your sample of other stations is rather small though, since you can certainly have problems that have a limited affect (like LNB problems that affect only one satellite / polarity) so you'd need to check more thoroughly before you could really conclude it was just your locals.

Since the PI is easiest to replace, I'd try that. If it doesn't work, then the LNB since that's probably most likely of the three, and finally the cable. If you have a neighbor with Directv maybe ask if they've noticed similar issues with locals - if they have then you can probably ignore it (or call Directv if it goes a few days and nothing improves)

SL5, PI-6S, SA-6AL 3xSWM16, 21 H20-100, 1 H20-600, 7 H24-700/AM21

#3 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:59 AM

Yeah, you're right about my sampling......the frequency of the issues on the locals the other night and what appeared to be the absence of the same issues on Discovery and Spike could merely be coincidental, and not a thorough enough sampling to e conclusive. I knew my "locals only" theory could be a bit of a stretch, but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

The LNB seems the most likely culprit to me too, since like you said, it can have an issue that affects one satellite, and that could be the issue right there.

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

#4 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 10:21 PM

nah... this is a directv thing...happens all over the place

cbs was being stupid for at least two months here, pixel and audio jitter about every 10 minutes, made watchign shows impossible was missing several seconds and words at at time.

All directv recievers were doing it. Several customers called me having the same issue. Dish net had no problems, all 3 cables companies had no problems with cbs either.

I even called into Directv several times during that 2 months and complained, told them it made me feel stupid installing a bunch of systems that immediatly didnt work and the customers even noticed while i was there installing that cbs was breaking up.

1st time i called in they claimed no such issues existed. 3 rd time i called in they said ya we know about it and it should be fixed, finally 2 months later its bakc to normal.

Had to use antenna for 2 months for cbs though....

Dish -- 722k, 722, 612, 512, 510

Directv -- HR34, HR24, 2 H25's, 2 H24's

#5 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 10:54 PM

Yeah......it has definitely almost disappeared, and I've done nothing. A few recorded shows had some of the issues I described, and I asked my wife "what night did this show record?", and she said "Monday night".....which was the night that prompted me to make the original post. I don't know for sure what it was/is, but for right now, it has at least toned way down, whereas the night I first posted about, it couldn't even go 15 minutes without something. Time will tell. :)

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

#6 OFFLINE   Salad Is Slaughter

Salad Is Slaughter

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 03:25 PM

I had someone out this weekend for this issue (freezing picture on locals - FOX being the worst one - while other networks fine) and couldn't find a problem with my equipment or signal strength. About 20 minutes after he left, his supervisor called and said that they had an email alert stating that SF Bay Area locals were having issues but that they should be resolved now.  The programs we recorded Friday and after have been good.

#7 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:01 AM

Yeah, I've seen this behavior here and there, but nothing like the night I originally posted about. Saw it a little on NBC last night.

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

#8 OFFLINE   Wolfmanjohn

Wolfmanjohn

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 03:22 PM

For the price of a PI and LNB, you can do a rooftop antenna if the topography is not too bad between you and Sutro tower.  My OTA antenna here in Chico not only bags me our pathetic locals, but Sacramento 95% of the time, as well.  Just a thought.

"You gonna love it to death, baby!"

spam firewall