Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Millennials are watching video on tablets and computers more than TVs

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Athlon646464

Athlon646464

Hall Of Fame

• News Hound
  • 2,528 posts
  • LocationUxbridge, MA

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:21 AM

Millennials are watching video on tablets and computers more than TVs

Apparently kids these days prefer to watch shows and movies on things other than a TV. According to a new study by Deloitte, 56 percent of "training millennials" (people ages 14-24) are tuning in to their favorite shows on computers, smartphones, tablets and gaming devices rather than a television. 

The majority, 32 percent, are watching on their computers, while just 7 percent are keeping up with the Kardashians on their tablets. That's a huge contrast from grandma's "mature" 67+ age group where a whopping 92 percent of viewers are still watching the tube the traditional way, and even a noticeable difference from millennials ages 25-30 where 53 percent of viewers are still cuddling up in their Snuggies in front of a traditional set....

millennials.jpg.jpg
Image source: Flickr/Daily Invention

1 HR34-700, 1 C31-700, 1 HR24-500
Original install on April 20, 2008 - HR34 & C31 installed on August 24, 2013 - HR24 installed on July 23, 2010

Press any key to continue, or any other key to cancel.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:48 AM

Reason is - Living in the BSM'T of Mom's or GrandMa's House is the easy way to do this

"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,568 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 27 March 2014 - 12:25 PM

I remember when watching television was a family activity.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#4 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,531 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 27 March 2014 - 02:08 PM

I suspect such studies are misleading.

A retired person is more likely to be at home more of the day... and if they watch TV, have no reason not to watch more on the traditional TV.

The younger person is either in school or at work... and less likely to be in front of a traditional TV for half of the day... in which case they will watch on an alternative device in part because of necessity.

When you're at school and the basketball tourney is on, you want to watch the games however you can...  but you'd rather be home and watching on TV... and if you're young you probably multitask and would watch TV on the big screen while you use your computer to do other things.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#5 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 890 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 02:37 PM

I find fault in many of these studies. Are they asking do you have a TV and a Tablet-which do you want more programs on? I suspect the 14-24 age group now has a computer or tablet in their room, they no longer have TVs in their room.  That will change as they grow older, purchase their TVs and have families.  I do watch some shows via Roku/Xbox/PS3/iPad but I still go to the TV for things I really want to watch. I believe people are using the 2nd screen a lot but I don't truly believe their tablet or computer is their 1st scree.....at least not by choice.  Until there is a way to stream major sporting events (in local markets) via tablets/computer/set top box I don't think you'll see people leaving their cable/satellite behind.  The March Madness app is great, but you need to authenticate to use, unless a family member or friend is going to give you their credentials you won't be watching the app if you don't have a subscription already.

#6 OFFLINE   gully_foyle

gully_foyle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,288 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 27 March 2014 - 03:07 PM

This is stupid.  Young people are mostly single and live alone.  Couples watch TV together, which you really cannot do on a tablet or computer without strain.  Do this again with married couples and see what happens.

DirecTV since 1994 // 2014Q2 Setup here

#7 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,486 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:56 PM

Pretty much agree with the comments here. It will be interesting to track these same people as they settle down. Start families; get more affluent; nest (even by themselves).

I watch some stuff on my iPhone and iPad but not when I am at home and have my 65 inch TV to watch. I suspect that will be the general trend.

• Laxguy likes this
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#8 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,384 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:49 PM

Of course, they're not watching traditional TV sets. What's really important here isn't whether they are watching on a computer or tablet. What's important is that they are watching streaming video not on a schedule.

If one of these young people got married and bought a TV like a Samsung 46-Inch 1080p Smart LED HDTV to watch TV "as a family" they would be watching streaming through Apps or a browser. Perhaps the "on demand" options of the $100+ cable/satellite subscription might appeal, but they are not sufficiently going to be watching so regularly and reliably on a live+same day or even 3 day schedule that the broadcast networks can sell their viewing eyes to advertisers.

Over the past decade the over 49 viewers have completely gained control of the live+same day ratings because they are the only reliable eyes.

That next generation is simply not interested in CBS telling them that to watch "The Good Wife" they have to turn on the TV at 9 pm on Sunday, oh and then if football ran over they have to sit there up to an hour waiting for it to come on. That's the revolution evolution that's going to change TV and IMHO kill local broadcast stations.

In retrospect, I'm not even sure why my generation let the purveyors of the "vast wasteland" take control of our lives and our families. I just know we did and it seemed OK at the time. But watching TV as a family was never a human interactive experience comparable to a weekend family outing or even nightly family dinner.

What's happening is the direction of "on demand" is shifting from the media corporation successfully demanding we all simultaneously line up in front of our TV's like deer blinded in the headlights to the viewer saying "hey, I've got lots of choices, so I demand you convince me that I should even consider your product when I have some free time which could be any time on any day."

It isn't about the nature of the viewing screen, it's about how the access to the product is offered.

Edited by phrelin, 27 March 2014 - 11:50 PM.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#9 OFFLINE   Wilf

Wilf

Legend

• Registered
  • 218 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:12 AM

My wife is in her 70's and I am in my 80's, and we haven't turned on our 60 inch TV in many weeks. We each watch Netflix on our iPads. I use headphones and wife uses the iPad speaker. And why not, an iPad a foot away from your face presents an image just as big as a big screen TV several feet away. I have a Roku on the 60 inch TV, but the iPads work better for us.

Edited by Wilf, 28 March 2014 - 11:13 AM.

#10 OFFLINE   kenglish

kenglish

Icon

• Registered
  • 972 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah, USA

Posted 29 March 2014 - 09:11 AM

I still have fond memories of our family sitting down (adults on the sofa, kids on the floor) to watch Red Skelton, Lawrence Welk, and the Billy Graham Specials. Those were regularly scheduled "family events". :righton:

#11 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,531 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 29 March 2014 - 01:35 PM

This just in...

Study concludes everyone in the world is sick...  Comprehensive studies conducted in doctor's offices and hospital waiting rooms concludes that 100% of people in the survey were sick.

Or so my hyperbole would go :)

-- I like to go fast (not really)

spam firewall