Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

My Genie (my friend) called it quits tonight

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   directv newb

directv newb

Mentor

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:00 PM

All of a sudden my screen froze and I figured I would just change the channel and be back in business, but no response at all.  I did a red button re-set and it did a ton of scanning that I won't get into but it kept saying critical error on storage device.  I unplugged for 5 minutes and tried again but it was doing the same thing and I knew the HD was gone.  I paid the $20.00 and they are shipping me out a new one.  It is a sickening feeling losing all your damn shows, my channels, my settings, the whole thing leaves you feeling sick and distraught.  The one silver lining is that I opted for the H24 not a client so I can go and sit in my office and watch t.v. that makes me happy.  I am NOT complaining just whining :)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:49 PM

34 or 44 ??

:eek2:

#3 OFFLINE   directv newb

directv newb

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:02 PM

HR34

#4 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,485 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:01 AM

Maybe you'll get lucky and receive an HR44 as the replacement.  There is a common belief that the HR44 is less prone to hard drive failure due to the fact that the HR44 uees an external power supply, which allows the HR44 to run cooler than the HR34.

#5 OFFLINE   BobStokesbary

BobStokesbary

Legend

• Registered
  • 218 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 11:03 AM

I feel your pain. A few months ago I had an HR24 bite the dust (same critical error on storage device) and take a bunch of recordings with it. And, now I have another HR24 that is just about to give up the ship (it did a low level scan all on it's own and "fixed" 1402 errors). So, some of the recordings that I like on that box are about to become toast as well.

I have no problem with DirecTV copy protecting the programs, but it would really be nice to be able to transfer a recording from one receiver to another when a DVR is about to die. But, I don't think that is in the cards.

I guess a DVR means it is only a time-shift proposition; not an archival medium. Although, I have a friend with an HR22 that is still working just great. So, it is probably an issue that is localized to newer equipment.

Thanks for letting me whine too.

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,497 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 01 April 2014 - 07:52 PM

I guess a DVR means it is only a time-shift proposition; not an archival medium. 

That is 100% spot on! 

Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#7 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,497 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 07:53 PM

So, it is probably an issue that is localized to newer equipment.

Thanks for letting me whine too.

No, is just the "luck of the draw" I have seen hard drives fail in a week as as I seen hard drives last for many years.

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#8 OFFLINE   inf0z

inf0z

Legend

• Registered
  • 261 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 09:31 PM

No, is just the "luck of the draw" I have seen hard drives fail in a week as as I seen hard drives last for many years.

That's exactly it - Hard drives are made by the thousands in a day at any given factory, some times there are bad batches or one that makes it through the quality control test yet still fails due to a number of variables (damage done during shipping of the hard drive, shipping of the receiver, or just normal failure of a device that involves moving parts and circuit boards.)

#9 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 501 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 02:43 PM

I am sorry buddy you went thru this and I hope you dont have anymore issues with your new one!!

:(

#10 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 09 April 2014 - 06:10 PM

I know this sounds messed up but I thought your real friend named Genie died, At least from what I read from the title.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#11 OFFLINE   directv newb

directv newb

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 08:26 PM

I am back up and running with a new HR34, actually it wasn't so bad, just a some work setting things back up and it is weird going to "list" and there being nothing there.  It was funny because at first I didn't really know what to do, I just kept hitting "list" and it was empty and I just had to watch regular tv with commercials until the list got filled back up.  

#12 ONLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,169 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 09 April 2014 - 08:47 PM

A solution to the failing hard drive issue is to use am eSata RAID array.  With RAID if a hard drive fails you just replace it and you have not lost anything.  While the array would still be tied to specific DVR the odds of a DVR failure are greatly reduced taking the hard drive out of the picture.  I don't have any actual stats but i would guess 90% of DVR failures are due to the hard drive.

My Setup

#13 OFFLINE   directv newb

directv newb

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 09:13 PM

A solution to the failing hard drive issue is to use am eSata RAID array.  With RAID if a hard drive fails you just replace it and you have not lost anything.  While the array would still be tied to specific DVR the odds of a DVR failure are greatly reduced taking the hard drive out of the picture.  I don't have any actual stats but i would guess 90% of DVR failures are due to the hard drive.

No thanks, I have used external drives before and had nothing but problems.  The 1tb is just fine and until the dvr is a cloud based service hard drive failures are just something to be dealt with.

#14 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,497 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 09:16 PM

hard drive failures are just something to be dealt with.

Right, but RAID can help to ameliorate this 

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

Protected By... spam firewall...And...