Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Notification That Receiver Is Down

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Bretman

Bretman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 08:41 PM

I have several HR24 DVRs that are hooked up to the Whole Home System. Anyhow, the bedroom receiver will crash about once a week and I am forced to unplug it for about five minutes, before rebooting it and then everything seems OK. If I simply use the reset or reboot button on the front, it won't boot. Ditto if I unplug for a period shorter than about five minutes. Often, it will stay rebooted for more than one week. 

I spoke with DirecTV Customer Support and they told me it sounded like it was a hardware problem. They offered to replace the HR24 for free by mail. However, it has many recordings that I need to copy before I can exchange it, so for now, I am doing the reboot trick.

My question happens to be ---> is there a way of being notified thru the DirecTV app (or some other way like e-mail or text) if the receiver goes down and I am away from any TV in my house ? Yes, I can see the bedroom receiver is down when I have the living room receiver on and look at the playlist. The missing recordings from the bedroom DVR clue me in. But I would like to know when the bedroom DVR goes down so that I can reboot it in a timely matter.

Also, any ideas on the crash problem other than what DirecTV told me ?? Could it be because I don't always turn on the bedroom receiver every day and sometimes go a week or more without turning it on ? Does it sound like it could be the firmware out of date ?

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,490 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:13 PM

if you are in your LAN, you can go to the settings inside the DirecTV app and you will notice that the receiver has a red dot instead of green, but the are no "proactive" notifications

There could many reasons for "crashing" one of them could be a temperature issue or a hard drive problems 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#3 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,344 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:18 PM

I'd stop recording anything else to that bedroom receiver and start watching what you have on it now.  Good possibility that during one of your reboots, it won't start up. And when that happens, you've lost everything on it.

#4 OFFLINE   b52pooh

b52pooh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 114 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:42 AM

Have you tried changing the location of the receiver? Swap it out with one of your other HR24's. Make sure the issue is not related to power at the bedroom location.

#5 OFFLINE   Bretman

Bretman

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:54 AM

Have you tried changing the location of the receiver? Swap it out with one of your other HR24's. Make sure the issue is not related to power at the bedroom location.

That's a good idea. I never thought of that. Sometimes there are power problems in different parts of the house (not very often), but when it happens, the entire room or rooms will be out of power temporarily.  It could be that the outlet this receiver is plugged into occasionally loses power. The remainder of the bedroom seems OK. My bedroom alarm clock has not lost power, but it is plugged into a different outlet. If the outlet servicing the bedroom TV is losing power intermittently, it may explain the DVR crashes. 

Let me try plugging the receiver via an extension cord into the power outlet containing the alarm clock and let's see if the crashes continue..If it does, then I'll consider swapping the DVR with the living room DVR. 

Thanks for the tip. 

#6 OFFLINE   Bretman

Bretman

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 09:56 AM

I'd stop recording anything else to that bedroom receiver and start watching what you have on it now.  Good possibility that during one of your reboots, it won't start up. And when that happens, you've lost everything on it.

Your point is well taken. I just need to keep rebooting in order to xfer recordings which takes a lot of time in realtime. and to watch the recordings on the bedroom DVR in the living room.

#7 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,485 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:16 PM

That's a good idea. I never thought of that. Sometimes there are power problems in different parts of the house (not very often), but when it happens, the entire room or rooms will be out of power temporarily.  It could be that the outlet this receiver is plugged into occasionally loses power. The remainder of the bedroom seems OK. My bedroom alarm clock has not lost power, but it is plugged into a different outlet. If the outlet servicing the bedroom TV is losing power intermittently, it may explain the DVR crashes. 

Let me try plugging the receiver via an extension cord into the power outlet containing the alarm clock and let's see if the crashes continue..If it does, then I'll consider swapping the DVR with the living room DVR. 

Thanks for the tip. 

If that's happening in your home, aside from getting an electrician to come get that problem fixed, it's a really good argument for getting a UPS (battery backup) for each of the DVR's in your home.  This way, weird power glitches won't affect the DVR's.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...