Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Thinking about coming back to DirecTV

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   MalibuRacing

MalibuRacing

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:27 PM

I'm unhappy with my switch to cable TV.   Fortunately I do not have any contract commitment, so I am reconsidering DirecTV and also possibly Dish.  Three months ago, I left DirecTV due to painfully slow HD DVRs.  DirecTV refused to upgrade my old HD-DVRs without expensive upgrade fees, even though I was a loyal customer of 11 years.

Regardless, now that I've been gone for 3 months they're offering everything I wanted plus a $200 pre-paid Visa.  They have my attention now. But the question remains; how is the Genie/clients in regards to interface speed/performance?  Have they improved the speed or is it still slow/laggy like my old HR2x receivers?  

I definitely don't want to locked into a two year commitment and endure slow equipment like before.  Trying to get feedback before jumping into a new two year commitment. 

H20, HR20, HR21

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,726 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:41 PM

The HR44 Genie is DirecTV currently their fastest DVR. Depending on your family viewing, I would rethink going only with mini-clients. Mixing in another DVR (HR25) or H25 might be a better way to go.

Just remember, coming back does mean a two year commitment.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#3 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,730 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:45 PM

I'm unhappy with my switch to cable TV. Fortunately I do not have any contract commitment, so I am reconsidering DirecTV and also possibly Dish. Three months ago, I left DirecTV due to painfully slow HD DVRs. DirecTV refused to upgrade my old HD-DVRs without expensive upgrade fees, even though I was a loyal customer of 11 years.

Regardless, now that I've been gone for 3 months they're offering everything I wanted plus a $200 pre-paid Visa. They have my attention now. But the question remains; how is the Genie/clients in regards to interface speed/performance? Have they improved the speed or is it still slow/laggy like my old HR2x receivers?

I definitely don't want to locked into a two year commitment and endure slow equipment like before. Trying to get feedback before jumping into a new two year commitment.

How many people in your home?

How many tvs do you have?

How many different shows are ever on at the same time that get either recorded or watched live by someone in your home?

What did you have before? How many DVRs standard Hi Definition receivers etc.

#4 OFFLINE   MalibuRacing

MalibuRacing

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:47 PM

We have 3 TVs.  3 people in the house.  Each records shows, so, more tuners would be nice.  Will they give you DVRs in place of the clients with no additional charge?  We previously had two HR2x DVRs and one HD receiver.  That was plenty for all the recordings we needed.

Edited by MalibuRacing, 24 March 2014 - 06:49 PM.

H20, HR20, HR21

#5 OFFLINE   dishinitout

dishinitout

Mentor

• Registered
  • 258 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:59 PM

If 2 HRs were enough for you then then the new genie will be equivalent. 5 tuners from genie, 5 from the 2 HRs and 1HD. To sub a client with an HR is $199 upfront no change to monthly bill.

Sent from my SM-N900V using DBSTalk mobile app

SL5, SWM16, 1 HR44, 1 HR34, 2 HR24, 2 C31, 1 C41W

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,483 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 24 March 2014 - 07:45 PM

While you may think that a Genie may suffice, 2 HHDVRs is not the same as one Genie.  the "problem" with the Genie is that the tuners are shared and this opens an opportunity to record most "stuff" at the same time than having a dual tuner DVR that you had to "make it work" and figure out workarounds as recording the network shows as repeats.

your best bet is to get a Genie, an HDDVR and a client at the very least.  of course the HDDVR will be one time charge of $199, but this may be negotiable!

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#7 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,730 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:16 PM

While you may think that a Genie may suffice, 2 HHDVRs is not the same as one Genie. the "problem" with the Genie is that the tuners are shared and this opens an opportunity to record most "stuff" at the same time than having a dual tuner DVR that you had to "make it work" and figure out workarounds as recording the network shows as repeats.

your best bet is to get a Genie, an HDDVR and a client at the very least. of course the HDDVR will be one time charge of $199, but this may be negotiable!

There's is zero things a genie and two
Mins can't provide that his previous system did. Zero.

The shared tuner argument doesn't work because the number of total tuners in the house is identical. . There are no problems. In fact it's even more versatile in many ways than what he had before.

Take this example. He has four things he wants to record and fifth channel he wants to watch live. because he can have a free tuner to watch live tv at any tv with a full genie system he could watch that live program anywhere where as before he'd only been able to watch it in the room with the stand alone tv.

He could enhance beyond even that if he wanted by adding a Hi Definition receiver or DVR though.

If he has a kid who had a lot
Of different tastes then I'd suggest considering a genie and mini for him and his spouse and a DVR for the kid. Kid does what he wants with the DVR he has the same interface on his two tvs.

If speed is tops over everything else though, if suggest he get two Hi Definition receivers (h25) and a genie (hr44). There is no faster setup.

#8 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,483 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:22 PM

The shared tuner argument doesn't work because the number of total tuners in the house is identical. . 

It does work.  When I had 3 HDDVRs, I always scheduled my recordings based on having two tuners not 6.  When in extreme cases when I could not do with the tuner tuners, I then went to the second DVR.  I always recorded my "cable" shows after hours because on prime time my DVR was always busy recording shows on my locals channels.  With the Genie now I have the freedom to record any show at any time.  "multiply" this times 3 and 5 tuners seems like they are not enough 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,483 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:23 PM

If speed is tops over everything else though, if suggest he get two Hi Definition receivers (h25) and a genie (hr44). There is no faster setup.

Really??? then why not get all H25s

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#10 OFFLINE   MalibuRacing

MalibuRacing

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:29 PM

I believe the Genie and two clients will be sufficient. My wife and I watch and record TV the most.  My son is a college student, so he is only home part-time.  I honestly don't think the number of tuners will be an issue.

My main concern is the speed/performance of the system.  Is it slow or "laggy"?  I really liked everything else about DirecTV, but I just couldn't deal with the slow performance and response time of my old HR21 and HR20.  

H20, HR20, HR21

#11 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,483 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:37 PM

I believe the Genie and two clients will be sufficient. My wife and I watch and record TV the most.  My son is a college student, so he is only home part-time.  I honestly don't think the number of tuners will be an issue.

You will def see a difference when going from HR44 to client, but this is not to say they are snails 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#12 OFFLINE   dishinitout

dishinitout

Mentor

• Registered
  • 258 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:49 PM

It does work.  When I had 3 HDDVRs, I always scheduled my recordings based on having two tuners not 6.  When in extreme cases when I could not do with the tuner tuners, I then went to the second DVR.  I always recorded my "cable" shows after hours because on prime time my DVR was always busy recording shows on my locals channels.  With the Genie now I have the freedom to record any show at any time.  "multiply" this times 3 and 5 tuners seems like they are not enough 

[MOD edit]. For the OP the Genie plus 2 clients is superior to his previous setup, no question about it.

I do agree with you the Genie plus 2 H25s is a waste of function, I'd never sacrifice the ability of a Mini for the 1-2 seconds of speed improvement of a H25.

SL5, SWM16, 1 HR44, 1 HR34, 2 HR24, 2 C31, 1 C41W

#13 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,730 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:30 PM

It does work. When I had 3 HDDVRs, I always scheduled my recordings based on having two tuners not 6. When in extreme cases when I could not do with the tuner tuners, I then went to the second DVR. I always recorded my "cable" shows after hours because on prime time my DVR was always busy recording shows on my locals channels. With the Genie now I have the freedom to record any show at any time. "multiply" this times 3 and 5 tuners seems like they are not enough

We seem to be coming from differnt things here. He only had two DVRs. Not three. Big difference. If he had three then yes, it would be a little different, but not completely. If he only ever had five tuners amoung the three tvs then that's the same as having five tuners amoung the three with a full genie except that any tuner can be used at any TV, so to speak, so there more of a chance that live TV can be found at any TV than with two DVRs and one regular Hi Definition unit.

#14 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,638 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:22 PM

Cleaned up so this thread could be reopened

A.K.A VOS

#15 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,730 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:23 AM

Really??? then why not get all H25s

Well he needs a DVR too! :lol:

And the hr44 is easily the fastest IMHO.

#16 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,730 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:24 AM

[MOD edit]. For the OP the Genie plus 2 clients is superior to his previous setup, no question about it.

I do agree with you the Genie plus 2 H25s is a waste of function, I'd never sacrifice the ability of a Mini for the 1-2 seconds of speed improvement of a H25.

I agree with this as well. My clients tied with my hr44 have always been faster than my HR21 ever was.

#17 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,117 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:35 AM

My main concern is the speed/performance of the system.  Is it slow or "laggy"?  I really liked everything else about DirecTV, but I just couldn't deal with the slow performance and response time of my old HR21 and HR20.  

Perhaps RAD's video showing a comparison of an HR34 and multiple Genie clients would help you prepare for the performance to expect? http://www.dbstalk.c...-client-is-it/ 

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DirecTV

5-LNB SlimLine w/SWM16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#18 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,818 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:55 AM

While I see what Peds is saying, In this case I may not agree 100%

The Genie with 2 clients is going to allow all 3 rooms to watch live TV and record in 2 rooms only at the same time without affecting live tv function.( freedom of changing the channel).

I might not be able to live with this, But I could if I had to.  Most customers will find this acceptable

But Even with 2 HR's and the H25, your not gaining anything over the Genie system. Your losing function, as well has Gaining more up front cost!

For one thing, say all 3 rooms want to watch something off the same HR, well thats not going to happen since  HR2x's will only stream one remote room at a time.

That shows even in my system from time to time. :bang

And 3 HRs ,

or a Genie and 2 HRs

you and I both know the least your going to pay is $300 up front for that.

Most people aren't going to pay that.

If Directv allowed me another Genie, then I would have Clients.

But One Genie doesn't cut it in my house.

My Clients are HR's

Edited by damondlt, 25 March 2014 - 02:37 PM.

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / HD Xtra / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

#19 OFFLINE   DR2420

DR2420

• Registered
  • 92 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:35 PM

I've had the clients and didn't like them, I'd be watching live TV and it'd suddenly freeze for a few seconds then start again.. This was as of January of this year. I ended up changing the equipment from 1 Genie & 3 Clients to 1 Genie & 3 HD receivers, everything has worked much smoothly since then. They did allow me to upgrade one of the HD receivers to an HD DVR. So, now I have 1 Genie, 1 HD DVR, 2 HD receivers. I like it this way a lot more. Of course I don't get the live TV DVR functions on the HD receivers but that's fine with me to avoid them clients. Another thing I didn't like about the clients was that they are off sequence with each other on the same channel and that drove me nuts too, especially if you have two TV's near each other. The clients definitely operate quite a bit slower than the DVR itself. If it's a must to have DVR functions in every room on live TV then you will have to get the clients, unless you want to pay $398 upfront for 2 additional HD DVR's. Not everyone has probably had the issues I did but I was not impressed with the clients. 

Edited by DR2420, 25 March 2014 - 02:52 PM.

#20 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,483 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:37 PM

While I see what Peds is saying, In this case I may not agree 100%

The Genie with 2 clients is going to allow all 3 rooms to watch live TV and record in 2 rooms only at the same time without affecting live tv function.( freedom of changing the channel).

I might not be able to live with this, But I could if I had to.  Most customers will find this acceptable

But Even with 2 HR's and the H25, your not gaining anything over the Genie system. Your losing function, as well has Gaining more up front cost!

For one thing, say all 3 rooms want to watch something off the same HR, well thats not going to happen since  HR2x's will only stream one remote room at a time.

That shows even in my system from time to time. :bang

And 3 HRs ,

or a Genie and 2 HRs

you and I both know the least your going to pay is $300 up for for that.

Most people aren't going to pay that.

If Directv allowed me another Genie, then I would have Clients.

But One Genie doesn't cut it in my house.

My Clients are HR's

Exactly my thoughts!  

once you see the "freedom" to record five shows, because it will allow to schedule those shows, then you will turn the TV on to find out all tuners may be taken

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

spam firewall