Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Samsung Smart TV picture quality is terrible

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   F1aReD

F1aReD

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 08:33 AM

Hi,

I just recently purchased a 40" Samsung Smart TV, 120Hz LED (NOT 3D) to upgrade our bedroom tv (a Philips LCD). We have a 55" Samsung Smart TV in our living room that has amazing picture quality, so I didn't hesitate to buy another Samsung for the bedroom but.....

The picture quality is TERRIBLE. Even though it's 120Hz, it looks like a 60Hz and the contrast downright sucks. It's blotchy and pixelated, and the color is off. It doesn't look much better than our old LCD, and I paid almost $700 for it!

I've switched all the settings on the receiver, made sure it was on 1080, etc. Is there anything that would cause this? (like the HDMI cable?)  I'll try to tweak the settings tonight, but if I can't get it to look good I plan on returning it.

Also, for the first week of ownership it randomly switched sources in the middle of watching TV...but it doesn't do it now? (And no I wasn't sitting on the remote, lol)

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,127 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 22 March 2014 - 09:07 AM

Adjusting settings should be the 1st thing you did. There's likely recommended settings available online, like at CNet or AVSforum.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   Chuck W

Chuck W

Icon

• Registered
  • 824 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 12:00 PM

What is the model number?

If it's a UN40F6300 or 6350, have a look in this threadt at avsforums: http://www.avsforum....v-owners-thread

I know that different internal panels make a big difference, although I thought the 40's were pretty solid. It was the bigger sets that had bigger variances.

As an FYI, I have a UN40F6300 with a Samsung built internal panel and it's a fantastic picture.

Edited by Chuck W, 22 March 2014 - 12:00 PM.

Directv since 1999

Current Equipment:

HR34-700 -> Onkyo TX-SR607 -> Sony 40" KDL40XBR4
HR24-500 -> Denon AVR-X2000 -> Samsung 40" UN40F6300

HR24-500 -> Sony NSZ-GT1 with Google TV -> LG 32" 32LD450
HR20-700 -> Insignia 26" NS-26L450A11

#4 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,343 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 22 March 2014 - 12:25 PM

Hi,

The picture quality is TERRIBLE. Even though it's 120Hz, it looks like a 60Hz (

what makes you think 120 is better, as a matter of fact I would start by turning any advanced features off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#5 OFFLINE   F1aReD

F1aReD

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 12:47 PM

I'm not sure what the model# is, I'll have to look when I get home. That's an interesting thread on avsforums, little confused though...I'll have to go through it again.

Isn't 120 Hz supposed to be better than 60Hz? I see a difference at home and at stores...not as pixelated at all. My living room tv (Samsung 55" LED smart tv, 3D, 120Hz) has amazing picture quality out of the box, best quality I have seen on any other tv anywhere.

The only setting I turned off was the "econo" light or whatever, the one that dims the tv depending on the light in the room. It looked like someone was turning a flashlight on and off.

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,343 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 12:49 PM

since 120 is not natural it tends to add artifacts to the picture

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#7 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 807 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 22 March 2014 - 01:50 PM

120 HZ is supposed to greatly reduce fast motion blur [ like in sports]

Believe it or not, it could very well be the 3D capability on your 55" that makes the difference.

post your exact model number.

sigma's right, try the TV's settings first, if you can't get a better picture, you need to rethink this.

Oh, and a TV should NOT" randomly" do anything. If you notice this again during the return period, take it back.

chris

#8 OFFLINE   F1aReD

F1aReD

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 08:52 PM

The model # is UN40F5500AF.

I've been watching TV on it tonight, and it does look terrible haha. I don't know if "pixelated" is the right word for it...but it looks terrible especially around the lines of logos or words. Maybe blotchy is the right word? It's all chewed up around logos and letters and stuff.

This is all on Directv, I know blu ray would probably look better but I mostly watch regular TV...I've been comparing it to my 55", and that TV isn't pixelated or chewed up at all. It looks perfect. Maybe if you stare at it very closely you'll see some pixilation, but you can't help that it's just D*.

On the 40", you don't have to stare it's right in your face.

#9 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,127 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 23 March 2014 - 06:52 AM

Try these settings

Movie Mode
BL 10
Contrast 98
Brightness 48
Sharp 0
Color 50
Tint G52/R48
Picture Size: Screen Fit
Color Space: Native
White Balance:
25, 25, 21, 20, 25, 36
Gamma -2
Color Temp: Warm 2

Everything else 0 or off

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#10 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,127 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:02 AM

Or for each mode...

Option - Dynamic - Standard - Movie

Backlight - 20 - 20 - 20

Contrast - 88 - 90 - 100

Brightness - 51 - 45 - 45

Sharpness - 0 - 0 - 0

Color - 50 - 50 - 50

Tint (G/R) - G50/R50 - G50/R50 - G50/R50

Dynamic Contrast - NA*1 - Off - Off

Black Tone - NA*1 - Off - Off

Flesh Tone - NA*1 - 0 - 0

Color Space - NA*1 - Auto - Auto

R Offset - NA*1 - 25 - 25

G Offset - NA*1 - 25 - 25

B Offset - NA*1 - 25 - 25

R Gain - NA*1 - 25 - 34

G Gain - NA*1 - 25 - 34

B Gain - NA*1 - 25 - 34

Gamma - NA*1 - 0 - 0

Motion Lighting - NA*1 - Off - Off

Color Temperature - Standard - Standard - Standard

Size - Acc. to Input Resolution - Acc. to Input Resolution - Acc. to Input Resolution

Digital Clean View - Off - Off - Off

MPEG Noise Filter - Off - Off - Off

HDMI Black Level - NA*2 - NA*2 - NA*2

Film Mode - Off - Off - Off

LED Motion - Off - Off - Off

(*1)The Advanced Settings are not available in Dynamic mode.

(*2)When inputting unprocessed YCbCr4:2:2 HDTV, Blu-ray, and DVD sources, HDMI black level is not available.

#11 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,844 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:25 AM

I've been watching TV on it tonight, and it does look terrible haha. I don't know if "pixelated" is the right word for it...but it looks terrible especially around the lines of logos or words. Maybe blotchy is the right word? It's all chewed up around logos and letters and stuff.

This is all on Directv, I know blu ray would probably look better but I mostly watch regular TV...I've been comparing it to my 55", and that TV isn't pixelated or chewed up at all. It looks perfect. Maybe if you stare at it very closely you'll see some pixilation, but you can't help that it's just D*.

I have a Samsung 46" that is 120hz. For a long time I was having a problem with it while I was watching CNBC and the stock prices scrolling across the bottom of the screen. They were jerky and hard to read. I tried all setting in the DTV receiver and my TV settings. My Vizio was not doing the jerking so I knew it was not what was coming from the satellite.

Finally I turned the 120 hz OFF and instantly the numbers and letters scrolling on the screen were smooth.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#12 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,844 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:44 AM

Hi,

I just recently purchased a 40" Samsung Smart TV, 120Hz LED (NOT 3D) to upgrade our bedroom tv (a Philips LCD). We have a 55" Samsung Smart TV in our living room that has amazing picture quality, so I didn't hesitate to buy another Samsung for the bedroom but.....

The picture quality is TERRIBLE. Even though it's 120Hz, it looks like a 60Hz and the contrast downright sucks. It's blotchy and pixelated, and the color is off. It doesn't look much better than our old LCD, and I paid almost $700 for it!

I've switched all the settings on the receiver, made sure it was on 1080, etc. Is there anything that would cause this? (like the HDMI cable?)  I'll try to tweak the settings tonight, but if I can't get it to look good I plan on returning it.

Also, for the first week of ownership it randomly switched sources in the middle of watching TV...but it doesn't do it now? (And no I wasn't sitting on the remote, lol)

I run my TV with it set to Dynamic mode and then adjust the brightness and backlighting and color intensity down from there. If you look at the specs they all brag about the Dynamic Contrast. If you are not in Dynamic Mode you do not get that benefit. On my TV those settings for Black levels, etc. are grayed out when it is on Standard or Movie modes.

If the Sharpness is set to high it makes the picture very grainy. If the color is too high it almost creates a glow and bleed over effect for me. I have my Sharpness down to 20 and the Color to 42, the Backlight is on 85 and the Brightness is 50 and the Contrast is 85.

All TVs and all settings are different for each user. Where ever suits your eye the best.

My friend got a 55" Samsung LED recently. I was over to her house and she was bragging on how good her TV picture was. I told her to get a pen and paper. We then scrolled thru the available settings and she wrote down what they were. I then adjusted it. The first thing I did was turn on Dynamic mode and then reduce color, backlighting, brightness, color and sharpness. She then called her husband from the next room to come see what I had done to their TV picture. Both were very happy with it.

I also carried a center speaker for the system to go with the 2 external speakers she was using. Hooked it up to the Yamaha AVR and set it for the surround sound, etc.

Then we played the same thing back and she was thrilled with the surround sound.

Edited by jimmie57, 23 March 2014 - 07:46 AM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#13 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:52 AM

Take it back and buy a 6000 series.

I went through the same thing with a Similar Samsung

Except it was a 55 inch.

I took it right back and Bought a UN55FH6030 3D  (Not Smart TV).  And for $850 , Nothing I mean NOTHING compares to the PQ in that price range..

Only thing I wish it had more HDMI plugs.

And with over 300 reviews and only 10 under 3 stars from BestBuy. I would say its a very good model.

And they do make a 40 inch version.

http://www.samsung.c.../UN40FH6030FXZA

But if you Still prefer a Smart tv.

Then a 6300 is what you want.

But I have Rokus and LG 3D smart Blu ray. So internet ready tv isn't really required in my house.

Edited by damondlt, 23 March 2014 - 08:09 AM.

Blue Ridge Communticatons

HD Basic Plus, HBO, Cinemax,Starz /Encore

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus analog Bedroom 5 and 6

G15 Internet

#14 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,343 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:25 AM

120 HZ is supposed to greatly reduce fast motion blur [ like in sports]

you said it right, "supposed to" while you may see some benefits on sports channels they same may not be true for regular content

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#15 OFFLINE   F1aReD

F1aReD

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 06:33 PM

I tried a blu ray with the TV today, it looked damn near perfect, just a little grainy...It was probably just the movie though. Could it be something to do with my receiver or wiring? I went to Best Buy today and talked with someone about the 5500, he said they weren't great TV's in general but should look pretty good.

I'm not sure where they get there content from, but there's looked ALOT better than mine. The guy thought I was a total noob, asked if I was even watching HD or if I just "had the coaxial cable plugged in the back"...ha ha.

#16 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,127 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 23 March 2014 - 06:38 PM

So you just won't try the settings huh?

#17 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 23 March 2014 - 06:58 PM

Did you buy the tv just because your other Samsung looks good?  Most of the tv manufacturer's make several model lines of tv's, sometimes ranging from crap to excellent, and with price tags to match.  Where does that model fit in Samsung's line-up?

• damondlt likes this

#18 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 807 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:21 PM

I tried a blu ray with the TV today, it looked damn near perfect, just a little grainy...It was probably just the movie though. Could it be something to do with my receiver or wiring? I went to Best Buy today and talked with someone about the 5500, he said they weren't great TV's in general but should look pretty good.

I'm not sure where they get there content from, but there's looked ALOT better than mine. The guy thought I was a total noob, asked if I was even watching HD or if I just "had the coaxial cable plugged in the back"...ha ha.

Ya know, Sig went through the bother to post all those settings, the least you could do is try them, unless of course you intend on watching BD forever, haha.

If they don't work for you, think about what damondlt posted.

BB clerks would be my last choice for advice. At least the BB in my area.

Did you try what J57 suggested? Pretty much hands on stuff.

Edited by satcrazy, 23 March 2014 - 07:27 PM.

• damondlt and sigma1914 like this

chris

#19 OFFLINE   F1aReD

F1aReD

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:35 PM

I am going to try the settings, I just haven't yet...I wanted to see what the blu ray would look like. I will be honest and say that I don't think changing the settings is going to do anything for the pixilation....but I did intend on trying them at least.

CCarncross, that is the only reason I bought it. I have a "Samsung SmartTV" that looks awesome, so I figured I'd buy another "Samsung SmartTV"..but I'm kind of disappointed. I'm not really sure where it falls in the model's, but I think it's on the lower end.

The TV I have in my living room is a UN55D6450UF...I bought the floor display from Sam's Club, so I don't really know how much it went for originally. There doesn't seem to be much info about it.

#20 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 807 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:56 PM

I am going to try the settings, I just haven't yet...I wanted to see what the blu ray would look like. I will be honest and say that I don't think changing the settings is going to do anything for the pixilation....but I did intend on trying them at least.

CCarncross, that is the only reason I bought it. I have a "Samsung SmartTV" that looks awesome, so I figured I'd buy another "Samsung SmartTV"..but I'm kind of disappointed. I'm not really sure where it falls in the model's, but I think it's on the lower end.

The TV I have in my living room is a UN55D6450UF...I bought the floor display from Sam's Club, so I don't really know how much it went for originally. There doesn't seem to be much info about it.

Well,

Did you try turning off the 120hz, like J57 did? It would be interesting to see if that did anything.

I think if your not satisfied [ you will always be comparing the two, and at some point you'll wish you did this] consider the 6000 series, It could most definitely be a better tv.

Good luck!

chris

Protected By... spam firewall...And...