Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New NBC Shows Pixellating/Freezing

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   pappasbike

pappasbike

Godfather

• Registered
  • 472 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 06:56 AM

This issue is very confusing. Several of the new shows on NBC, specifically Growing Up Fisher, Believe, and About A Boy, are having frequent but intermittent episodes of breakup and freezing. Sometimes it looks like the picture is "rubber banding" - moving forward, bouncing back with a pixellated picture and breakup of audio. 

I watch NBC in Baltimore, MD. on WBAL channel 11. I've contacted the station as well as submitted a report to Directv. As far as I can tell the issue is only happening on those specific shows on NBC. I'm not seeing this on any other network or on any other shows so I don't think this is specific to my equipment, an HR 34 with 0x7e5. I don't know if this an issue with the local station or with Directv. One week the episodes were broadcast without issue but every other week the issue has persisted. I generally watch these shows the next day by the recordings, so that's when I see the issue which occurs several times during the recording but does not prevent watching the episode, I just fast forward past that segment.

One week to check if this was occurring during the broadcasts as well as the recording I watched those shows live and checked the recordings. I did not see the issue on either that week. But it's persisted since. Again I'm only seeing it happen during those specific shows and only on NBC. Is anyone else seeing something similar?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,416 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:55 AM

I haven't had issues with these shows (though have one on my DVR) but oddly, this is almost exactly like issues I had on NBC with Olympics and the hockey game at Soldier Field. At first I thought with the Olympics it was just due to the feed, but it happened at times where that wouldn't be an issue.

I never had an issue with anything else on the same channel.

#3 OFFLINE   pappasbike

pappasbike

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 472 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:05 AM

I don't remember now whether I saw anything similar during the Olympics. But I'm currently watching other shows that were recorded recently on NBC and there aren't any issues. It's only those 3 shows that I'm seeing this on that's why I think it's some network ( Directv, NBC or local ) problem. But unless I can get someone else to verify it, I'm kinda stuck. Next week I'm going to set those programs to also record on the SD channel as well and see if it happens there. I'm not usually up watching tv when they air, although the one night I did watch the problem didn't occur. I spoke to someone at Directv and ran through all the diagnostics and signal strength tests and nothing was amiss. If it were my equipment I would expect to see an issue with more than just those 3 shows.

#4 OFFLINE   thewolfman

thewolfman

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:40 AM

I've had the same issue on NBC.  It seems to happen when there is a great deal of movement on the program, as if the DVR can't handle the amount of data, very weird.  I have an HR34 as well, running the latest CE release on it.

Live and Learn.................

#5 OFFLINE   pappasbike

pappasbike

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 472 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:50 AM

I can't relate it to any motion. I follow and watch several NBC shows both in the am and pm, recorded and live, and it's only these 3 that this occurs on. I'm intrigued by it since these 3 are brand new series for this half of the season. None of their other series has this occur.

#6 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,498 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:52 AM

You'll find several threads here about this "pixelation" issue with some HR34's in a few NBC markets.   So far, the only sure-fire cure, is replacing the HR34 with an HR44.  But it's often not easy to convince DirecTV to do that. 

HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#7 OFFLINE   pappasbike

pappasbike

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 472 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:06 PM

I can't convince myself of that. Since it's only the same 3 shows on the same network it doesn't make sense to me that it's equipment related. The shows are watchable I just have to ff through the recordings. If it worsens to all NBC shows I'll try to escalate the issue with DTV. One of the shows has even changed time slots so it's not even time or day related, it's show related.

I'm no expert so maybe it is related to the equipment but since it only involves 3 of the hundreds of episodes we record and watch I doubt I could convince anyone of that.

#8 OFFLINE   pappasbike

pappasbike

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 472 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:13 PM

I haven't had issues with these shows (though have one on my DVR) but oddly, this is almost exactly like issues I had on NBC with Olympics and the hockey game at Soldier Field. At first I thought with the Olympics it was just due to the feed, but it happened at times where that wouldn't be an issue.

I never had an issue with anything else on the same channel.

Now that I've been thinking about it, I believe we did have some issues with the Olympics coverage but nothing else at the time. That makes me even more inclined to believe it involves either DTV's or NBC's equipment.

#9 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,498 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 19 March 2014 - 05:32 PM

Yeah, do a search here and you'll find the threads I'm talking about.   Some NBC stations in a few cities seem to have an encoder/decoder issue with some HR34's.   It's not a common problem, and it's been happening for a long time.   The only known sure-fire cure is replacing the HR34 with an HR44.   

HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#10 OFFLINE   pappasbike

pappasbike

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 472 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 06:10 PM

I've set the 3 shows to also record on my other dvr, an HR 22. I'll be able to compare both next week and see if it's the 34 or not.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

#11 OFFLINE   bpratt

bpratt

Godfather

• Registered
  • 574 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 19 March 2014 - 06:29 PM

I've set the 3 shows to also record on my other dvr, an HR 22. I'll be able to compare both next week and see if it's the 34 or not.

When I first got my HR44 I kept my two HR21s for backup.  A few months ago the HR44s were also having this problem but the shows on the HR21s were OK.  My HR44 is now on version 0x0808 and I never see any pixilation or freezing problems any more so I think it must just be the HR34s.

I hope I didn't just jinx myself!!!

HR10-250   550G WD  6.4a
HR21-700   750G WD x087f AM21
HR21-700 2000G WD x087f AM21
HR44-500 2000G WD x0870
DirecTV since 1997

#12 OFFLINE   pappasbike

pappasbike

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 472 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 06:54 PM

That's also one reason I'm waiting to see how this works out. I haven't had an HR that hasn't had a lot of issues, the 21s were the worst of the bunch. I don't think the 44s are really any better than the 34s, different problems maybe but still a lot of issues. What you said about software also makes me think that if the problem is on my end it also maybe software, since these 3 shows all premiered about the time of this last software release in February. Maybe coincidence maybe not. Regardless we're only talking about 3 shows on one network out of dozens ( hundreds? ) that we watch. I wouldn't go through the pain of replacing a receiver and setting up everything again just for that.

Anyway I'll know next week if the 22 exhibits the same issue. If it does then it's NBC and DTV's problem. If not, it's tolerable.

#13 OFFLINE   pappasbike

pappasbike

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 472 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 06:45 AM

Yeah, do a search here and you'll find the threads I'm talking about.   Some NBC stations in a few cities seem to have an encoder/decoder issue with some HR34's.   It's not a common problem, and it's been happening for a long time.   The only known sure-fire cure is replacing the HR34 with an HR44.   

I'm updating this issue. As I suspected I believe this was software related. Since my 34 received the 808 software the problem NBC shows are recording and playing back without issue. No 44 needed. So for me 808 solved this or DTV finally got their act together.

#14 OFFLINE   zinger1457

zinger1457

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 01:51 PM

I've continued to have problems, even with the 808 update.  Seems like I have to restart my received almost everyday, often times it shows disk errors when doing the receiver self check during startup.  Yesterday I lost about 1/3 of my recorded programs after I did the red button restart.

Edited by zinger1457, 31 March 2014 - 01:52 PM.

#15 OFFLINE   pappasbike

pappasbike

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 472 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 02:03 PM

That sounds like a bad drive. You should call in and get them started on checking it. Might need to be replaced.

#16 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,483 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 31 March 2014 - 05:21 PM

I've continued to have problems, even with the 808 update.  Seems like I have to restart my received almost everyday, often times it shows disk errors when doing the receiver self check during startup.  Yesterday I lost about 1/3 of my recorded programs after I did the red button restart.

That sounds like a bad drive. You should call in and get them started on checking it. Might need to be replaced.

Yep, I second this, any hard drive errors is not a good sign.  Best to replace right away

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#17 OFFLINE   tutman

tutman

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:36 AM

I have been having this same problem for some time on my HR34.  Only has happened on local channels (but we don't record much else).  I have the protection plan, and was just now due for free upgrade on equipment.  I figured I would be able to upgrade to an HR44.  NOT!  DirecTV didn't mention until I tried to upgrade, that I wasn't eligible to get the upgrade to an HR44, since the HR34 is also a current model.  WTF???  So they transferred me (again) to technical support.

They had me run the normal tests...no problems found.

Then after the support person "talked with a supervisor", they came back and had me turn OFF 1080p.  They think that the programs having issues might be broadcast in 1080p.  By telling my DVR that my TV doesn't support 1080p, they think it will record it in 1080i.  At least that is their theory.  They want to "see" if this resolves the issue.  We have noticed the issue on CBS Survivor, NBC Saturday Night Live, and NBC Late Night.  Yes, it only happens when there is a lot of movement.  Rebooting the DVR prior to the recording seems to solve the issue too.

I assume that the HR44 is faster than the HR34.  The support person told me that HR44 and HR34 run the exact same software.  (Really???)  If this is in fact related to 1080p, then I assume different encoder/decoders and faster processors would solve the issue.  So maybe there is some truth that HR44 resolves the issue.  But why does restarting the receiver prior to the recording fix it?  Does this just eliminate memory fragmentation?

According to the support person, there is no way to determine if a recording is made in 1080p, 1080i, or any other resolution.  I would like to help determine if 1080p is the cause.  The support person said that different stations, and even different programs from the same station are broadcast in different resolutions.

#18 OFFLINE   tutman

tutman

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:51 AM

I'm updating this issue. As I suspected I believe this was software related. Since my 34 received the 808 software the problem NBC shows are recording and playing back without issue. No 44 needed. So for me 808 solved this or DTV finally got their act together.

I have the 808 software as well.  Hopefully it fixes the issue.  Because you think that 808 solves it, I have enabled 1080p again and am setting my DVR to record one local program at a time for prime-time through late night.  I'll just go back and review these programs quickly to see if any pixelation problems exist.  Until you hear from me again, I have not had any more issues since 808.  If I do have issues, I'll disable 1080p and test again.

#19 OFFLINE   pappasbike

pappasbike

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 472 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 11:00 AM

Getting a 44 wouldn't resolve the issue, as some others have posted that they've seen the same or similar issues on their 44s. One has posted that the 808 software seemed to resolve it on his 44. 808 resolved it on my 34 for the shows I had been complaining about on NBC. However I'm watching another NBC show that I never had an issue with and there is some intermittent breakup. Not too bad though. This does seem to be related to DTV's software which is the same for both genie models. Very few network shows ( if any ) are broadcast in 1080p so disabling that wouldn't really do anything. I think DTV is still trying to figure this out. The software prior to 808 was installed on my box in the middle of February then 808 comes out a month later. That's a pretty damn fast release. I didn't have a problem till the February release and most of that has been fixed by 808 but obviously there are still issues. Swapping boxes because of this is like using the shotgun to kill a fly, a big pain in the ass and you're still left with problems.

Of course you could just watch/record the shows in SD instead of HD, that seems to be the only surefire cure. But otherwise just keep reporting what you're seeing and hopefully they'll fix their equipment or software eventually. I don't know how bad the problem is for you but as I said 808 fixed 90% of it for me. 

#20 OFFLINE   ToBeFrank

ToBeFrank

Legend

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 06:05 PM

We've had this problem on our HR34 for the last couple of months. It only occurs on NBC, and we don't watch any of the shows the OP mentioned so it's on different shows. I can't recall if I've seen it lately though. It looks like I got 808 on 3/12. Personally, I think it's a software problem. Our HR34 worked flawlessly until a few months ago. Since then it's dog slow, and we've had this pixelation problem. I feel like I'm back to the HR20 I had before this.

spam firewall