Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Up Grading to Genie - HR44

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jackm

jackm

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 06:59 AM

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I can't seem to find the correct answer.  I would like to upgrade to the Genie - HR44, I'm not sure if I have to purchase it through Solid Signal, or if I need to purchase it through directv.  I have been a customer of them for over 10 years...and have never asked for an upgrade.  My confusion is - with the Genie receiver, what other equipment do I need.  I thought I read something they has a piece of equipment that will let you send the Genie Signal Wireless to any TV in your house - If that is the case is there any other equipment that I need for each TV?  I'm not sure what I'm going to need.  I have whole house DVR - Slim Dish - etc...I think I have everything I need and can probably hook it up myself.  Thanks for any help and information.  And which receiver is better the HR44 or the HR34?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,057 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 19 March 2014 - 07:19 AM

You'll probably get a better deal by calling DirecTV, but you could get either an HR34 or HR44 Genie. If you obtain it through Solid Signal you would be guaranteed an HR44.

The Genie can support up to 3 client devices simultaneously. Those can either be the C31 or C41 Genie Client, or certain models of TV sets that have RVU built in. There is a C41 wireless client that has very recently been released, but I would strongly argue to go wired to every location if it is at all possible.  But every TV does have to either be it's own RVU client or have a client at that location (and every active client location is charged the monthly additional TV fee).

You already have whole-home, but what you will need will depend on which components of your existing system you keep, and which you replace. I would again recommend probably keeping most of what you have and only replacing one item with the Genie. Tell us what your current system consists of and we can offer more suggestions.

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,133 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:27 AM

And if you go through DirecTV, the best chance at getting a 44 is to have them come out and install it.

For a better chance at a good experience, request a morning window.

#4 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:29 AM

You can use the Genie with any HD DVRs or receivers so the Genie itself is all you need. If Directv sends an installer he will almost certainly have an HR 44 which is a newer and improved unit. If you have had the protection plan for 2 years or more it's all free and if not they still might be willing to make some kind of a deal. Call and ask.

#5 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:30 AM

And if you go through DirecTV, the best chance at getting a 44 is to have them come out and install it.

For a better chance at a good experience, request a morning window.

You type faster than I do.

#6 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,486 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:00 AM

Unless you need wireless in a new location in your house, you're probably better off with a wired solution.  Also, if you get a Genie you DON'T need to replace any other existing equipment with the Genie Clients (wired or wireless).  You can keep the equipment that you already have and it will all play nicely together.  Since you already have at least one HD DVR, I would absolutely keep it (them).  IMO, there is no good reason for giving up recordable tuners.  I recommend replacing the "worst" receiver that you currently have with a Genie.

Also, installing a Genie yourself may not be as simple as you think.  If adding a Genie takes you from 8 tuners or less to over 8 tuners, the LNB on your dish will need to be changes and a SWM16 multiswitch will need to be added to your system.  Even if you do want to undertake this task yourself, there will be a cost involved.  If a DirecTV tech does it, it will be included.  Even if they do charge you a $49 installation fee, that is less than the cost of the LNB and SWM16.

#7 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,441 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:21 AM

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I can't seem to find the correct answer. I would like to upgrade to the Genie - HR44, I'm not sure if I have to purchase it through Solid Signal, or if I need to purchase it through directv. I have been a customer of them for over 10 years...and have never asked for an upgrade. My confusion is - with the Genie receiver, what other equipment do I need. I thought I read something they has a piece of equipment that will let you send the Genie Signal Wireless to any TV in your house - If that is the case is there any other equipment that I need for each TV? I'm not sure what I'm going to need. I have whole house DVR - Slim Dish - etc...I think I have everything I need and can probably hook it up myself. Thanks for any help and information. And which receiver is better the HR44 or the HR34?

Let's start at the beginning, what do you have now? Number of tvs? Number if cables going to the back if each box you have now?

#8 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,022 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 20 March 2014 - 10:24 AM

How else could you get a Genie from DIRECTV?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,559 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 20 March 2014 - 11:31 AM

Authorized dealers like SS, perhaps

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#10 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,486 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:45 PM

People who already have SWM and will remain at 8 tuners or less have reported that DirecTV have sent them Genies for self install.

#11 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:01 AM

Don't they ship them?

#12 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,559 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 21 March 2014 - 11:24 AM

Don't they ship them?

see post #10

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...