Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Cloning an external 1tb to 2tb

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   larrylwill

larrylwill

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:46 AM

I know this has been discussed before. Although I can only find old threads. Im trying to clone a 1tb external HD to a 2TB and preserve the programs. I can take one of several partition programs and clone all 3 partitions to the 2tb but I end up with a 1tb on the 2tb. I can not expand the partition 3 (which contains the programs). I found an old thread where someone use an older version of gparted to clone it and was susful getting the 2tb partition to expand. However I cant get it to work. I have used gparted to expand several Tivo hard drives and preserve the programs, so Im not a total novices but I really do not understand linux. Does anyone know of a better way or maybe can see a problem with this procedure. Also in one line there is either a 0 xero or an o, I have tried both. It sometimes says successful but doesn't copy anything. I am sure I am using the correct drive sda3, sdb3 etc. Here is a copy of the procedure. It was written in 2011.

Try to do a graceful shutdown of your DVR through the menu system.

Unplug your old external drive from the DVR and plug in your blank new drive. Reboot the DVR and allow the DirecTV software to be loaded on the new drive.

After the DVR has booted up, follow the same steps as #1 above to shut down the DVR.

Unplug the new drive from the DVR. Download gparted from the link above and create a bootable CD or usb drive.

Install your old and new drives into a computer.

The instructions on dbstalk state to use SATA port 0 for your new drive and SATA port 1 for the old one, but I don't think it really matters as long as you know which one is which when it comes time to copying.

But if you can install the drives as stated above, I would recommend it so there is no confusion on the drive letters for the steps below.

Boot the computer from the CD or usb drive. Go to Devices from the gparted menu and make sure both of your drives are showing up.

If you used SATA port 0 for your new drive and SATA port 1 for the old one, then the new drive should show up as sda and the old one as sdb. If these are different, please note the drive number and substitute the appropriate drive letter for "a" or "b" instead of sda or sdb in the instructions below.

Double click on the Terminal Icon to open the terminal window. This will allow you to manually enter in some commands.

Type in mkdir /mnt/fap and press enter.

Type in mkdir /mnt/hr20 and press enter.

Type in mount -t xfs -o rtdev=/dev/sda3 /dev/sda2 /mnt/fap and press enter.

This is mounting your NEW drive, so make sure you change from sda to sd if your new drive was not listed as sda in step 9 above.

Type in mount -t xfs -o rtdev=/dev/sdb3 /dev/sdb2 /mnt/hr20 and press enter. This is mounting your OLD drive, so make sure you change from sdb to sd if your old drive was not listed as sdb in step 9 above.

Now the command instructions to copy all your data from one drive to another.

At the command prompt type in xfsdump -J - /mnt/hr20 | xfsrestore -J - /mnt/fap and press enter.

A whole bunch of stuff will scroll on the screen and the last thing it will say is restoring non-directory files.

Depending upon the amount of recordings you have, this step will take many hours.

Finally it finishes and a message is displayed that reads Restore Status: SUCCESS.

At the command prompt type in umount /mnt/hr20 and press enter.

At the command prompt type in umount /mnt/fap and press enter.

Type exit and press enter to close the terminal window. Double click on the Exit icon.

Click on Shutdown and OK. Remove the disc or usb drive and press enter.

Power should be shut off. Make sure the power is off. Unplug the PC if you are unsure.

After the power is shut off, remove the disks from your computer. Install the new disk into your external enclosure, plug it back into your DVR and reboot your DVR.

After it has booted up, you should have an exact copy of all the settings and recordings you had before with extra disk space.

Edited by larrylwill, 19 March 2014 - 12:50 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,890 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 19 March 2014 - 05:27 AM

Read this thread, you might be able to use the drive cloner and then a partition management program to do it very simply:

(I just used this device to clone a 2 TB to 2 TB drive and it worked perfectly, no computer needed. This was for an HR24-200 DVR)

If you go 1 to 2 tb, you get a target drive with 1 TB and have to use a utility to expand the partition on the target after you clone the original 1 TB drive.

There are several others who might comment on this, so wait for further replies and you should get a definitive answer on what I'm getting you started on.

http://www.dbstalk.c...ive-duplicator/

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#3 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,006 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 06:24 AM

You're not going to be able to "grow" the partition to the full 2TB.  The only way you're going to be able to achieve what you want is to use the steps you included in your post for using parted.  

What error are you getting when you try?  The most important part of the whole procedure is how you shutdown the unit that the 1TB drive is attached to.

And it's the letter o, not a zero.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#4 OFFLINE   larrylwill

larrylwill

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:11 AM

I have no problems cloning a drive its cloning to a bigger drive and using the extra space. 

RunnerFT:

Here are pictures of the whole procedure taken from the terminal on the gparted program. (the only way I know how to get a snapshot of the screen with this program)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Edited by larrylwill, 19 March 2014 - 09:23 AM.

#5 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,980 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:23 AM

I really do not understand linux

I have no problems cloning a drive its cloning to a bigger drive and using the extra space.

It's not a tivo, so drop your experience with tivo expanding.

Y0u must read and re-read that thread; it's polished in all aspects and working 100%. Actually your post belong there.

Edited by P Smith, 19 March 2014 - 09:23 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   larrylwill

larrylwill

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:10 AM

I would if I knew where the proper place and thread was located. Can you be a little more specific?

There are 6 DTV forums. Searching for "expanding an external drive", doesn't do it.

At the risk of getting slammed, Where is there?

#7 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,006 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:51 AM

larry,  your mount statements are wrong.  You should be mounting 2 partitions at one mount point.   You should have something like this "mount -t xfs -o rtdev=/dev/sdb3 /dev/sdb2 /mnt/fap".

Use this post as your guide: http://www.dbstalk.c...e/#entry1119210

And honestly, if you really "do not understand Linux" you may not want to even attempt this.  You could wind up hosing your 1TB and lose everything.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#8 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,980 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:52 AM

search for "copy ..."

#9 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,006 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:55 AM

search for "copy ..."

He'll get way to many results than he needs.  Please stop telling people to just search.  If you're not going to help the person you're replying to then don't reply.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#10 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,980 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:59 AM

it would be a puzzle if you did post an extort from proper thread "how-to" and cann't continue that relevant thread .. :shrug:

also, be aware what you typing (!);

for example: you're quoted "Type in mount -t xfs -o rtdev=/dev/sdc3 /dev/sdc2 /mnt/fap and press enter."

what you did: mount -t xfs -o rtdev=/dev/sdc3  /mnt/fap

see your mistake (actually not following a syntax of the cmd): missed /dev/sdc2

it's basic things ... be vigilant in the endeavor and please get into that thread

#11 OFFLINE   larrylwill

larrylwill

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:02 AM

Runner: I understand enough to know which drive and partition is which and not copy the new one to the old one.That was the instructions I found posted in another site, I followed exactly, like I said it was old and nobody posted after it.

Thank you for that thread. I could not find it.

Psmith, I want to copy and expand not just copy, but I suppose I knew that searching for copy an external hard drive would work.

Copy dtv external hard drive returned more than 1000 hits. That's the problem with search. With quotes returned nothing.

#12 OFFLINE   larrylwill

larrylwill

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:04 AM

P. Smith:

I tried it correct 2 days ago but I already have copied part 1 and part 2 with cloning software. For that matter I already had the 2tb with al 3 partitions and info copied. I had to delete Part 3 before I used gparted to copy and expand the 3rd part.

I only needed part 3 sdc3, so I left out sdc2.

#13 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,980 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:07 AM

You did not ! "I followed exactly," and I did show you one of your errors :shrug:

BTW say BIG THANKS to ppl who do the disservice start endless number of threads without looking around/searching and reading; that's why you got 1000 hits.That's a punishment for such behavior in public places.

OK, pick that thread where is 100s posts or more, then it will come no less then 10, then read main one (perhaps add in that criteria my nick)

Edited by P Smith, 19 March 2014 - 11:08 AM.

#14 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,006 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:08 AM

P. Smith:

I tried it correct 2 days ago but I already have copied part 1 and part 2 with cloning software. For that matter I already had the 2tb with al 3 partitions and info copied. I had to delete Part 3 before I used gparted to copy and expand the 3rd part.

The thing is though that the cloning method you previously used doesn't expand anything.  You'll need to go through that thread and start over.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#15 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,980 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:11 AM

P. Smith:

Start reading that thread!

You're missed SIGNIFICANT knowledge: why need to init a target drive in DVR(!), what is mean "EXACTLY" type a cmds; why it that ? [because you don't know syntax the cmd, because you don't UNDERSTAND a syntax of the cmd, :(]

Edited by P Smith, 19 March 2014 - 11:12 AM.

#16 OFFLINE   larrylwill

larrylwill

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:17 AM

RunnerFL:

I know that the 3rd part did not expand, and no cloning or partition copy software will expand the 3rd part. That's why I have to use Gparted. I agree the original instructions do not seem to work as listed, it came from another forum. I have not tried the one you graciously sent me. I will asap. Right now Im busy replying to P smith criticizing me for not searching, and at the same time changing a contactor on an IC handler, writing a new test program, building a new FT card and testing IC parts.

Im also expanding my test house and adding a new turn around parking slab in my spare time. I thought I could have saved some time by asking if someone could point me to the proper thread. You did and Im grateful. Im down to 8% on the 1tb.

thank you

#17 OFFLINE   larrylwill

larrylwill

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:21 AM

P Smith:

Thanks for the criticizing, I'm sure I'm missing a lot of significant knowledge. However I share mine not tell someone to look it up.

Next time you need to write a program for a LTX or Alpha tester or test some Integrated circuits. Ask me. Until then I wont be needing your less than helpful posts.

Edited by larrylwill, 19 March 2014 - 11:22 AM.

#18 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:28 AM

Hi larrylwill, for the record, its in the Tips and Resources sub-forum, and its really the only 100% surefire way currently to copy to a larger drive.

Here's the link if PSmith is done slapping you around:

http://www.dbstalk.c...photo-tutorial/

#19 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,980 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:28 AM

I would rather to write the program by myself ... gathering knowledge is one of the key of ppl who would success in endeavors. Developing something. Not coders.

I agree the original instructions do not seem to work as listed

that would be one of the key of you fiasco: these instructions are polished and works for 100s ppl who did follow our site original thread(s).

However I share mine not tell someone to look it up.

I did that from beginning of the process, I did share it before it start using. I did share it as an idea before anyone who asked for it.

Edited by P Smith, 19 March 2014 - 11:30 AM.

#20 OFFLINE   larrylwill

larrylwill

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:38 AM

CCarncross:

Most helpful, Thank you very much. 

P. Smith, in the first place I did not even know this four existed until I used google to find it. This is not my first line of work or even hobby, its a one time thing, and I have other work to do. I just wanted to expand to the 2tb without sending it off to weeknees. However I have spent more time responding to you than actually doing anything constructive. You must have nothing else to do. 

2 helpful people pointed me in the right direction and them I thank, you, not so much. So be gone! Troll. Your title, Mr. Fixanything, you need to fix your attitude first.

I have to get back to real work. I have emails to answer from Germany about a new project. For which I cant look up, I have to invent and use prior knowledge.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...