Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Best BYOP Smartphone Plans?

iphone android At&T Verizon straight talk byop virgin mobile

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,621 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:25 AM

surprised they still have metered voice as most cell companies are focusing on how to squeeze more money out of us but on data

It's unlimited data up to 5GB LTE, then throttled after that. I've never exceeded 5GB, so I don't know how severely they throttle.

/steve

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:31 AM

It's unlimited data up to 5GB LTE, then throttled after that. I've never exceeded 5GB, so I don't know how severely they throttle.

We have 3 Smart phones, and we always have 8.5 GB left every month.  But since the New ATT plans our Bill went from $226 for 2 GB

to $176 for 10GB plan

That includes all the Taxes and the Insurance.

We could Drop back down to the 2 GB for around $135, But I plan on adding a 4th line so I want the 10 GB data.

How is Insurance handled with Straight Talk or T Moblie?

#23 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,285 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:33 AM

Straight Talk offers Verizon coverage for the same $45/mo unlimited everything deal.  You just have to buy a phone directly from them, or see if your current CDMA phone is compatible by clicking on the link on this page...

http://www.straightt.../home/shop/sims

True.  But unless my iPhone 5 dies, I'm not going to replace it.  It does all I want/need.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#24 OFFLINE   Devo1237

Devo1237

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 387 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:36 AM

True.  But unless my iPhone 5 dies, I'm not going to replace it.  It does all I want/need.

Yeah, I do think you'll get better service through Verizon, just a matter of long-term monthly savings versus up front costs usually.

#25 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:38 AM

I find it interesting that ATT, Verizon , Sprint, or even customers for that matter, haven't filed suit against T Mobile and Tracphone for their "Unlimited DATA"

claim that is clearly false advertizing.

If that were Directv ,comcast and Dish, Wow look out!

#26 OFFLINE   Devo1237

Devo1237

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 387 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:49 AM

I find it interesting that ATT, Verizon , Sprint, or even customers for that matter, haven't filed suit against T Mobile and Tracphone for their "Unlimited DATA"

claim that is clearly false advertizing.

If that were Directv ,comcast and Dish, Wow look out!

Seriously.  I guess it is technically unlimited after it's throttled.  Just not worth using.  Those big guys do the same thing though.  I had a grandfathered Unlimited plan from Verizon that was actually limited to 5 or 6 GBs.

#27 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:11 PM

. I had a grandfathered Unlimited plan from Verizon that was actually limited to 5 or 6 GBs.

Im not so sure they do that anymore. Their unlimited data plan is a few hundred dollars.

Sent from my PantechP8010 using DBSTalk mobile app

#28 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,449 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 26 March 2014 - 06:18 PM

on T-Mobile when you get throttle it becomes useless. My son used all of my 2.5GB in one day. reason I found out is when he came to me to tell me the ipad was not working. wonder why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#29 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 03:00 AM

Also Straight Talk gives each Line 2.5 GB per 30 days. Thats it. Thats why your getting slowed way down on your LTE streaming.

Straight talk is Verizon's towers.
Trackphone and Net10 are ATT.

Sent from my PantechP8010 using DBSTalk mobile app

Straight talk also uses ATT towers, you can get GSM sims from them

http://www.straightt...ms#.UzPn3bEo7RY

#30 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:37 AM

Straight talk also uses ATT towers, you can get GSM sims from them

http://www.straightt...ms#.UzPn3bEo7RY

If you are Bringing your own phone.

But not if you are buying it right out of the Straight Talk box.

Verizion phones don't have removable Sim cards.

At least I've never owned one that did, only a short 7 months ago.

#31 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,459 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 27 March 2014 - 02:55 PM

Whole family switched from Verizon to T-Mobile last week. Swapped our old phones for new (gotta pay full retail). So far, quite happy. Although T-Mobile coverage is spotty in many areas,they're supposed to go all LTE by year's end. Time will tell.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Samsung UN60F7100 60" LED 3D TV; Samsung  BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray DVD player; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVo Roamio Plus DVR, Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player.
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#32 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,449 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 03:02 PM

Whole family switched from Verizon to T-Mobile last week. Swapped our old phones for new (gotta pay full retail). So far, quite happy. Although T-Mobile coverage is spotty in many areas,they're supposed to go all LTE by year's end. Time will tell.

LTE was my "beef" with AT&T. they had rights to the iphone first and as such they got lots of business from folks that otherwise would not have switched. And instead of investing money on their lousy network they decided just to stuffed their pockets with tons of cash. On the other hand, T- Mobile was always and still is investing on their network

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#33 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,285 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:07 PM

The iPhone 5 from Verizon is an unlocked phone so you can move it to StraightTalk with a micro-sim kit.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#34 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:18 PM

The iPhone 5 from Verizon is an unlocked phone so you can move it to StraightTalk with a micro-sim kit.

Yes, Bring a phone.  But not the ones they sell out of the box thats marked Straight talk.

#35 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 06:52 PM

Verizon world phones have both CDMA and GSM capabilities, the Verizon Iphone 5/S/C have both CDMA and GSM capabilities, the 5S/C are carrier unlocked on the GSM side. They sell the Iphone 5C and the 5S

#36 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,211 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 29 March 2014 - 10:15 AM

I was a Verizon Wireless customer since, literally, the 1980s.  A variety of circumstances caused me to reconsider everything and basically do a "free and open" competition for my 'next' phones in 2011.

Verizon forced a $30 per phone "smartphone" fee on me - even if I didn't want to use data on it.  My wife's HTC Ozone was PERFECT for her (looks like a Blackberry with the physical keyboard, thing, etc)  But they FORCED a $30 fee for her - no option.  Same for my HTC Touch Pro 2 but I *did* use data.  My daughter had a $10 "feature phone" fee.

I asked for discounts having been a customer for 24 years who's bill was now over $200/mo.  They basically said "We're Verizon.  You Need Us."

I went to Sprint.  The day the iPhone 4S was released, I was on a plan that cost *$10* for each smartphone, TRULY unlimited data, MORE prime minutes AND a discount for being a military employee.  I bought 3 iPhones (2x64GB and one 32GB) and saw my monthly bill go down some $50/mo.

A day or two after the phone numbers switched to Sprint, Verizon started calling begging me to come back.  I said "Will you pay my ETF and price-match SPrint's bill".  The poor drone on the other end of the line had nothing to say.  I politely said "Please tell your bosses that they had their chance to keep the customer that gave them nearly $3000/year and I'm sorry that YOU, in your position, had to hear it and couldn't really do anything about it."

#37 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,449 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 10:47 AM

I was a Verizon Wireless customer since, literally, the 1980s. A variety of circumstances caused me to reconsider everything and basically do a "free and open" competition for my 'next' phones in 2011.

Verizon forced a $30 per phone "smartphone" fee on me - even if I didn't want to use data on it. My wife's HTC Ozone was PERFECT for her (looks like a Blackberry with the physical keyboard, thing, etc) But they FORCED a $30 fee for her - no option. Same for my HTC Touch Pro 2 but I *did* use data. My daughter had a $10 "feature phone" fee.

I asked for discounts having been a customer for 24 years who's bill was now over $200/mo. They basically said "We're Verizon. You Need Us."

I went to Sprint. The day the iPhone 4S was released, I was on a plan that cost *$10* for each smartphone, TRULY unlimited data, MORE prime minutes AND a discount for being a military employee. I bought 3 iPhones (2x64GB and one 32GB) and saw my monthly bill go down some $50/mo.

A day or two after the phone numbers switched to Sprint, Verizon started calling begging me to come back. I said "Will you pay my ETF and price-match SPrint's bill". The poor drone on the other end of the line had nothing to say. I politely said "Please tell your bosses that they had their chance to keep the customer that gave them nearly $3000/year and I'm sorry that YOU, in your position, had to hear it and couldn't really do anything about it."

this literally happened to me but I was with AT&T for about 13 years and I went to T-Mobile

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: iphone, android, At&T, Verizon, straight talk, byop, virgin, mobile

Protected By... spam firewall...And...