Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Adding Denver locals....?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 958 posts
  • Locationcolorado, in the mountains.....

Posted 27 March 2014 - 04:54 PM

I live in a small town where my "assigned" locals are from Colorado Springs. The next county over has Denver locals. I am about 5 miles from that county line. Recently, the small local cable company in my town(BAJA Cable) added 2 Denver channels to its existing carrying of the Colorado Springs channels. They now offer 2 CW channels and 2 NBC channels. My question is can Directv now offer me Denver stations? What steps can I take to pursue this? Why can the cable company have Denver channels and not Directv?

Thanks for any input....

HR44-500 HDMI to 42"Toshiba
HR21-100 HDMI to 32" LG and 20" AOC

Directv since 1996(the USSB,Pegasus days...)
...sometimes, there is no answer...
http://woodlandweather.org/

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dishinitout

dishinitout

Mentor

• Registered
  • 258 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:25 PM

If they haven't already been added to your guide your not getting them... I don't know legal reasons why cable can offer locals from 2 DMAs but satellite can't except in rare cases, maybe someone else can chime in on that.

Depending on your location an antenna may be able to get Denver channels.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

SL5, SWM16, 1 HR44, 1 HR34, 2 HR24, 2 C31, 1 C41W

#3 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 958 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 07:42 AM

It would take about a 70' tower just to gain minimal LOS to their towers which are about 70 miles away. I just don't get why this cable co. would be allowed a 2nd DMA. I remember years ago, my sister in Florida rec'd both Orlando and Tampa locals on DTV. My whole reason for interest is Denver has a much more "professional" group of Locals than in the Springs for news and weather content....

#4 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 28 March 2014 - 10:35 AM

The Sat providers are restricted to providing you with the locals designated for your area using the DMA boundaries....if you are in the DMA for Colorado Springs, that is what they have to provide.  Cable, due to strong lobbying years ago, dont have that restriction.

#5 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,365 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:02 AM

If you post your zip code in here and tell me your county, I will look up to see if any of the Denver stations are considered significantly viewed in your county.  If they are, DirecTV can offer them to you with no blackout restrictions.  I have 2 stations from a different DMA that are provided to me from DirecTV because they are considered significantly viewed.  Let me know and I would be happy to look into it for you.

Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#6 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 958 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:10 AM

If you post your zip code in here and tell me your county, I will look up to see if any of the Denver stations are considered significantly viewed in your county.  If they are, DirecTV can offer them to you with no blackout restrictions.  I have 2 stations from a different DMA that are provided to me from DirecTV because they are considered significantly viewed.  Let me know and I would be happy to look into it for you.

Thank you, it's 80863....Teller County

Edited by bnwrx, 28 March 2014 - 11:13 AM.

#7 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 958 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 11:25 AM

Following your lead, led me to the gov't. list of SVC and I found in my county 3 stations from Denver listed. But how and who do I talk to at DTV to add these?

#8 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,365 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 28 March 2014 - 12:57 PM

Following your lead, led me to the gov't. list of SVC and I found in my county 3 stations from Denver listed. But how and who do I talk to at DTV to add these?

Its not that simple.  You need to talk to the GM at the affiliates that are considered Significantly Viewed.  Let them know that you live in a different DMA but that their station is considered Significantly Viewed in your county and you want to know if they would be interested in seeing if they can get their signal turned on with DirecTV for your county.  Let them know that you know they are not an affilaite from your DMA but that you also know the law does not require the Significantly Viewed channels be blacked out if aired in another DMA.  Let them know the benefits to you to having their signal.

For me it means I get weather alerts before its a problem and I get access to sports that are instate that I would not get otherwise.  Alot of times you get one of two responses.  The first one is they dont think its legal for them but it is.  Make sure they understand its only because the FCC list says they are significantly viewed in your county.  The other problem you could run into is that their affiliate agreement restricts them from stepping on your DMA's affiliate of the same big 4 network.  I can tell you in my county the CBS, ABC and FOX are considered SV and CBS as well as ABC are active for us.  I am only still working on the FOX affiliate at this time.

Let me know how it goes and or provide me with some reasons you want the station that the station might like and I would be happy to make some calls for you.  Its all about being persuasive and selling them on you wanting their channel on your DirecTV lineup.  Probably wouldnt hurt if you said you knew of alot of people around you that would love to get the station as well and that are DirecTV customers or that would switch to get some of the Denver locals. 

Might also be worth looking to see if your local cable Co offers that affiliate in your DMA as well.  Then you can say hey, you are already doing it with Cable and you just want them to do the same thing with DirecTV.  Let me know if you have any questions on this or need any help.  I love this kind of stuff and I am happy to help.

HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#9 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 620 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 12:59 PM

First, Colorado Springs and Denver are on the same spot beam, so techinically Denver TV statiosn can be sent to Teller County.

Now comes the fun part. Summit and Park Counties, are just north of Teller County and are in the Denver DMA, but Teller County is in the Colorado Springs DMA. All three counties are in the mountains which play havoc with receiving any signals via an antenna.

For those who don't live in Colorado. What is interesting about Colorado is, that most everything east of Denver, mostly north of I-70/US24, except close to the Wyoming, Nebraska and Kansas line are in the Denver DMA. The Denver DMA goes into mountains as far west as Vail, or maybe Aspen. Colorado Springs/Pueblo cover the east of about Aspen/Vail, south and east of what Denver covers, except neat New Mexico and Oklahoma and Kansas. All does with trasnlators, over the air, and what clable/satellite choos eto show. West of Apsen Vail, is handled by Grand Junction.

In other words, one can get Denver locals (satellite or cable) over 100 miles from Denver, Colorado Springs or Grand Junction depending on where you live.

Now the fun part. To get Denver locals, you will have to ask for a waiver from all the Colorado Springs stations for permission to receive the Denver channels. Then you have to convince DirecTV that you are in a frequenly viewed area. The problem here is there are mountain peaks between you and Lookout Mountain, near Golden, which block any signals from Denver. What helps here, TV signals, from Colorado Springs, are blocked by Pikes Peak. Teller County is in a "white zone". You either get Tv signals froma trasnlator, via cable or satellite. Problem here, there is no guarantee that you will get Denver locals, under this method.

You do have another option, even harder, try to get distant network signals. This two requires a waiver and make you jump through hoops.

Why the hassle? The Satellite Home Viewers Act, Congress, the TV Stations themselves and the NAB.

I wish you luck. Of course there is always moving to Breckenridge.

#10 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 958 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:20 PM

\

.....I wish you luck. Of course there is always moving to Breckenridge.

Lived there for a while, Aspen too. Don't know if I will try jumping all these hoops. Just tweaks me a teeny,tiny little cable co. can offer 2 DMA's and Directv can't.  :bang

#11 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,365 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:28 PM

Now the fun part. To get Denver locals, you will have to ask for a waiver from all the Colorado Springs stations for permission to receive the Denver channels. Then you have to convince DirecTV that you are in a frequenly viewed area. The problem here is there are mountain peaks between you and Lookout Mountain, near Golden, which block any signals from Denver. What helps here, TV signals, from Colorado Springs, are blocked by Pikes Peak. Teller County is in a "white zone". You either get Tv signals froma trasnlator, via cable or satellite. Problem here, there is no guarantee that you will get Denver locals, under this method.

You do have another option, even harder, try to get distant network signals. This two requires a waiver and make you jump through hoops.

Why the hassle? The Satellite Home Viewers Act, Congress, the TV Stations themselves and the NAB.

I wish you luck. Of course there is always moving to Breckenridge.

You are getting two things confused here.  One is the waiver process for Distant Signals.  You can only apply for a waiver for one of the big 4 stations if your provider (DirecTV) is not providing you one in your DMA.  In this case, all 4 are provided to the county so you can not apply for waivers.  Even if you could it would be for either NY or LA stations not Denver.

What I was referring to is Significantly Viewed stations which are station that are considered significantly viewed in a county that is not a part of the stations DMA.  The law allows these stations to be broadcast without blackout restrictions for duplicate programming from the in DMA affiliate airing the same programming.  Since Denver is on the same spotbeam I would say that if you can convince the SV stations from Denver, it could be done fairly easily.

Sony KDL-46HX800

#12 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,365 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:44 PM

\

Lived there for a while, Aspen too. Don't know if I will try jumping all these hoops. Just tweaks me a teeny,tiny little cable co. can offer 2 DMA's and Directv can't.  :bang

Cable rules are a little different but we have established that you have the capability to get 3 of the big 4 from Denver.  That won't get done if its not worked on.  Let me know if I can help.  Calls would have to be made selling the need and see where it goes.  It is worth it.  I was able to secure 2 of my possible 3 and I am still working on the 3rd.  Just contacted the company that owns the affilaite I am still working on last week since I was not getting anywhere with the GM.  I am expecting a call back next week to see what they can do to help me.

Sony KDL-46HX800

#13 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 958 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 02:26 PM

I've emailed the GM at KUSA, and am having a dialogue with him currently. Maybe it will go somewher. I really am feeling like a fish out of water because I am not clear what the SVC listing means as far as getting stations to allow DTV to air them.....

#14 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 620 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 11:15 AM

SVC, from how I understand it, was establshed when you have multiple TV stations covering the same geographical area. reas between like:

Boston and Providence

Hartford and Providence

New York and Philadephia

Washington and Baltimore

San Diego and Los Angeles

San Antonio and Austin

Forrt Collins and Cheyenne

In other words, you live in a location that it is possible to receive channels from multiple DMAs. When I lived in Southeast Connecticut, the cable system carried statios  from Boston, Providence, and Hartford/New Haven/Bridgeport. In all the above cases terriain and proximity allow receipt of statiosn from multiple DMAs

In your case, if the mountains were not in the way, you probably would receive channels from both Denver and Colorado Springs. Just curious have you trued acessing the various translators which retranmit Denver channels to the mountain communities? If you can't get a waiver, the stations should at least tell you what channels the transltors broadcast on. This will require a good antenna, though. This may help to see what you can get:

http://www.antennaweb.org/default.aspx

It may also help with the waver, as it will also say what you are suppose to get, based upon your address.

Unfortunately, unlike cable, satellite operates under different laws, thanks to various special interest groups I mentined earlier.

I've emailed the GM at KUSA, and am having a dialogue with him currently. Maybe it will go somewher. I really am feeling like a fish out of water because I am not clear what the SVC listing means as far as getting stations to allow DTV to air them.....

#15 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 11:22 AM

Rules are different for cable.  A local cableco in my area has at least 3 DMAs on their 'unified' system covering many towns.

It is frustrating in my area.  People that have grown up with channels from one DMA (due to geography), wind up on another if they go with satellite and it is even worse, the DMA they get stuck in is out of state, and their local news carries NOTHING about governmental matters for the state they live in.

#16 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 958 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 12:24 PM

Rules are different for cable.  A local cableco in my area has at least 3 DMAs on their 'unified' system covering many towns.

It is frustrating in my area.  People that have grown up with channels from one DMA (due to geography), wind up on another if they go with satellite and it is even worse, the DMA they get stuck in is out of state, and their local news carries NOTHING about governmental matters for the state they live in.

Which begs the question.....Why are rules different for cable? The satellite act was SUPPOSED to make it an equal playing field. Not so it seems.....

#17 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,365 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 30 March 2014 - 05:27 PM

SVC, from how I understand it, was establshed when you have multiple TV stations covering the same geographical area. reas between like:

Boston and Providence

Hartford and Providence

New York and Philadephia

Washington and Baltimore

San Diego and Los Angeles

San Antonio and Austin

Forrt Collins and Cheyenne

In other words, you live in a location that it is possible to receive channels from multiple DMAs. When I lived in Southeast Connecticut, the cable system carried statios  from Boston, Providence, and Hartford/New Haven/Bridgeport. In all the above cases terriain and proximity allow receipt of statiosn from multiple DMAs

In your case, if the mountains were not in the way, you probably would receive channels from both Denver and Colorado Springs. Just curious have you trued acessing the various translators which retranmit Denver channels to the mountain communities? If you can't get a waiver, the stations should at least tell you what channels the transltors broadcast on. This will require a good antenna, though. This may help to see what you can get:

http://www.antennaweb.org/default.aspx

It may also help with the waver, as it will also say what you are suppose to get, based upon your address.

Unfortunately, unlike cable, satellite operates under different laws, thanks to various special interest groups I mentined earlier.

You still seem to be confused.  There are no waivers to check on period.  Waivers are only able to be applied for if you live in a DMA that does not offer one of the big 4, or CW or PBS.  The only way to get an out of market DMA station if you do not qualify for DNS stations is SV stations.  THERE IS NO WAIVER FOR THIS PROCESS!  Just takes some work.  If you can convince the GM at the TV station you are wanting, that can go along way.  I was successful in 2 of the 3 and I am still working on the 3rd station here.  I hope to know more on it next week.

Sony KDL-46HX800

Protected By... spam firewall...And...