Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

EAS Test

#EAS

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 12:06 AM

First time ever (that I have ever seen), programming was interrupted for EAS Test.

It was a DirecTV Test complete with the DirecTV logo - not a local station test (it was on a cable only News Channel anyway).

HOWEVER, the test was for the Los Angeles Metro (where DirecTV is located) and I was instructed to tune to Local Los Angeles Stations if this was an actual emergency.....

well, I am about as far away from the LA Metro as one can get, so that is absolutely worthless for me (and the majority of DirecTV subs).

If I am going to be interrupted for a test, which I would rather not be (although Federally Mandated) at least make it my area! I do NOT need to know about emergencies in the LA DMA.

• Dude111 likes this

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   WB4CS

WB4CS

Legend

• Registered
  • 128 posts
  • LocationHuntsville, AL

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:47 AM

Don't hold me to this, as I have no idea what I'm talking about :) 

I "think" that national providers still have to test their EAS system at least yearly. I remember SiriusXM doing a EAS test last year, I believe it was federally mandated they do the test. If this is the case, it's possible that DirecTV simply used their local EAS system to test. I seem to recall that satellite providers (including radio) have to be able to issue an EAS in the event of a national disaster. 

Again, I really have no idea, but my guess is they just used the local CA system to test. 

#3 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,332 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:52 AM

I "think" that national providers still have to test their EAS system at least yearly. I remember SiriusXM doing a EAS test last year, I believe it was federally mandated they do the test. If this is the case, it's possible that DirecTV simply used their local EAS system to test. I seem to recall that satellite providers (including radio) have to be able to issue an EAS in the event of a national disaster.

Again, I really have no idea, but my guess is they just used the local CA system to test.

this sounds very logical from a person who claims they don't know what they are talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#4 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 12:34 PM

Nope (though I won't hold you to it).

There was a National Test conducted 11/9/2011 because there had never been a coordinated National Test and Govt wanted to see the outcome of a coordinated National Test.

(Hint - large amount of failures even though everyone knew the date and time it was coming).

There is NOT another one planned at this time.

There are scheduled monthly tests (and FioS seems to test weekly) - but to my knowledge, this is the first one I've EVER seen on DirecTV.

Considering was also scripted as a local LA test (as opposed to tuning to local media), it was a fail.

Edited by SomeRandomIdiot, 28 March 2014 - 12:39 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,252 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 04:45 PM

I wonder if the cable need channel is Los Angeles based. Does the op remember exactly which Channel it was?

#6 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 08:33 PM

I wonder if the cable need channel is Los Angeles based. Does the op remember exactly which Channel it was?

Fox News - NY Based

Edited by SomeRandomIdiot, 28 March 2014 - 08:33 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,465 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 29 March 2014 - 02:47 AM

Was it similar to what is shown in this video? (uploaded Jul 30, 2013)

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV   DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 8am-1am ET)   DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25 ($30 with HBO) | 3=$35 ($40 with HBO) | 4=$43 ($48 with HBO) | All 5=$55 per month 

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#8 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,436 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 29 March 2014 - 12:07 PM

Never seen that on the East Coast feeds.  I'd like to see it here too.

Rich

#9 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,252 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 02:21 PM

Well it could simply be that every operator in Los Angeles has to have a eas test on all their channels once a year or so and its just unusual for this because DIRECTV broadcasts nationally but has to test it on those channels since they are broadcast in Los Angeles. And they can't test the system on FOX news in Los Angeles and not have it be shown to everyone.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...