Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Best BYOP Smartphone Plans?

iphone android At&T Verizon straight talk byop virgin mobile

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Devo1237

Devo1237

Legend

• Registered
  • 387 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:21 PM

It seems like we're getting to a point these days where there's a lot of great options for smartphone plans if you bring your own phone.  Especially in the unlimited space.  After spending a few years with my iPhone on both AT&T and Verizon (where the wife and I were paying ~$135/mo for 700mins talk and unlimited data), I've been pretty happy the last couple months on Straight Talk, where we get Unlimited Talk/Text/Data for $45/mo each.  It's even less if you buy multiple months at a time.  I like it because the coverage comes from a major carrier (AT&T) and includes LTE speeds.  The only downside seems to be them doing some throttling when you try to watch video over LTE, but I haven't really needed to do that when I'm not on Wi-Fi.

Anyway, the reason I'm posting is because I saw AT&T has a new offer where you can do 4 lines with Unlimited talk & Text, plus 10GB of shared data for $160/mo (or $40/line).  Seems like a pretty good deal for those that don't use a ton of data, or if your family members only need a little bit and you can use the excess.

So, what kind of plans are you guys using for your smartphones?  Are you still on the big boys (AT&T/VZW) plans?  Or have you gone the cheaper route with Virgin or Straight Talk and the like?  

Edited by Devo1237, 25 March 2014 - 06:21 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,088 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:24 PM

Republic Wireless

https://republicwireless.com/plans

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#3 OFFLINE   Devo1237

Devo1237

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 387 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:30 PM

Republic Wireless

https://republicwireless.com/plans

Seems like a good deal, but it uses the Sprint towers, which I've heard are spotty.  Do you get consistent 4G coverage?

#4 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,088 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:35 PM

Seems like a good deal, but it uses the Sprint towers, which I've heard are spotty.  Do you get consistent 4G coverage?

I don't use the 4G or data, but a buddy does and Sprint is weird here... 4G literally stops and restarts on my road.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#5 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,405 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:37 PM

With AT&T we just went to the $145 share plan. unlimited talk/text 10 GB
We have 3 smart phones if we add addtional phones they are now $15 extra per month.
$40 only if you accept a free upgrade with a 24 month commitment.

Im not sure what you do with your phone but we never went over 1.5 GB per month in the 7 months with Att.
But we don't stream movies unless we have Wi-Fi available.

Sent from my PantechP8010 using DBSTalk mobile app

Former Directv Subscriber May 5th-2012 - November 7th 2014 

Blue Ridge Communticatons

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus anolog Bedrrom 5 and 6

#6 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,405 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 06:45 PM

Also Straight Talk gives each Line 2.5 GB per 30 days. Thats it. Thats why your getting slowed way down on your LTE streaming.

Straight talk is Verizon's towers.
Trackphone and Net10 are ATT.

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

#7 OFFLINE   Devo1237

Devo1237

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 387 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:01 PM

Also Straight Talk gives each Line 2.5 GB per 30 days. Thats it. Thats why your getting slowed way down on your LTE streaming.

Not exactly true.  They do limit LTE use to 2.5GB, but that's not why my LTE slows down since I've never used even 2GB in a month.  They also throttle for video streaming even if your under the limit.  

And ST only uses verizon towers if you buy a phone from them.  You can also buy a Sim Card from them that works with T-Mobile or AT&T's towers.  I chose the AT&T sim because that one supports LTE, whereas the Verizon phones at the time were limited to 3G.  I think they all may be at LTE speeds now, though.

#8 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,405 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:08 PM

Not exactly true. They do limit LTE use to 2.5GB, but that's not why my LTE slows down since I've never used even 2GB in a month. They also throttle for video streaming even if your under the limit.

This is why we tossed our Straight talk phones and signed up with ATT. Too often we found our phones failing to load or extremely slow in general. My straight talk phones didnt have removable sim cards either.
A common Verizon's practice.

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

#9 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,923 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:12 PM

I Switched from the evil empire of AT&T to T-Mobile and I have been happily ever since. my bill went from $240 to $160. I have 3 iphones plus one Air all on their service. the iphone gets unlimited everything and the Air gets 2.5GB every month

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#10 OFFLINE   Devo1237

Devo1237

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 387 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:48 PM

I Switched from the evil empire of AT&T to T-Mobile and I have been happily ever since. my bill went from $240 to $160. I have 3 iphones plus one Air all on their service. the iphone gets unlimited everything and the Air gets 2.5GB every month

Yeah, I hated AT&T when we had that with the old iPhone 3g, but the phone service has been much better since we came back via Straight Talk. I've thought about T-Mobile but also worry about their coverage.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

#11 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,923 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:54 PM

Yeah, I hated AT&T when we had that with the old iPhone 3g, but the phone service has been much better since we came back via Straight Talk. I've thought about T-Mobile but also worry about their coverage.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

coverage with T-Mobile seems to be good where I live. the issue with them is the lack of the lower spectrum which helps a lot when you are indoors. But this is going to get better since they got the Extra bandwith from the red devil

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#12 OFFLINE   Cyber36

Cyber36

Legend

• Registered
  • 274 posts
  • LocationByron NY

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:31 AM

Verizon = Satan?

#13 ONLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:40 AM

I have Verizon for my iPhone 5, but I'm not a big data user at all.  Started with the 'america 65' plan or some such, limited talk, no text and 2Gb of data.

But recently they've been changing their attitude about having smartphones and data plans.  So yesterday I changed to the 'more' plan that fits me.  Unlimited talk/text, 250Mb data for $55/month.

Around here, if you want great coverage it is Verizon or Alltel.  All the others are spotty though ATT has gotten better.  Unfortunately if when my contract is up I decided to use straight talk, I'd be on ATT and it is a dead zone right at my house.  :(

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#14 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,208 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:59 AM

In my area, Tracfone runs on Verizon who has the best coverage here. AT&T and Sprint don't reach my house consistently.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#15 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,645 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:46 AM

coverage with T-Mobile seems to be good where I live. the issue with them is the lack of the lower spectrum which helps a lot when you are indoors. But this is going to get better since they got the Extra bandwith from the red devil

Ya. This time last year, T-Mo LTE was hard to find in Westchester County, NY. Now I'm surprised if I don't get an LTE connection.

I don't need many voice minutes, so I'm on the T-Mo $30/month plan. 100 minutes talk, unlimited data. I'm using an owned iPhone 5.

/steve

#16 OFFLINE   Devo1237

Devo1237

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 387 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:07 AM

Unfortunately if when my contract is up I decided to use straight talk, I'd be on ATT and it is a dead zone right at my house.   :(

Straight Talk offers Verizon coverage for the same $45/mo unlimited everything deal.  You just have to buy a phone directly from them, or see if your current CDMA phone is compatible by clicking on the link on this page...

http://www.straightt.../home/shop/sims

#17 OFFLINE   Devo1237

Devo1237

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 387 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:13 AM

Ya. This time last year, T-Mo LTE was hard to find in Westchester County, NY. Now I'm surprised if I don't get an LTE connection.

I don't need many voice minutes, so I'm on the T-Mo $30/month plan. 100 minutes talk, unlimited data. I'm using an owned iPhone 5.

Yeah, that's a great deal if you don't talk much.  I usually don't, but there seems to be one month every year where I use like a 700 minutes, that really blows my bank if I'm on a limited plan.

#18 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,405 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:15 AM

Well you do live in NY city. :coffee

Try Northeastern PA and see T mobile and Sprint coverage.

My in laws from Eastchester NY aren't so happy with their sprint service when they come to visit. :bang

I don't know anyone with T mobile near us, I'm guessing because its coverage is small.

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

#19 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,923 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:18 AM

Yeah, that's a great deal if you don't talk much. I usually don't, but there seems to be one month every year where I use like a 700 minutes, that really blows my bank if I'm on a limited plan.

surprised they still have metered voice as most cell companies are focusing on how to squeeze more money out of us but on data

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#20 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,645 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:22 AM

Devo1237, on 26 Mar 2014 - 1:13 PM, said:Devo1237, on 26 Mar 2014 - 1:13 PM, said:

Yeah, that's a great deal if you don't talk much.  I usually don't, but there seems to be one month every year where I use like a 700 minutes, that really blows my bank if I'm on a limited plan.

With unlimited data, you can use the Vonage VOIP app to make free U.S. calls that show your cell phone # as the CID. This way, as long as you initiate the call, you can keep your minutes under control.

/steve

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: iphone, android, At&T, Verizon, straight talk, byop, virgin, mobile

Protected By... spam firewall...And...