Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Genine upgrade?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,423 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 06 April 2014 - 03:23 PM

If someone doesn't want want Whole Home DVR Service, then they shoudl choose top get a regular HD DVR installed.

New customers pay the Advanced Receiver Service charge whether DIRECTV installs a Genie or Plus HD DVR. The difference there is that they have to pay $199 for a Plus HD DVR and the Genie is free.

I wouldn't be surprised if this applied to existing customers who upgrade to Plus HD DVRs at some point.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#42 OFFLINE   242424

AllStar

• Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 04:40 PM

Sure.  According to a Neilsen report, in late 2011, only 17% of households with TV's had one TV.  28% has two TV's and 55% had 3 or more TV's.  A the time, they predicted that in 2012, those numbers would be 15%, 29% and 56% respectively.  Even if every one of those one-TV households wanted Genies, they would be "a very small minority".

I'm not sure if everyone will be able to see the original report from my link (I needed to provide info in order to see it).  So, here's a link to an article that references that report.  However the article has a typo where they state that 14% of 2012 TV owning households will have 1 TV.  The number in the actual report is 15%.

That's the number of TV's, I have 4 tv's and ONE receiver. I do see where you said a "single tv" now but the number of TV's doesn't mean they are connected to DTV so that doesn't tell the whole story. 

#43 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,522 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 06 April 2014 - 06:07 PM

That's the number of TV's, I have 4 tv's and ONE receiver. I do see where you said a "single tv" now but the number of TV's doesn't mean they are connected to DTV so that doesn't tell the whole story. 

Do you really think that there are a lot of DirecTV customers with your configuration?  Do you think that DirecTV wants to cater to people with your configuration?  I don't.  I think that they want people like you to have 4 receivers. 

#44 OFFLINE   242424

AllStar

• Registered
  • 254 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 08:03 PM

Of course that's what they want but what they want and what they get are two different things. DTV should want to cater to every customer they have, every single one. 

#45 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,285 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:17 PM

By making all their stuff work together as they have, older and newer, and no limits on why combinations or how many recovers or DVRs you have other than max one genie at the moment, they cater to more people than most other companies do now. At least IMHO. Charging an extra 3 for the additional tuners and recording is not totally out of line when you look at how other companies charge for all their stuff.

Look at Verizon's pricing on their new six tuner DVR. Vs their regular DVRs.

#46 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,380 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:26 PM

Look at Verizon's pricing on their new six tuner DVR. Vs their regular DVRs.

What is it?

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#47 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,285 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:28 PM

I can't recall the exact but it's not the same as their regular DVR. And I think they have specific pricing for two as well.

#48 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,522 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 07 April 2014 - 01:35 PM

It appears that Cablevision isn't allowing new customers to get a local DVR anymore.  The only DVR service on their website is the Multi-room DVR and it costs $12.95 per month (as opposed to DirecTV's $13 when you add DVR + Whole Home).

#49 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,465 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 07 April 2014 - 02:33 PM

What is it?

From a VZ Fios TV thread over at DSLReports...

DVR TV Only (72xx, 2 tuners) $11/month
Multi-Room DVR (72xx, 2 tuners) $12/month
Enhanced DVR (VMS, 6 tuners) $22/month
Premium DVR (2 VMS, 12 tuners) $32/month

Additional Monthly Equipment Pricing (Must include DVR as 1 room)

1 room $11.99/mo
2 rooms $19.98/mo
3 rooms $27.99/mo
4 rooms $34.99/mo
5 rooms $41.99/mo
6 rooms $47.99/mo
7 rooms $53.99/mo
8 rooms $59.99/mo
9 rooms $65.99/mo
10 rooms $71.99/mo

Equipment pricing may vary as some VHO's are lower.

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV   DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 8am-1am ET)   DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25 ($30 with HBO) | 3=$35 ($40 with HBO) | 4=$43 ($48 with HBO) | All 5=$55 per month 

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#50 OFFLINE   dishinitout

dishinitout

Mentor

• Registered
  • 258 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:07 PM

DTV should want to cater to every customer they have, every single one.

That may work for a small business and keep them in business, but would quickly put a large company into chaos and out of business....

Large companies need the guidelines in place that cater to most but not all, within reason.

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

SL5, SWM16, 1 HR44, 1 HR34, 2 HR24, 2 C31, 1 C41W

#51 OFFLINE   Joe Tylman

Joe Tylman

Legend

• Registered
  • 366 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:53 PM

Of course that's what they want but what they want and what they get are two different things. DTV should want to cater to every customer they have, every single one. 

Part of running a successful business is identifying what customer's you want and what customer's you don't want. The ability to identify and cater to those successfully is what will make a company successful or not. Most companies fail when they attempt to cater to everyone. 

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#52 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,423 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:28 AM

It appears that Cablevision isn't allowing new customers to get a local DVR anymore.  The only DVR service on their website is the Multi-room DVR and it costs $12.95 per month (as opposed to DirecTV's $13 when you add DVR + Whole Home).

If you have DIRECTV installed new with a DVR capable of Whole Home, it will cost you $25/month for Advanced Receiver Service.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#53 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,380 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 08 April 2014 - 04:32 PM

Part of running a successful business is identifying what customer's you want and what customer's you don't want. The ability to identify and cater to those successfully is what will make a company successful or not. Most companies fail when they attempt to cater to everyone. 

Exactly, and the process starts by doing a credit check, this weeds out lots of head aches 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...