Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Anyone remember HD Radio?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:44 AM

Does anyone remember HD Radio? I remember hearing commercials on it a while ago. Yet, when I was doing some research on a replacement car, I am more likely to see a car equipped with a satellite radio receiver than with a HD radio receiver. Wasn't this supposed to be a digital version of radio?

"In an effort to increase your cable and satellite bills beyond the point of affordability and to further pad the pockets of our executives..."
Check out my list of links.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,802 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 21 March 2014 - 06:58 AM

HD radio is still around > http://hdradio.com

#3 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 868 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:40 AM

Sirius pays car manufacturers to include satellite radio in their cars, and nobody does the same for HD radio.

In some models, HD is included. In some others, you can add the option for HD or satellite for a few hundred dollars.

HD radio was the industry response to satellite and streaming music options, but most people just don't care about it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DBSTalk mobile app

#4 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:47 AM

HD Radio is still out there. It's not as common, but I've seen it in a number of rental cars.The big benefit at the moment is that if you are listening to a station with an HD simulcast, it will switch over when it can. 

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#5 OFFLINE   Jim148

Jim148

Godfather

• Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 07:49 AM

I have some HD radios.  They are a digital modulation standard on the broadcast bands.  We do discuss it on AVS Forums from time to time.

http://www.avsforum.com/f/154/hd-radio

#6 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,175 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:02 AM

My 2014 Honda CR-V has both XM and HD radio.  My Denon AVR-1911 also has HD radio.  There are many HD radio channels in my area.

#7 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,085 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 21 March 2014 - 08:39 AM

Wifes 2013 Audi has HD + XM/Sirius radio.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#8 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,307 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:24 AM

I like it a lot. Glad for the link above, which led me to download an app for finding more stations in HD. I like the soundtracks name and artist.

My car has it and a trial Sirius, the latter dropped like a hot potato when the trial was up. Even their traffic info is poor. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#9 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,175 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:51 AM

I keep XM radio in the car because I drive the I-77 corridor frequently, and with AM or FM radio, every time I go around a curve I have to search for a new radio station.  In many areas along that route, I am lucky to find even one station, and more often than not, it is not something I want to listen to.  Around town, I rarely listen to XM, but it is nice to have when I am on the road.

#10 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,409 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 21 March 2014 - 11:31 AM

I like the soundtracks name and artist.

The same information is often available on conventional radio stations with modern car stereos using the RBDS protocol. My 2005 Lincoln factory car stereo gives artist and title information for many of my local FM stations.

http://en.wikipedia....dio_Data_System

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#11 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,489 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 21 March 2014 - 01:56 PM

I have had an Insignia HD radio tuner in my bedroom home theater system for a few years. Unfortunately, Best Buy withdrew it from their stores. I also have a Kenwood HD radio in my Hyundai Santa Fe, having swapped out the original radio (which had XM). There are quite a few stations broadcasting HD radio in the Charlotte area, some with as many as 3 different program channels. Most of the time, I listen to WFAE HD1, which broadcasts jazz 24/7.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Samsung UN60F7100 60" LED 3D TV; Samsung  BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray DVD player; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVo Roamio Plus DVR, Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player.
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#12 OFFLINE   4HiMarks

4HiMarks

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,357 posts
  • LocationLaurel, MD

Posted 21 March 2014 - 02:48 PM

I had one of those Insignia shelf systems too. The tuner went south on it though. I do still have an HD tuner in my Denon 3311, and had it on a Kenwood aftermarket unit in my old car that I pulled and gave to a friend when I sold it. I also have a little POS portable thing about the size of an oreo, but it didn't work very well, and the battery only lasts a day or so.

Ford was supposed to have a deal to put HD tuners as standard equipment in every vehicle made after around 2008, but that lasted less than a year, as my 2009 Escape doesn't have one. I think you can get it as an upgrade though.

Dish subscriber since 2000, HD since 2004.

#13 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,825 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:32 PM

I keep XM radio in the car because I drive the I-77 corridor frequently, and with AM or FM radio, every time I go around a curve I have to search for a new radio station.  In many areas along that route, I am lucky to find even one station, and more often than not, it is not something I want to listen to.  Around town, I rarely listen to XM, but it is nice to have when I am on the road.

Without satellite radio - in areas like that - we get out the MP3 player and hook it up to the car stereo.

You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#14 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 21 March 2014 - 11:27 PM

In all the 2013 cars that I had checked, practically all of them now include a 3.5mm audio input jack for hooking up a external audio device. Some also included Bluetooth, although I don't know if it was just for the phone functions or if it was actually for the audio.

"In an effort to increase your cable and satellite bills beyond the point of affordability and to further pad the pockets of our executives..."
Check out my list of links.

#15 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,909 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 22 March 2014 - 07:37 AM

HD Radio didn't get traction because the radios or adapters were (are) expensive and it just wasn't enough improvement - particularly in a car to justify the cost.

Our 2012 Leaf (EV) had XM, USB and 3.5mm jack in addition to Bluetooth for both audio and phone functions.  We just traded for a 2014 and it has all the above and a screen for Pandora (from the smartphone).

We loaded up an old iPod and leave it connected to the usb or BT to the phones.

With Apples recent CarPlay announcement puts most of the functions of the iPhone on the dashboard.

http://www.techhive....-this-year.html

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#16 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,307 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 22 March 2014 - 07:58 AM

M-B has had full functionality of iPhones/pods for several years, both Bluetooth and USB connections. I am not sure if CarPlay will add anything or not!  There's also a 3.5 jack, but I've never needed it and don't see that I will. 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#17 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,311 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 22 March 2014 - 04:41 PM

My barber listens to KJZZ-HD1, the Long Beach jazz public radio station, with an HD radio. Much better reception than the regular FM channel.

I listen to KJZZ-HD2 on my iPod Touch using the iHeart Radio app. They play "vocal jazz" 24 hours a day and don't even stop for pledge breaks. No announcers, just an occasional station ID.

Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#18 OFFLINE   B Newt

B Newt

Icon

• Registered
  • 697 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 05:37 PM

HD radio is so much better than FM. Sounds better and reception is better. Also get the song tags when music plays.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

HR20-100 s/w version 0x192
au9 dish NO multiswitch or diplexers.
Internet connection via WIFI.

#19 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 07:57 PM

All 3 of the fords(2013) I own/lease have HD radio in them and all of the fords I rent when I travel have it.

#20 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 03:46 AM

HD radio really messes up the analog bands!! (Especially at night)

This stuff SHOULD NOT BE ON AM AT ALL!! (.53 to 1.7Mhz)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...