Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Installation Scheduling Woes

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mthouser

mthouser

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 06:56 AM

So I just got a call from directv for a scheduled installation that is supposed to happen today.for a Genie receiver and two wireless clients.  Well, for the third time (I repeat the THIRD TIME), the technican says

technician: i have an install for a genie receiver and 2 clients.

me:  two wireless clients

technician: ohhh.. i don't have any on my truck at the moment.

me:  really, this is the third time this happened.. What is wrong with you people?

technician: let me call my manager to see what i can do..

I am so annoyed at this point. How can you mess up not once, not twice, but three times.  Has anyone else had an issue like this. I fully except a call back any second saying they will have to reschedule. i almost feel like calling customer retention and saying i want a full year of programming for free or i am leaving. .Sorry, had to vent.

Edited by mthouser, 02 April 2014 - 06:56 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,636 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:05 AM

Isn't the whole wireless thing brand new? They're probably not in most of the warehouses yet so you might have to wait a while.

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,734 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:47 AM

I had a very similar situation when I had them move me to supported Whole Home, I also wanted a CCK.

"I don't have any, they are at the warehouse. We'll need to come back out."

That day comes, "Oh, you already have whole home." "Right, I was just needing the CCK." 
"I don't have any, they are at the warehouse. We'll need to come back out."

I ask if they can do it another way, giving them the needed parts list etc. "No."

Call DirecTV, they say I can't self install.

Third tech, same story. Except that he was eventually willing to humor me on the alternate setup.

#4 ONLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:52 AM

Isn't the whole wireless thing brand new? They're probably not in most of the warehouses yet so you might have to wait a while.

Which isn't the problem.  The problem is that they are scheduling and install of the wireless gear when they either know they don't have it, or are not setting the work order correctly.  There is NO excuse for scheduling to do a job you don't have the gear for.

And to do it 3 times in a row is unexcusable!

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#5 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,287 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:13 AM

two things are at pay here. It looks like DIRECTV built the work order wrong, With regular clients instead of wireless. and second, most techs don't carry wireless clients with them due to short supply

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#6 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,853 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:13 AM

First, I agree they should not schedule you if they do not have the equipment you need.  However, I will also say that if there is any possible way to go with wired clients I would do that, you will be much happier in the long run.

#7 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:15 AM

Which isn't the problem.  The problem is that they are scheduling and install of the wireless gear when they either know they don't have it, or are not setting the work order correctly.  There is NO excuse for scheduling to do a job you don't have the gear for.

And to do it 3 times in a row is unexcusable!

The problem is that not all of the techs have the wireless gear in their trucks.  Techs don't stop at a warehouse in the morning, get a list of all of their jobs for the day and load their trucks accordingly (at least, not on Long Island they don't).  Installers are supposed to have all of the equipment that they could need on their trucks, regardless of what job they are assigned.

The tech starts his day at home, with his truck.  He gets assigned a job and drives from his home to that job.  When he's done with that first job, he gets assigned the next available job in his area.  The assumption is that the tech will have the equipment on his truck.

The tech is supposed to call the homeowner while he is on his way.  The next time that you have an install scheduled and the tech calls, that's the time to verify that he has wireless clients on his truck.  If he doesn't, he may be able to get some on his way to your location or he may be able to get the install scheduled to someone else.

#8 OFFLINE   adamson

adamson

Godfather

• Registered
  • 510 posts
  • LocationN Central Florida

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:28 AM

My Directv tech from Mastec did not have my C41W or WVB on his truck either and saw what my install was for...he turned around and went back to the warehouse to get my equipment. Some people care about us customers and others do not. It is beyond ignorance to not know what the install job is...the maybe they won't care attitude.

HR44-700 C41W-100 C41W-100, Choice Package, NFL ST, Distant Networks ABC CBS NBC FOX East/West

#9 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 995 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:14 AM

It's amazing that anyone would excuse the tech for not having the correct equipment. Whether it's his fault, or whoever wrote the order, there is no excuse for not having the right equipment. If it wasn't available the order shouldn't have been written. If it was available, the tech should have gotten it first. It certainly isn't the customer's fault.

#10 OFFLINE   mthouser

mthouser

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 10:05 AM

The good news: the tech found another truck that had the wireless equipment and was able to get it for the install. The bad news is they cannot get it to work. It's not a location issue in terms of signal strength, however it is a wireless bridge connection issue not talking to the clients. He said different software or something to that nature..  He's on the phone now with D*.. a 30 minute install is now up to the 90. yikes

#11 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,565 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 02 April 2014 - 01:59 PM

It certainly isn't the customer's fault.

Heresy!

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#12 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 995 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:10 PM

See, we do agree....SOMETIMES!  :hurah:

#13 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,026 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 02:21 PM

It's amazing that anyone would excuse the tech for not having the correct equipment. Whether it's his fault, or whoever wrote the order, there is no excuse for not having the right equipment. If it wasn't available the order shouldn't have been written. If it was available, the tech should have gotten it first. It certainly isn't the customer's fault.

I won't blame the tech if the work order was built wrong as he had no way of knowing. The question is what does he do when he finds out. Sounds like in this case he did the right thing and found someone who had one and went and got it and is trying to install it. Kudos to this tech.
  • studechip likes this

#14 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,287 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:10 PM

It's amazing that anyone would excuse the tech for not having the correct equipment. Whether it's his fault, 

so since "poop" runs downhill, is the tech's faults.  amazing!!!!

The techs has no knowledge of the next job coming to him, 'usually" sups monitor the "board" for this kind of "installs" and then is assigned to a tech that was trained to install this new "system" as not every tech is trained yet, because there is no too much demand.  add the fact that it may be a wrong work order built, and "poop hots the fan"   but yes it is the techs fault.   :nono2:

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#15 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 995 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:30 PM

"Nice" snipping "job". I "didn't" blame "only" the tech, I said it "could be" who "wrote" the "order". The tech "should" know what he "needs" for the "day" and shouldn't "go" out "without" it. Regardless, it "certainly" isn't the "customer" who is at "fault".

Edited by studechip, 02 April 2014 - 08:30 PM.

#16 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,285 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:34 PM

What I don't understand is how an installer can even get scheduled for a job if they don't have the required equipment on their truck? 

What type of inventory management does DirecTV have?

I would think that when an installer stocks their truck with DVRs, LNBs, dishes and other equipment, they sign for the equipment and the inventory from the warehouse is adjusted to reflect what was placed on that truck. And as equipment is installed at various locations, the truck's inventory is adjusted accordingly.  So the location manager knows what is on any specific truck and wouldn't assign an install unless the required materials was on that truck.

Of course, if the order wasn't written properly, it screws things up, but at some point, the order is updated to reflect the proper equipment. Which brings me back to my original question: how can an installer get scheduled if they don't have the right equipment?

#17 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 995 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:39 PM

What I don't understand is how an installer can even get scheduled for a job if they don't have the required equipment on their truck? 

What type of inventory management does DirecTV have?

I would think that when an installer stocks their truck with DVRs, LNBs, dishes and other equipment, they sign for the equipment and the inventory from the warehouse is adjusted to reflect what was placed on that truck. And as equipment is installed at various locations, the truck's inventory is adjusted accordingly.  So the location manager knows what is on any specific truck and wouldn't assign an install unless the required materials was on that truck.

Of course, if the order wasn't written properly, it screws things up, but at some point, the order is updated to reflect the proper equipment. Which brings me back to my original question: how can an installer get scheduled if they don't have the right equipment?

Ding ding ding ding!!!!!!! We have a winner!

#18 ONLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,287 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:09 PM

"Nice" snipping "job". I "didn't" blame "only" the tech, I said it "could be" who "wrote" the "order". The tech "should" know what he "needs" for the "day" and shouldn't "go" out "without" it. Regardless, it "certainly" isn't the "customer" who is at "fault".

We wish that "would" be the "case" but "unfortunately" it is not.  So they have to rely on "someone" else doing their "job" and this includes DirecTV and the customer "can" help as well by "making sure" their order is right by checking the confirmation email

BTW, you did blame the tech, let me remind you of what you said

"It's amazing that anyone would excuse the tech for not having the correct equipment. Whether it's his fault, or whoever wrote the order, there is no excuse for not having the right equipment"

The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.

Think Differently 

#19 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 995 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:23 PM

Your comprehension skills suck. I said it could be the tech, or whoever wrote the order.

#20 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:33 PM

Your comprehension skills suck. I said it could be the tech, or whoever wrote the order.

A DirecTV CSR wrote the order.  How the hell would he/she know what a tech, who won't be assigned a job until immediately before he's supposed to go to that job, has on hs truck?

spam firewall