Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Genine upgrade?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,445 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 05 April 2014 - 12:23 PM

The mrv charge exists even if you only have a Genie. Care to explain that?

The Genie is being marketed and sold as a Whole Home Server.  When you choose to have a Whole Home Server installed in your home, you agree to pay for Whole Home Service.  If someone doesn't want want Whole Home DVR Service, then they shoudl choose top get a regular HD DVR installed.  A 5 tuner non-Whole Home Server is not a service that DirecTV sells.  Just as Lexus doesn't sell RX450h SUV's without garage door opener buttons.  If it had bothered me that I was being required to pay for garage door opener buttons, I could have chosen to buy a different vehicle that didn't come with them.

#22 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,445 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 05 April 2014 - 12:27 PM

Not at all. Lexus doesn't charge you monthly for "Garage Door Opener Service". They also offer SiriusXM capable radios as standard but subscribing to the service is optional once the included 90 day subscription runs out.

Any hardware required to do MRV must be built in to all HD DVRs. DIRECTV asks $199 to lease a HD DVR. That should cover the cost of any available features over and above those of a receiver. That they charge every month for a "service" that some cannot use is unfair at least.

They charged me for something that I couldn't possibly use.  What does it matter if it's a one-time charge or a recurring charge?  It was money that I had to spend even though the feature had no value to me.  Nobody made me buy the model of car that I did.  It was my choice and I knew that I was paying for many things that I would never need.  A Genie is no different.  If you order a Genie, you agree to pay for MRV.  If someone doesn't want to pay for MRV, they can order a DVR.

#23 OFFLINE   dishinitout

dishinitout

Mentor

• Registered
  • 258 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 05 April 2014 - 12:35 PM

Any hardware required to do MRV must be built in to all HD DVRs. DIRECTV asks $199 to lease a HD DVR. That should cover the cost of any available features over and above those of a receiver. That they charge every month for a "service" that some cannot use is unfair at least.

Yet how often do people pay the full $199 HDDVR/$299 genie cost? More often they get it free as new customer or free/reduced cost upgrades so thus the monthly cost helps recoup these cost.

You want more advanced service you'll pay more for it not same/less.

Sent from my SM-N900V using DBSTalk mobile app

SL5, SWM16, 1 HR44, 1 HR34, 2 HR24, 2 C31, 1 C41W

#24 OFFLINE   242424

AllStar

• Registered
  • 226 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 12:36 PM

Nonsense it's a money grab, nothing more, nothing less. 

#25 OFFLINE   dishinitout

dishinitout

Mentor

• Registered
  • 258 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 12:47 PM

Nonsense it's a money grab, nothing more, nothing less.

Isn't that why businesses are in business? !?

#26 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 03:16 PM

The Genie is being marketed and sold as a Whole Home Server.  When you choose to have a Whole Home Server installed in your home, you agree to pay for Whole Home Service.  If someone doesn't want want Whole Home DVR Service, then they shoudl choose top get a regular HD DVR installed.  A 5 tuner non-Whole Home Server is not a service that DirecTV sells.  Just as Lexus doesn't sell RX450h SUV's without garage door opener buttons.  If it had bothered me that I was being required to pay for garage door opener buttons, I could have chosen to buy a different vehicle that didn't come with them.

Sure they do, you can get a stand alone Genie. Just because I don't want or need whole home dvr service shouldn't preclude me from getting a Genie and not having to pay for whole home. There is no GOOD reason to charge for it if you only have a Genie. As others have said, it's nothing more than a money grab, pure and simple. The Lexus comes with the buttons for the garage door built in. A Genie is preprogrammed to operate whole home dvr service, but so is the rest of the HR line, and Directv doesn't charge for it on those. It has to be enabled. Your logic is widely flawed.

#27 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,445 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 05 April 2014 - 03:26 PM

Sure they do, you can get a stand alone Genie.

No.  You can't get a stand alone Genie.  It only comes bundled with the requirement of Whole Home DVR Service.  Isn't that what you're complaning about? 

My logic is based on things being bundled  Could DirecTV sell a stand alone Genie if they wanted to?  Sure.  They choose not to.  Could Lexus sell an RX without the Garage Door buttons?  Sure.  They also choose not to.

Call it a money grab if you want to.  Nobody is forced to have a Genie installed at their house.  It someone doesn't want Whole Home service, then they can get a HR2x instead of a Whole Home Server.

#28 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,457 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 05 April 2014 - 03:36 PM

How can I get my hands on one of these Genines?

by calling DirecTV or ordering one from an authorized dealer

I think Tonedeaf was joking about the thread starter's misspelling "Genine" in the thread title.
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#29 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 04:10 PM

No.  You can't get a stand alone Genie.  It only comes bundled with the requirement of Whole Home DVR Service.  Isn't that what you're complaning about? 

My logic is based on things being bundled  Could DirecTV sell a stand alone Genie if they wanted to?  Sure.  They choose not to.  Could Lexus sell an RX without the Garage Door buttons?  Sure.  They also choose not to.

Call it a money grab if you want to.  Nobody is forced to have a Genie installed at their house.  It someone doesn't want Whole Home service, then they can get a HR2x instead of a Whole Home Server.

You either missed my point or you are being obtuse. You can get a Genie without any other receiver/dvr/client.

#30 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,373 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 05 April 2014 - 04:25 PM

The C41 uses RVU which is not the same as MRV.

All RVU does is provide the Remote User Interface (RUI) for home network television entertainment.  DirecTV can limit playlist sharing if customer does not have MRV

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#31 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 04:46 PM

All RVU does is provide the Remote User Interface (RUI) for home network television entertainment.  DirecTV can limit playlist sharing if customer does not have MRV

You have to have MRV with a Genie whether you want it or not.

#32 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,373 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 04:51 PM

You have to have MRV with a Genie whether you want it or not.

I am not disputing that.  My post was referring to RVU vs MRV, according to hrsh's post 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#33 OFFLINE   dishinitout

dishinitout

Mentor

• Registered
  • 258 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:11 PM

There is no GOOD reason to charge for it if you only have a Genie. As others have said, it's nothing more than a money grab, pure and simple.

A Genie is preprogrammed to operate whole home dvr service, but so is the rest of the HR line, and Directv doesn't charge for it on those. It has to be enabled. Your logic is widely flawed.

The good logic for it costing more is that it has more features (PiP, 5 Tuners, double storage and more) your looking for those features while not wanting to pay more than an HDDVR. Yes the HDDVR has a $199 Vs $299 retail price but very little pay the upfront cost so DTV so they make it up monthly. ...

The flawed logic is you associating the ARS at $25 as simply MRV+DVR+HD service when it is more than just that. That is why it is required on the Genie. The Genie has 3 major feature enhancements and some more minor ones and you don't want to pay extra because you won't use one of the features? ! Why would you expect to pay same (or less) for more features?

The argument that dtv makes up the difference in this cost of hardware with the $100 extra it charges upfront doesn't hold water when most of these are installed as free/reduced cost upgrades/new installs.

#34 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,373 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:27 PM

Funny how folks get outraged with a measly $3.00 fee on a subsidized DVR, but don't say anything when they are forced to pay a $30.00 (at the very least with the major carriers) for a data fee when they subsidized an smartphone, weather they use it or not

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#35 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 10:13 PM

Now that is in fact a very good analogy, the smartphone vs the Genie. I have a smartphone because I am willing to pay the cost of the data plan because I get a certain value out of it. I wouldn't get any value from having mrv because I have no need for it, especially if I only had a Genie!

#36 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,445 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:48 AM

You either missed my point or you are being obtuse. You can get a Genie without any other receiver/dvr/client.

I did miss your point.  My point is that, regardless of whether someone gets a Genie with or without additional receivers, the product that DirecTV is selling is a Whole Home Server and they charge for it accordingly.  Whether someone chooses to use the full capabilty of the Whole Home Server is up to you.  But, not using all of the capabilities of the Whole Home Server doesn't excempt someone from the costs associated with having the product chosen.

If someone chose to have an HD DVR, but didn't have and HD TV, should they expect DirecTV to not charge them for HD service because they can't take advantage of it?

Right or wrong, DirecTV is not viewing the Genie as a single TV unit.  That's what 2 tuner DVR's are for.  There is a very small minority of people who want to be able to record more than two programs at a time for viewing in a single TV household.  That's not DirecTV's target consumer for a Genie.

Let me ask a question.  I think that you would agree that a Genie provides added value to a customer with a single TV as opposed to an HD DVR.  In the past, in order to record more than 2 programs at at time, a customer needed to have 2 DVR's (3 DVR's if they wanted to record 5 programs), even if they only had a single TV.  That cost an additional $7 (or $14) per month.  If DirecTV's policy was that there is a monthly $3 "Additional Tuner Genie Fee" that gets waived if a customer has Whole Home DVR Service, would you have the same strenuous objections?

What if "Genie DVR Service" cost everyone $13 per month, but included Whole Home DVR service?  Same money.  Same objection?

Edit: I edited my "small minority" statement so that it more clearly says what I was attempting to convey.

Edited by Bill Broderick, 06 April 2014 - 02:47 PM.

#37 OFFLINE   242424

AllStar

• Registered
  • 226 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:01 PM

There is a very small minority of people who want to be able to record more than two programs at a time for viewing on a single TV. 

You have a link to this? 

#38 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,445 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 06 April 2014 - 01:25 PM

You have a link to this? 

Sure.  According to a Neilsen report, in late 2011, only 17% of households with TV's had one TV.  28% has two TV's and 55% had 3 or more TV's.  A the time, they predicted that in 2012, those numbers would be 15%, 29% and 56% respectively.  Even if every one of those one-TV households wanted Genies, they would be "a very small minority".

I'm not sure if everyone will be able to see the original report from my link (I needed to provide info in order to see it).  So, here's a link to an article that references that report.  However the article has a typo where they state that 14% of 2012 TV owning households will have 1 TV.  The number in the actual report is 15%.

#39 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmatio
  • 4,100 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 02:26 PM

You have a link to this?

A link is not needed IMO.

I want to see link that shows there are even 1million active Genies Period.

Sent from my PantechP8010 using DBSTalk mobile app

#40 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,000 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:00 PM

A link is not needed IMO.

I want to see link that shows there are even 1million active Genies Period.

You'll not see such a link, unless you have access to DIRECTV's internal network and access to management level pages...........

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

spam firewall